Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so today hubby decides to surprise me with another chi puppy. He apparently rescued him from a customer who got the puppy, then decided they didn't want him after all, they had stuck the poor thing in a kennel outside!! I wonder if they didn't want him because he's an accesssive humper! The little thing hasn't stopped humping anything & everything since we brought him home!! I sure hope this stops once we get him fixed, but he's only 4 months old so I think he's too young yet to be fixed???

So far he seems to be settling into the household quite well, apart from the humping issue. Peanut & Butters are becoming good friends.....Kobi is still a little unsure of him as yet.

Anyway, here's some pictures of him.....his name is Peanut!

Introducing Peanut

Peanut & Butters getting to know each other.

Peanut & Butters on the way to becoming best buddies!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Normally neutering is recommended around 6 months as you know but many rescues do pups earlier even 8 weeks, and if he's already showing such excessive signs of hormones he could just be an early grower? Just like people dogs develop differently. Honestly if it was me I would probably neuter him sooner rather than later, unless you find the behavior decreasing or its manageable (ie he listens to your command to stop) But of course neutering may not cure it either... Are you guys sure of his age?

That being said.... ADORABLE. Congrats! Glad Butters likes him. They look like they're long time friends already!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We didn't get him from a rescue. He was the result of an accidental litter (so we're pretty sure of his age) and the owners had trouble finding a home for him, so they were about to take him to the animal shelter because they couldn't afford to care for him. We definately do plan on neutering him and will discuss how soon we can get it done when we see the vet for his wellness check. Hopefully we won't have to wait until he's 6 months.

But just wondering, could all this humping just be because of his new environment and him trying to establish his place in the pack? He's been humping Butters, pillows, toys and us.....Kobi won't let him get near enough to hump him! I'm hoping that once he feels settled, the humping compulsion will decrease.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I knew you didn't get him from a rescue I was using it as an example, many rescues/shelter S/N BEFORE letting pups go home, even if they are very young. Saying it can be done. He probably is doing the humping trying to establish his place but as far as I know puppies don't normally display so much of that behavior until the hormones start kicking in. He isn't trying to mate with your dogs, or toys, or leg or whatever it is he's humping, the hormones don't just control sexual urges.
But I also know a lot of neutered dogs who still hump a lot. So ya never know. Hopefully it will fix it! Most dogs will still occasionally hump, male or female.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My Rottweiler mix is neutered and when I was dog sitting for someone else he kept going crazy and humping the other male dog and vice versa, maybe he is just trying to establish his level in the pack and its a new environment and all so exciting too him.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
ohhh he is ssoooooooooooo cute! i love the first photo of his sweet little face.

my friend's chi puppy is 4 months and is a total HUMPER.. I think it just depends on their personality too... he humps everything and everything lol

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
from everthing i read and talked about, humping is a dominence issue, we had a male neutered and he still humped and peed on everything, if you put your hanbag on the floor he would find a way of peeing inside without you seeing

all that aside hes lovely good on hubby for bringing him home, he has a nice family now

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Maybe he's humping all the time as that was the only thing he had to do when he was outside in a kennel ??? Just a thought

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone! The humping has stopped today....haven't seen him hump once so far, so I think it must've been anxious humping, new environment, people, dogs, etc. He seems quite settled today and Peanut & Butters have become inseparable!! Kobi, however is just tolerating him and is not interested in playing with him just yet....at least he's not being aggressive towards him, he just moves away when Peanut comes near.

The poor little thing doesn't even know how to play with toys, so I'm guessing he had none when he was outside in his kennel. I don't know why anyone would keep Chi's outside either, even though we live in the south, the winters can still get very chilly, especially for a short coat chi!

Now back to the wonderful world of potty training....Yay!!.....lol NOT!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts