Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well, I have been putting it off and putting it off...but Poppy is now 7.5 months old and today I called the vet to make arrangements to have her spayed...and it looks like its going to be this weekend !! :shock:
I am really dreading it...poor little girl! I know that they all have to go through it but I have to have an interpreter with me whenever I speak to the vet (she doesnt speak English and I dont speak Chinese!)
She told me that I could take her home after the operation, but that they recommend keeping her in overnight for observation. What would you guys do? As everything in China, the whole thing is ridiculously cheap...around $100 for everything including the op, anaesthetic, after meds, blood work and an overnight stay.I am just a wreck because this vet is the only one for hundreds of miles..I trust her...but I am still so tense.Please everyone, fingers crossed for my baby Poppy! :(

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Poppy will do just fine! I don't know what I would do. Mine are boys and I've heard neutering isn't as major a procedure as spaying. I'm assuming that if she stayed overnight there would be vet tech's there with her? If that is the case that sounds good. :wink: That would be a difficult decision!

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kari...I think if there are going to be vet techs there all night, I will leave her in their care, but if its a case of leaving her alone, I would rather take her home and be with her myself....I wish it was over!!! :(

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Hi Camilla! Don't worry everything will go smoothly. If she is the only vet in a hundred miles, she has had a lot of experience =) Being Chinese I can tell you that in general those of us who are in the medical field are very meticulous, and I'm sure she will be doing everything possible to make the surgery and recovery go well. I would actually recommend that you allow Poppy to kept overnight, sometimes the excitement of being home combined with the pain of the surgery causes unecessary stress. Being at the hospital provides for quietness during those critical first 12 hours after surgery, and if they have overnight staff, they can attend to her needs and manage her pain.

Good luck! I know you'll be on the boards the day she's done and we wish her a speedy recovery.

-Nate

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
i hope poppy will do just fine ........and i think its a good idea too , to leave her in their specialized care.....

keeping good thoughts :wave:

kisses nat

ps i dread the day i have to get paris spayed....... :cry:

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
We brought Bella home within a few hours of her sx.......Bella was not in any pain, she was quiet and in no distress...she was happy just to sit on my lap. I felt better having her with me and I would not have put her in any jeopardy....our vet actually encourages you to take them home as he feels they settle better and with less tension, they recover more quickly....of course this is if the sx went thru without complications. I would get a translator to inquire if there actually is a vet tech in house during the night.....in Canada this would only be the norm in hospital type practices, not in private practice.
This is just my opinion and you have to make choices that are in the best interest for Poppy. What ever you decide, I will keep Poppy in my thoughts and prayers over the w/e. We all stress out when our little ones are having any type of procedure done and feel immense relief when it is over LOL !

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Well best wishes for Poppy as Bindi is next week so I will be posting then :(
My vet wants us to take her home but I think as long as someone is there overnight with the animals then staying there is best. I will have to worry about Kemo and stuff so that will be an issue.

I guess being home has its advantages but............who can say.

That is cheap!! I will be paying more than double that!

Let us know Camilla what happens!!! :wave:

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I'm sure that everything will be fine but I'll keep you and Poppy in my thoughts and prayers until she's fully recovered.

I would hate to be separated from Lily even for one night (I'm a bit over the edge in that regard :lol: ) but it might be the best thing for Poppy. As long as there's someone there to monitor her, she will no doubt spend a quiet and restful night. If it's a matter of her being alone at the vet's, then by all means take her home with you.

I have a feeling that if you do leave her overnight... you will be far more anxious and upset than Poppy. She'll be all dopey and sleepy so it probably won't matter quite so much to her. :)

Good thoughts coming your way. :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
I agree with what was said above - leave her if there will be someone there, bring her home if not.

I learned the reason for leaving them when I brought Frasier home instead of leaving him. It's hard to manage them that first day. There is no way to hold them that doesn't cause discomfort. That's why it's best to lay in their little recovery cage and not be moved. Also, after being home a few hours, she'll probably want to get up and do something normal like play with her favorite toy, which is of course a no no that first night and it's so hard to say NO when all you'll really want is to see her running and playing normally. Listening to Frasier's little tummy scream for food that first night and not being allowed to give him a single bite was absolute torment for me.

It's hard either way, but if I knew no one would be there, I'd definitely bring her home and deal with it myself. Just keep in mind, you'll suffer more than she will. :)

After a few days - It'll all be over and life will be normal again. :)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I will definitley be thinking of you and little Poppy. I will be going through the same thing with Chloe in a couple weeks. Oh how I dread it! But, it is a comfort to know I have the "support team" on the Forum! :) I'm sure she will come through with flying colors! :)

sandra

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
My thoughts will be with you. I agree with the other posters regarding the overnight stay. If there will be someone there to moniter her, and the vet recommends it, I would leave her overnight. But if there is no one there, I would take her home with me. I know it is difficult to leave them. Know you will keep us posted. :)

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
awe she will be fine. i left my tasha bird for a couple nights. i was worried about trying to keep her still. she was a very active girl and i have steps. and after being away from you the whole day she will be soo excited to see you and you don't want her to be moving around trying to jump up to get to you.

·
Registered
530 Posts
They didn't let you feed Fraiser after his surgery? I would have been worried his blood sugar would drop to low. They told me it was ok to feed Charlie but not to be surprised if he got sick. He didn't get sick he ate his food and I got him some soft food as a treat because he usually just eats the dry, he was really hungry, and he did just fine by morning he was back to himself and I had lots of trouble keeping him still... he wanted to do zoomies all over the living room :)

I know you will make the right decision for Poppy and Charlie and I will be thinking about both of you this weekend. :)

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Positive thoughts to Poppy I am sure all will go fine. Glad I have a boy since it is a simplier surgery. As it was I was a basketcase :roll:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts