Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is 7 months old now & is a little star. I never had any troubles training him. He picked up toilet training very quickly and within a week he would press his wee tiny self up against the door to get outside. I have an enclosed garden and live in a bungalow, which probably did make training easier. I never bothered with puppy pads, as soon as he needed to go, I took him outside. I was so proud lol at how well he done. During the night when he was little I kept him in his bed in my room so that as soon as I heard him move, I could take him outside at night also. Now he never gets up at night and sleeps well past mid day, lazy bones. He also learned to sit after 1 training session (which was 15-20) mins. Giving a paw took a bit longer, he knew what to do but never always done it. Now he can give both on command. He also learned to lie down on command quickly. Honey roast ham done the trick!! Chihuahuas are very smart and love to learn!

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Aww that's great. I agree chihuahuas are so smart and easy to train in my experience too, though they can be a bit stubborn at times. :p I litter trained my previous chi Coco and it went so well for a few months, but she eventually rebelled against it. With Lilo I didn't bother with all that and trained her to go outside right away and wow, just like with your pup it was so quick. I trained her to whine or bark when she wants to go outside and that only took a couple of days too.

Both chis I've had also learned the names of all their toys. My family always had dogs while I was growing up and I don't remember any of them doing that. A lot of people I meet seem to think that chihuahuas are stupid, but they're really smart little dogs. :)

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Proportionately, Chihuahuas have the biggest brains in the dog world. They are definitely a clever breed, but sadly many never get trained at all. Due to their cuteness and small size they are often treated like teddy bears and not dogs.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'm astounded at how quickly they pick things up. Training Frodo was really easy, and Florrie's learning well too. The only trouble is, the smarter the dog, the more easily they can learn bad as well as good things. Both of mine can be very sneaky when they want to be!

·
Registered
152 Posts
They are definitely a clever breed, but sadly many never get trained at all. Due to their cuteness and small size they are often treated like teddy bears and not dogs.
That's one thing I am DETERMINED to show folk once I get our Chihuahua - they are a real dog and do have a brain!!! ;) I live in a rural area where most folk have gundogs & terriers so they tend to 'look down' on any other types of dog :mad:

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Lol Gilly, I live in a rural area also. Many times when out with the dogs I get surprised comments from other dog owners (usually with their Labradors, spaniels, collies or terriers) that you don't see many Chihuahuas being taken for 'proper' walks. They are even more surprised when I say they will walk for miles and are almost impossible to tire out :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts