Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girls had their first raw bones today - They're getting Chicken Wings this evening! We're off to the butchers this afternoon.

I cant argue with the results I've been seeing on here!

And of course, I had to take a video of it! (Sorry if the quality looks bad, It looked fine before I uploaded it on YouTube!)
YouTube - Maisie and pippi RAW

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh wow yay that's some big ol meal!!!! Did they eat any of the bone!! I love raw it iS the best thing ever and even just a few rmbs a week will clean up their teeth!!! It's so natural your girls look like they really enjoyed it

Are we going perm or just the odd meal??

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Also u are so brave putting them in a crate together!!!! The noise from mine would be awful once one finished hah

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Yay!! They look like they really enjoyed their bone! What kind was it?? I can't wait to hear how they do with their wings as well. I bet they'll get through that no problem. ;) I agree too...brave to let them eat together in a crate! LOL They did well though. Mine are ok together until one finishes & then the ones still eating get a bit antsy & growl. Silly puppies!!

Great job though--so happy you've decided to do a bit of raw!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yippeeeeee!!!!! Don't forget to feed meat with those big 'ol bones!! Looks fabulous.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Its all raw from now on! I'll give the rest of the kibble to my cousins dog later in the week. Pip ate most of her bone, and Maisie ate about a third of hers.

And I know its too big a bone for a meal - It was just something for them to chew up. I've got chicken legs for dinner tonight to make up the meat content. Been researching it the past couple of weeks and read just about every post in this section - You just cant argue with the results i've seen in the dogs on here!

My two get along fine even when it comes to food - I knew I could crate them together without a problem! They're usually given their food together in their crate anyway. We do have two crates though incase we need them!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was lamb by the way - Pippi cant have cooked lamb or lamb kibble, but shes been fine on this!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Be careful raw can make them very food aggressive with each other at meal times not all but just be warned :)

Ok so have you worked out how much to feed them on daily??? Just bone in chicken for 2 weeks then new proteins a week at a time!!

Make sure the meats aren't enhanced.. Economy chicken in tesco isn't and it's really really cheap and good to start with :) then you can move onto different meats one bite at a time or you can end up with poo everywhere hahaha

Any questions just ask even if you think they're stupid they aren't but remember slow and steady wins the race

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, Worked it out - From now it'll be chicken only for a while, but I was given the bones and Pip had found them in the bag, so I gave in and let her have them. I was planning on finishing the bag of kibble first but they chose that themselves!

I picked up a bag of the Sainsburys chicken (no added anything, just chicken! Ive been careful to be sure they haven't added salt etc to it) - And they have fresh chicken from the butchers for tonight as the sainsburys stuff is still frozen!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Awesome! Isn't it amazing how they can have it in raw form? Zoey has actually been doing better on raw in the proteins she couldn't have before than she ever has. She eats chicken & beef with no problems. I love it :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Yeah, on raw they may get growly. My crew was completely not food aggressive on kibble--their dishes were spaces only a few inches apart before starting. On raw they get a bit growly because the raw is much more high in value to them. I've never had a big brawl or anything but once someone is done eating & another (who is still eating) notices they start to growl if they think they're eyeing their food. ;) Maybe you won't have an issue but if you do just don't be surprised or worried.

Congrats on going all raw though--woo hoo! That's great! :D

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dont worry, they're constantly supervised while they're eating - I know there could be problems, but im prepared if we do! :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to double check... Maisie is 5.2lb so according to the calculator she should have 2.5oz per day, and Pippi is 10.5lb so the calculator says 5oz per day for her - Would you say thats about right for them?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Are they both at their ideal weight? If so than yes that will be a good starting point. But every dog is different & some require more/less than others. I'd just monitor their weight and/or body condition & adjust accordingly. :)

And yes...I know you supervise them while eating. I just didn't want you to be alarmed if one of them made a growl or something. Sometimes they can be down right scary sounding. LOL

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah - Both are at their ideal weights :) And Pip's a growl-y dog anyway when it comes to food so I doubt Id really even notice if she growled Lol!!!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Nat Maisie isn't she is still a puppy you need to base it on her projected adult weight. A 5lb adult gets between 2-3oz a day she isn't an adult yet I would expect her to be around 6lb grown

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So would you recommend feeding her a little more then?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Yes totally I'd start on 3.5 oz a day and go from there she may need more depending on how active she is if she starts to look thinner you will have to up her amount

Raw dogs grow differently they gain muscle rather than fat which is why you'll notice raw dogs don't look pudgy.. If you look at heathers zoey she is loosing her fat and gaining muscle in place!!

It's best to go by body condition rather than weight start on 3.5 ounces if she gets ribby give her more if she gets tubby cut it down there is plenty of room to play around with raw the more active they are the more they need!! Everything they eat is utilised which is why their stools are so small.

You may notice they detox can get diarrhoea whilst they get the toxins out their system! Also they will drink less as they get a lot of water from their food

How was their dinner?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok thanks :) I'll up hers for tomorrow then. Shes very active anyway so it does make a lot of sense!

and dinner went brilliantly - Pippi finished hers before I had a chance to film/take pics of it, and then tried to get back into the crate to eat Maisies!! I posted a video in the picture section. The cats had some too and 2 of them went mad over it!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts