Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everybody - I just adopted my first Chihuahua from a rescue on March 6th. Pablo is 6 1/2 years old and very sweet. The owners who surrendered him said he was purebred Chi, but the rescuer felt that, because of his long legs and his size (13+ lbs.) he is probably a mix. I know that's twice the UKC breed standard, but he really doesn't look like anything but Chi to me. Not that it matters much to me, but does anybody have input on whether he could be purebred at that hefty size?

Also, has anybody here put a CGC on their Chi? I am taking him to obedience classes starting in April (in a harness, no collar correction!) and was wondering about his prospects. He's very sweet and biddable,and he's already picking up the basics like sit, front, etc.

My dog experience is mostly with Dobermans (my Doberboy, Dary, passed away in February) and spaniels (we currently have an American Water Spaniel named Kali); I also volunteer for Shih Tzu Rescue doing reference checks and transports.

Thanks very much for any advice!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Hello and welcome to the group.. would love to see pics of your boy..

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for the warm welcome! I must really be a newbie, because I can't figure out how to add a pic. It wants a url when I click the Insert Image icon.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picture

Ok, I think I might have a decent picture now. He does this "sit pretty" thing almost perpetually - I am trying to train him out of it, to save his back, and rewarding him for normal sits. It's hard to discourage him, because it's cute as all get out, but I know it can't be good for him.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Hi and welcome to the board! He is a cutie! :)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi and welcome i think pablo looks all chih i also think chihs come in many sizes im no expert im sure more experianced chih owners will answer

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Welcome! He looks like a full chi to me too, but sometimes theyre a mix and you would never know it. It is certainly possible for a purebred chi to be that size though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts