Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am absolutely terrified of getting Toby neutered. At 3.5 lbs, I know he is bigger than many other Chi babies were when they were neutered, but he just seems so small... I'm worried about the anesthesia, the stitches situation, and healing stuff. Overall, just panicking. I was originally taking him in Thursday, but I broke my hand so it has had to be pushed back until I can take care of him fully. I live in a smalllll town, and that is adding to my nervousness!

Anyone have any words of comfort or experiences to share?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Taz weighs 3.5lbs and she was fine when I had her spayed. I was really scared but she was fine other than having an upset stomach and needing some extra pain meds for a few days. I was very relieved when it was done so I know how you feel. The only advice I can offer is go ahead and get it over with as soon as you can. The worry is worse than actually having it done.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
My advice Ashley would be to just get it over with, and until then
simply try to occupy your mind with other things. I hope your poor
little hand heals quickly, that must of been scary! :(

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
My mom was fearful of spaying my Chihuahua because she was so small, so she never was spayed until my mom transferred ownership of her to me. I had her spayed when she was 7 years old and overweight at 5lbs, which made her surgery more complicated than spaying a healthy puppy. Everything went fine, though. It actually went perfectly. She recovered in less than two days and was back to her normal self. I actually had to make her stay calm because she was being too playful for having stitches, lol. And her spay was done at a very small clinic that I worked at, in a small town.

So hopefully my experience makes you feel a little more at ease. Believe me, I was just as much of a wreck about it too. My mom was too afraid to do it, but my vet (employer) convinced me it was the right thing to do for her health to prevent such infections as pyometra. I'm really glad we did it and it's behind us. She's in a better state of health now.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! We are doing it in just over a week now. My mom will be off of work to help me take care of him for a few days. Plus, I find out the results of the MRI Monday, so I'll now exactly how much I can use my hand and whether I need a permanent cast.

Anyhow, I was also a little nervous because they use outside sutures. They said that the vet just prefers them, but I've never had a neuter where they didn't use the glue and/or dissolvable sutures. Is there anything to worry about with this besides keeping him from picking at them?

I would never consider not getting it done. My family has always spayed and neutered. Just got some nerves because he's my teeny tiny baby. LOL.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Jax weighs 4 pounds and he did fine. I like you, was very worried, but he
was better the same night. The next day you couldn't tell he had anything
done at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts