Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vet wouldn't neuter my little boy at 6 months. He's making me wait until at least 7 to let more of his baby teeth fall out naturally. He lost another one today :)

Also, after a boy has been neutered, do they always tend to put on weight?

Guess I should have combined this question in my last thread about weight gain after 6 months.

Would love any info!

xo

One day I will figure out how to post his picture.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
The vet doesn't want to put him 'under' twice. I would wait another month or two. If he starts 'marking' get him does asap though.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Part of the agreement with Max's breeder when we bought him was that we wouldn't neuter him until he turned 1 year old as doing it earlier can cause growth and behaviour problems / increase the risk of bone cancer. I think there are other reasons to get it done sooner though so it prob worth doing some research then you can make your own decision ;-)

As for the question about gaining weight afterwards, my understanding is that if you feed the correct amount and exercise regularly then they shouldn't really gain much weight although they will fill out. It's 3 months since Max's op and we can tell the difference in him, his chest has really filled out but he hasn't put on any extra fat.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
A wise vet, but by no means failsafe ... my little man was done at 7 months & had a couple of retained baby teeth pulled. Last week I had to take him in to get another 10 removed, poor little thing. Mind you, he has an exceptionally small mouth and my bigger Chi's only had theirs removed at desexing time.

I find females put on a heck of a lot more weight after desexing (if allowed) than the boys do, but that's only been my experience, others may differ.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts