Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I wrote in the threat for this topic but no one seems to have seen it, so thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm soon going to be getting a Chihuahua puppy and have done all of my research but I still can't decide on a male or female and have some questions for neutering and spaying.

Does everyone think that neutering is the best thing for your puppy? When I was growing up we had 2 Chihuahuas and several females of other breeds and my mum never had any of them spayed and I never noticed any mess, mood changes and we never had any unwanted pregnancies. My friend's kitten recently died during surgery to be spayed so that worries me. Are Chihuahuhas more susceptible to problems during surgery due to their size? If I got a boy I wouldn't want any of the behaviours that neutering helps to counteract and neutering is a less risky procedure so I wonder if I would be better getting a boy? People seem to have different opinions on the personalities of males and females so it doesn't seem that one is a better pet than the other. Any thoughts? Thanks :confused:

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
The health benefits for both spaying and neutering out way the risk involved. Also vets should do blood work prior to surgery and that should tell if there will be any reaction to the anestesia.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
When considering the sex of our puppy before he got her, I received a lot of advice about the differences between males and females in chihuahuas. I have to say, that all of the "negatives" about females are not true with our little girl. I would choose which ever sex you want. As for spaying/neutering, just make sure that you go to a vet you trust, preferably one that has experience with chihuahuas and other small animals. I was really impressed with the way our vet handled Odie's vaccinations and care, and they also did a surgery on our rat that turned out beautifully. Just talk to the vet when you take him or her for vaccinations or general check ups and see what they have to say about the differences between altering a large dog and a small dog.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hello :)
Yes I spay and nueter all my pets. I try to spay my females before their first heat as this can cut down on chances of cancers later in life. And with both genders it also helps to fix them so that their hormones are more stable, they are less likely to mount, dominate, and roam or try to flee to the opposite sex. And yes it takes away unwanted pregnancy. I volunteer with the humane society here and its said to see how many litter, full litters of pups, older pup, and adult, and even seniors are brought in. So to me spaying and neutering is important. I leave breeding to professional reputable breeders and I have my pets spayed or neutered.
In my opinion a spay is more of a surgery than neutering. Females do bounce back easily especially if they are young but they do have trouble the first couple day. Males usually are fine once the drugs wear off. I always get pain medication, fix them a comfy bed on the floor (so they aren't jumping up onto furniture) and I have even placed them to rest in a crate. I got my first chi Audrey spayed at 5 1/2 months of age and she did wonderful she was sore the first day but stayed resting on the little bed I fixed for her. She recovered quickly and the scar isn't even visible now and she's almost 2 years old now. Sophia my second chi I adopted from the humane society in March of this year and she is 1 year old. She had a lot more pain but after about 3 days, she was ok again. Her scar is larger and still visible. I think they tend to heal better the younger they are but I wouldn't want to get a 2 month old pup fixed. I like to do it right around 6 months for females. And I haven't had a male chi but I've had male dogs in other breeds and I have seen a hormone decrease once neutered. It doesn't change their personality at all, they stay the same fun dog they are, it just cuts out some of the obsession of trying to get to a female to mount her, the urinating on things to mark their territory, and things such as that. So I'm all for getting my dogs "fixed". I have seen even very responisible owners have their dog get pregnant as an accident. It can happen in a short amount of time. And males will try to get to an in heat female and can smell them from a long distance away. So to avoid my male dogs trying to escape me, neutering is important to me. Of course it is still your choice for your dog. But that's just my view on it.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
And one more thing I wopuld recommend is go with a good vet, I stick to the same vet for everthing and anything my pets need. He has worked on many chis and experienced in small dogs and large dogs. This makes me comfortable. And his staff is very nice and the vet techs always handle my girls gently and they are great with dogs and they know how to handle them. And imy vet is a little more expensive than some others in town but they are thorough, they explain things to me and discuss everything before doing anything to me dog. So I am willing to pay the extra.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your opinions! I was pretty much decided on neutering/spaying from what I'd read but you've all reassured me that it is the right thing to do. From my research I think it is best, like you said audreybabypup, to have them spayed before they have their first heat but when they're as old as possible but I'll discuss this with my vet. One question I did want to ask you though, is how do I know if it's a good vet? I don't know anyone with dogs for word of mouth. There is one down the road from me and I don't drive, so I thought it would be best for any emergencies but I've no idea of its reputation other than it is a small vets and they have been going for years. Thanks again.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Word of mouth is best for choosing a vet, and you may want to register with more than one vet. I use one that is further away that I trust for surgery, another is closer, so handy for emergencies. (They are good, but a little over priced for me to use regularly)
As for the actual operations, castrating a male dog is a very simple procedure, it literally takes a few minutes. Spaying a bitch is much more invasive, it is major surgery, like a person getting a hysterectomy.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Regarding the differences between males and females: some say there is a difference, others argue that it depends on the dog. In my own experience, I've found boys to be more cuddly and attached and girls to be more independent (although all Chis are relatively needy). Boys when intact can be difficult, as can intact females.

In regards to sterilizing your pup: Yes, there are risks. But those risks are outweighed by the benefits of the procedure. The risk of cancers is lower, the animal's behavior levels out, and they are usually all around more amicable dogs. It is the best thing for them in all respects. And accidents DO happen all the time- you don't want to be responsible for an "oops" litter or have to RAISE an "oops" litter.

Regarding a vet: I knew it when I walked into their office and talked to the vet. He seemed knowledgeable, conservative with vaccinations and procedures, and an advocate of preventative medicine. I felt comfortable with him and his support staff. He was familiar with chis and their specific medical needs and he was willing and able to discuss them with me in detail. I think it is different for each person; often a "gut" feeling will determine how you feel. Don't settle- I plan on looking at at least three different vets that I have already researched when I move.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a good idea, I never thought about registering with more than one vet. Thanks for all the advice, I finally feel decided. It's lovely to find a forum full of such nice and helpful people =)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts