Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hoped that title would capture your attentions. lol
Well I am talking about finn. He is waaay too attached to me!! I love it but hate it at the same time.
HE can't stand it when i'm gone...he cries at the door (my daughter told me) and he cant stand to be in his pen away from me, he Yelps/barks CONSTANTLY!!! It's maddening. LEila never did this or any of the other dogs.
When i come home and walk in he is already yelping/barking. And doesn't stop till i get him out. Then when i get him out he is vibrating and wiggling and i can't really hold him without fear of dropping him. He gets whacko man!! :tongue1: My daugher said if i wasn't around she thinks he would die!
So what can i do to thwart this?? I love him more than anything and LOVE cuddling him, etc. but this is annoying and i hate it he is so panic stricken :(

·
Registered
116 Posts
I thought they were all pretty much like that? Mine wont play with toys or anything. He just wants to sit in my lap. Leave him alone for 10 mins and its like I have been gone fore years the way he acts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I'll be watching this thread. You have PERFECTLY described Eden. The other two love me and all and are excited to see me, but this one is VERY different.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
That sounds more like separation anxiety. I wouldn't say that is normal chi behavior. Maybe look up some separation anxiety sites and do some reading (sorry, don't have time to post links).

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
It may not be normal Chi behavoir BUT I think it can VERY easily become normal Chi behavior when you don't create appropriate boundaries & limitations for the ones who have the potential temperment to lead to seperation anxiety. (does that make sense? :) ) Basically you'll just have to let him "cry it out" when he's away from you. Put him in the crate & be prepared to let him whine until he's quiet w/o paying any kind of attention to him (be it saying "QUIET", spraying with water, etc) When he's quiet, let him out. Same for when you come home. IGNORE him. Do not pick him up, let him in your lap, talk, look at, etc until he is calm. It's basically the fact of needing to teach him his neurotic behavior is not wanted or acceptable.

He is a "needy" Chi who has been working on training his mama how to cater to his needs & is doing a great job! :D hehe Also I know it's been mentioned here a zillion times but the "Nothing in life is free" way of training may be very helpful with Finn as well as making sure he gets all the exercise he needs & more to make him nice & tired when he has to deal with his mum being away. :)

Good luck Cheryl--I can see why it's so easy to be wrapped around his little paw. He is the cutest little fella!! I really love Mr. Finn!!! :love5:

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have left him n the crate when yapping and man he doesn't give up easily! lol
He knows what he wants and buddy he's gonna get it! I have squirted him as well. Sometimes I do pick him up pretty shortly after coming in, i guess i will have to ignore him but dang his yapping hurts my ears. I guess some "tough love" is in order. :(
Oh this is gonna be hard!!!:(

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Diesel is like that, so I'd like to follow this thread, too. He's a whiner instead of a barker, and if it goes on too long, he turns into a howler!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Our new puffer Julian is a lot like that. He sleeps in a pen at night; and every morning as soon as he hears that one of us is awake will start howling. If we are in sight of him; we will use the command "Settle!!" in a stern voice. We repeat the command/correct each bark until he stays calm on his own for a good 10 seconds or so; and only then will we let him out. Lately just one "Settle!" and he knows if he quiets down the sooner he can come out. Doesn't stop his little butt from wiggling furiously as he "waits" but he is quiet LOL.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
They do become velcro dogs so easily dont they?:rolleyes:
Is there any other family member that would take them for a few hours?? I think what helped with mine is that I left them with a friend when I had to work or go out at first. This meant they didnt fixate totally on me but gained a little bit of socability and confidence without me there. I never make a fuss when leaving them and now they adore their 'auntie' and cant wait to go see her!! (in fact I think they barely notice when I get up to go!!LOL):D

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi my buster doesnt bark but hell whine like his heart is broken he knows the buttons to push to get me to pick him up good luck they can be very smart at playing pitiful

1 - 10 of 10 Posts