Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I haven't posted in a long time or haven't been active either.
Jr went to the vets today for dark brown in between his paws. He has yeast on his feet.The vet said he thinks we got it early enough and medication and wipes should be good.
So I always put Jr on a muzzle when he sees the vet. But today I felt extra nervous. The vet looking him over and the assistant was holding him. And I completely was freaking out. And Jr was nervous but doing nothing. The vet was like has he ever bitten anyone before. I said no but I don't trust him. The vet said that he wasn't even growling and he's just feeding off of my nervous energy. Which is true. I had got to the point where I was going to walk out the room to take a short walk outside. But I stayed. Me and the vet and his assistant talked about that I should be giving Jr more credit. And not assume he's going to try to bite someone's hand or face. As the vets face was close to Jr.
I've never gotten that terrified of thinking he'd bite the vet. But after I calmed a bit I joking said I'm the one who needs the muzzle and we all had a good laugh.
On another note I brought to the attention of the vet that about once a year he has a yeast problem. Last year it was on his back and the years before that he got early infections. He told me it's just what he "has" and he's a allergy dog.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm glad Jr got the medication he needed and I don't blame either of you for being nervous. Maybe probiotics would help?

I'm old enough to remember when young ladies bought yogurt for....ahem....personal problems....instead of Monistat 7 so I'm supplementing Laurel.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol 😄
I never even thought about that (probiotics) I will look at pill form (or however they sell it) at Petsmart. But I can always go the natural way with yogurt.
I'm just hoping that'll do (what they gave him)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Ari, why were you 'freaking out' when Junior was seeing the vet? Has he ever bitten anyone? I always have my hand near the muzzle area on my reactive chihuahua. She is a fear bitter, but has never offered to bite anyone, except me when she was a baby. I got her out of that with a lot of attention and love. I just ignored the snarly face and went about whatever I wanted to do. It took only a few weeks. I think the vet is right, it might be YOU!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He hasn't bit anyone.
When we have visitors he goes insane barking to the point where it's annoying. And I just figure if he gets close he'd bite them.
I saw the vet didn't want me to hold him and I completely freaked and honestly his assistant was doing a great job with Jr. No growling whatsoever. Nervous but allowing them to do what they wanted/needed.
And when the vet put his face near his muzzle I got even more terrified that I held Jr by his collar to let him know I was still there as he was facing away from me. I really don't know why I was just thinking he's going to bite. My anxiety was super high.
I do agree with the vet also that I just was feeding him my energy. I wonder how Jr would do without me. Maybe he'd be a little bit less nervous. They probably could become friends lol
But I did apologize many times afterwards when I had him in my arms again. I was like I'm so sorry for being a pain it's just the way I am. He was like it's okay your fine, correction dogs are more aggressive then him. I was just glad to pay and get out.
But for next visit I will try my absolute best to keep calm and breathe.

On another note the vet recommended a cone to keep the paw dry (stop the licking) and Jr is having a really hard time with the cone. He just freezes and takes him a long time to lay down and just whining. It's going to be a long couple of nights.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Ari, there are some 'inner tube' type of cones that do not restrict his vision. I'm not saying he can't see with the cone on, but many dogs hate the cone like ones. The other option MAY be to use some baby socks?? I tape the top of the sock, and then turn down the top to hide the tape. I only used them in 'school' where we were instructed to use them, to make sure the pup would 'let' you put something on his feet. Many dogs HATE to have their feet touched, and this 'exercise' tried to lessen this behavior.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cone was Jojos cone. I had bought it at Petsmart and I grabbed the hard plastic blue one and a tube one and I asked an employee which one she recommended and she said depends on the dog. She said some dogs "pop" the tube with their claws. So I just went with the cheaper option the hard plastic cone.
I wouldn't trust Jr with a sock over night. I'd feel like he'd rip it off.
Jr does well when I'm taking care of him not to lick. It's when I'm out or asleep he licks his paw. Which the vet said the less he licks the quicker it'll dry. Also why I feel like a sock wouldn't be a good idea as his paw needs to "air dry"
He didn't do too bad last night he finally got comfy after telling him to lay down with a few treats and he stayed put for the night. He does walk funny with the cone which is a bit funny lol

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would take a peek at your local "dangerous dog" laws. Laurel went through a bitey phase and it helped me a lot to know exactly what the laws are.

If somebody abuses my dog and she defends herself before I can protect her, the human is at fault according to the laws of my area. I would fight it in court and win, although not for the reasons we might want.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
When I bring one of my dogs to the vets, I hold the head area as much as I can. Obviously if the vet is looking at their teeth, or throat, the vet has control. I teach my dogs that they are to let anyone (not kids obviously) touch them all over. Teeth, skin, feet (this is hard for many dogs) tummy etc. My vet LOVES my chihuahuas! "Most well behaved chihuahuas I've ever examined". Lots of treats, and 'exams' by me to get there. That said, one of my chi's is a fear biter, and I warn the vet if she has to stay over, to move very slowly around her. They put a sign on her cage, saying "move slowly please" when she had her knee surgery. Did fine. Some kennel personel just grab a little dog, but not this one! Talk with her first.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it's almost been a week (on Thursday) there is little if any improvement as far as his paws and brown/redness. Still taking him pill, doing the wipes, and on Benadryl.
I know it's rare for a dog to have a grain allergy but years ago I put him on grain free and it stopped his itching and licking. It wasn't an occasional scratch or licks it was all day constantly. Beginning of this year I put him on a sensitive dog food. It has no corn wheat or soy but it has grains.
I'm wondering if I should put him back on grain free. The other reason I took him off was because of the "grain free scare" and I thought it's a safer route.
He's eating a salmon protein kibble I really don't think it's the protein.
Also I don't know if I should put him on a grain free kibble he's never had before or give him one he'd eat in the past and did well on.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Ari, I would put him back on grain free, pronto! I'd give him the one he'd eaten in the past. The 'problem' in the grain free scare was the kibble not having 'taurine' in it. Just read the ingredients and make sure your product has it in it. Most have corrected this problem.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Ari, what medication is Junior on? Ketoconozole (spelled? is one that is extremely good. There a lot of over the counter stuff that has this in it. Athelets foot, etc, they all are good for yeast or fungus. When is he scheduled to go back to the vet? After a week this should have cleared up, or at least showed signs of getting better.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wasn't sure if to put him back on grain free or not as everyone tells me he's most likely not allergic to grains and just a coincidence. I will put him back on his old kibble then.
The pill is cefpodoxime (simplicef) which I believe is to treat skin fungal infections.
I feel like it should have gotten a bit better but I'll switch his kibble and see what happens but I know it can take a while for his body to get out all of the "grains"

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Ari, I looked up simplicef on the computer, and I THINK it is an antibiotic. Please call your pharmacist and ask what simplicef is. Meanwhile I think a call to your vet is in order. Just ask him/her if improvement is expected this soon. (simplicef is a cephlorsporin (sp) which is an antibiotic) Maybe ask them if they thought there was an infection along with the fungus.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He did say it was a "localized" infection with possibly fungus.
I went today to Petsmart and bought Jr Authority Grain Free kibble (he does well in that kibble) and I'm going to switch him over
I was looking at his paw and I think it's not getting "better " but because of the staining. Reality is that his saliva was that turned it that color. So maybe it takes it a while for the staining to "go away" I will see when I can bathe his foot in Malaseb shampoo (he still has that bottle of what the other vet have him)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Ari, my white/tan colored chi has badly stained knuckles and feet from licking. When she gets bathed some of the staining comes out. Saliva is the cause. I have switched foods to see if the staining would become less, but so far it has not. She doesn't seem to have any pain in her feet?? Has done it for eons. I would take a flea comb and see if you can get some of the hair free of the darkest spots. I do this with Bonnie, and it does help, at least it looks better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts