Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have had so my discussions about this with both people on here and people like my family and friends. I have so many mixed reactions. I am still 50/50 on this. It is one of the hardest decisions of my life becuz I have always said it's something I would never do even tho I would not breed my boy. I know that no one can decide but me but I wanna know if any of you had any regrets whatsoever and tell me truthful if you noticed any change in your chi's after this was done?
As my boyfriend told me he would change if someone cut his bits of!!!

Zola will be 6 months on Sept 16th so I wanna decide for then but really just cant make the descion. If anything goes wrong or changes I will NEVER forgive myself :(

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I have never regretted getting Cooper neutered, with the exception of ocassionally thinking "I sure do what another Cooper... too bad I had that done." Those moments are fleeting though; if I could, I wouldn't reverse the procedure.

I am pleased with my decision and would do it again if I had the chance. I don't worry that Cooper will get away from me and run into the street so he can impregnate a female in heat. I don't worry that he WILL impregnate a female in heat and we'll wind up with MORE unwanted pets in the world. I don't worry about testicular cancer and his risk of other cancers are so low, I don't really worry about them either. I don't have to look at dog balls when he puts his rear in my face. I can take him to peoples' houses and not worry about him wanting to mark territory or hump other dogs. (Ask Cindie - he was perfect at her house.)

I sleep easier knowing that his overall safety and health is and will be better because I had him neutered. To me, that is way more important than his balls being there.

I also believe that there is absolutely NO reason to have a dog or cat intact unless you are breeding them. With all the unwanted animals in our shelters and on the streets, I get aggrevated and pretty angry when someone tells me they don't want to get their animal sterilized for whatever reason. After working with animals that have been thrown out or born on the streets, I would never have an animal that wasn't sterilized in my home. If that offends anyone, I would apologize but it wouldn't mean anything because I'm not sorry I feel that way.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cooper's mum thank you. I am not offended in any way. Thats exactly what I want is peoples true opnions. I know there are risks if you have an intact male with getting females pregnant but there is no dogs at all round here and zola is never out in cold weather anyway.. which there seems to be allot of now.

Thanks again for your comments. Im STILL thinking everything over

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Ive only had one male my first chi Toby,he wasnt neutered and was a calm happy dog,didnt mark,and lived til 3 days before his 16th birthday.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I've calmed down a bit now... LOL

Ask your vet if they do vasectomies on males where they keep the "organs" but are sterilized and cannot reproduce if you and your bf are concerned about him "missing" his furr-balls. That may be a viable option for you.

My vet suggested it when I had Cooper done but I decided not to for all the health reasons I mentioned in my earlier post.

I'm glad I didn't offend you with my post... I just worry about dogs that are not neutered getting run over in the street when they're trying to find that female in heat. They can also smell a female quite a distance away (I think it's something like 5 miles - that may be incorrect) so, even if you don't have one in your general area, there's still a risk.

I hope you decide to get him sterilized - but that's just my opinion. Do what you feel is right for you and your dog but I would definitely talk to your vet about the pros and cons of neutering if you're not sure what the right thing to do is. Too bad you can't ask your pup... that's the only bad thing about the language barrier there - we can't ask their opinions!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know I keep saying 'talk to me zola, do you mind if we cut your balls off' Im pretty sure of what he would say tho. It wouldnt be polite. Im gonna talk to my vet like you said. Ill see what he says and If im not happy with that Ill get a second opnion from another vet to and see what they say.Its definatley the hardest descion ever

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
When I had my male rottie I had him neutered. For all the reasons Coopers mom stated and I never regretted it.
Truthfully, once it's over with they never know their little fur balls are gone. Just like the females don't know there "stuff" is gone.

He won't have to be worrying about that female that's in heat down the street or even if there is a female in heat down the street. Or if another male has come into his territory. He'll just have more time to do what pleases you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello!

It's a dilemma I had with Jack also ashe's just turning 6 months. I don't want to put him through it but was never sure if it was the right thing or not. People say different things all the time so I find it difficult to decide!

One worry I had was about Jack putting on loads of weight as he likes to eat a lot. Apparently that's a common problem but looking at Cooper he looks great!

I love Jack the way he is now - he is perfect in everyway apart from he sometimes tries to hump other dogs (like my gran's labrador - don't know how he thinks they're a good match). Other than that there are no other problems I have with him being neutered.
I know it lowers risk of disease but the risk is already pretty low from what my vet said.
I'm just reluctant to make him have any surgery as he freaks out with needles and don't think he would react well!!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
From what I could tell when Cooper had his surgery, he didn't even know. He had it around 6 months of age (I think it was a little later... we were waiting on a ball to drop. :) ) and I took him in in the morning and picked him up right after 2 or 3pm. He has never acted as if to say "hey, where'd my manhood go?" and I haven't had any "bad" behavior problems with him at all. He is a bit overweight but that's because I'm a lazy momma and don't exercise him as much as I should - he also gets more treats than he should. <smacking my hand> Bad Momma! :lol:

The health risks are quite low with or without the reproductive system but you never know what tomorrow will hold. I consider the fact I had him neutered for about $100 USD or less and now, I won't ever have to pay the thousands of dollars to "cure" him of testicular cancer or pay to have him "repaired" after a dog fight over territory or being run over by a car because he was prowling for chicks. I can spend that money on better things... like fixing his knees after he tries diving into the river. :roll: (Surgery #2 will be next month.)

And I think everyone here knows I'm not a big worry-wart when it comes to Cooper - I'm a huge supporter of kick-'em out the door and let them figure it out - so this isn't coming from an over-protective dog momma. I'm probably one of the "meanest" owners on this board - heck, I *AM* the meanest. :lol:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
My rottie did not put on weight until he got elderly.
If you think he's getting a little overweight, just take him for a walk everyday or take him out in the yard and play ball with him everyday, anything to get him a little extra excerise.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Cooper had his neutering done when he was 6 months. I didn't notice a change in his behaviour at all. He was sore for one night, and better the next day. I haven't regretted getting it done at all. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I think the myth that they gain weight after being neutered/spayed is just that - a myth. I believe it has to do with not getting enough exercise along with overeating or too many treats and people food.

I have to agree there are so many benefits to having your pet sterilized, and I honestly can't think of any good reason not to. Just my opinion of course.

Don't think because there are no intact females in your immediate vicinity, you won't have to be concerned about that issue. Males can scent a female in heat for miles - not to mention that a female in heat will wander quite a distance from home if they are not penned up.

I have quite a few intact dogs that run loose in my area and every couple of months I see another batch of unwanted puppies. It just breaks my heart and makes me so angry. I just can't understand why some pet owners have intact animals and let them run loose. People like that should NEVER be allowed to have pets! :evil:

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I have a female but... I can think of absolutely no reasons against neutering any dog (that you didn't intend to breed) and plenty of reasons in favor of neutering. Those reasons have already been stated quite well.

Please keep in mind that this is not a human being we're talking about. Your dog can be neutered and continue to go about the business of living his life. He will not sit and ponder "What if I hadn't had that done?" If your bf had his "bits" cut off it would change his life dramatically. Zola won't know or care that he's been neutered.

I wish you didn't find this such a difficult decision because to me, it's a no brainer. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment. I hope that whatever you decide, you'll be comfortable with your decision. :wave:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Vicky, I didn't really know much at all about the pro's and con's of neutering a male dog till I read this post. I only know about the benefits for a female. Reading the posts, I agree with Rachael in that I doubt he would be different with you for getting him neutered, he'll always be your little baby. :wink:

With our male cats they were just a little weak for a day, and afterwards they were actually more affectionate and sprayed less, were less scratchy etc. I know dogs and cats are different, but maybe it's a link between the two since they say male dogs become more affectionate too. :scratch:

Although it seems here that the plus points outweigh the negative for your little man, it is up to you what you decide. Please don't let the breeder or anyone else make up your mind for you, people's opinions will always vary. You've got time left to think about it :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Chico was the same afterwards except he may have been a little calmer and he stopped doing naughty things to my daughter's stuffed animals (well almost stopped he has the occasional relapse).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts