Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new here. I am getting my first chihuhua puppy from the breeder in late October. I need help please, How do I feed a Chi puppy raw? I do already feed my dog and cat raw but this will be my first small dog ever and my first puppy to feed raw. Thanks for any help. I want to make sure I will be doing it just right for a chihuahua puppy. I want her to grow perfectly :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Hi

Welcome to the forum how old will your puppy be when you get her/him?

Both my puppies are raw fed I starte one at 10 weeks as I got her early and the other at 12 weeks. Are you doing prey model with yours?? You want to start with bone in chicken for a couple of weeks once their stools are firm and consistent you can add different meats one bite at a time too much at once equals sloppy stools!! Puppies generally adjust well and quickly ice you've added a number of proteins you will need to add organ meals again a bite at a time.

We fees 80% meat, 10% bone 5% liver and 5% another secreting organ like kidney!!

You'll learn to know your dog over time and adjust as needed my oldest needs a bit more bone coz she has sloppy poos and tummy problems!!

Kudos for feeding raw tho I think it's the best diet any carnivore can have!!

Oh you will need to know what their expected adult weight is to work out their meals or you can do up to 8% of their weight as a puppy both my 10 month old and 14 week old have 2oz a day

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Sarah covered it! Just jump right in with a bland meat such as chicken or cornish hens. Puppies adapt pretty quickly so after you get her acclimated and eating well on the chicken, you can gradually add in other proteins.

If you have any questions - let us know and we will help you.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I feed My shar-pei the BARF style. I do not have access to full carcasses here but I am able to find a variety of organ meats and young chicken. My Shar-pei gets chicken quarters and backs, pork rib and meat, and anything else I can find. My cat gets dove because my uncle hunts. My kitty also gets canned mackeral and sardines as does my shar-pei. And really I try anything I can find. I Do feed my shar-pei small amounts of vegetable mushed to mimic the vegetable found in the animals stomaches of prey. And She gets yogurt and cottage cheese. Does it sound like the right track for my chi?

My little Chi will be 10 weeks when I get her. I've named her Audrey Lyn. She is dark brown short hair with black on her muzzle. I am sooo excited to get her I cannot contain myself! It seems like the longest wait ever!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I am not very familiar with BARF. I feed prey model which is 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver and 5% other organ. It's easy and simple. No veggies, no diary, no cheese, etc. However, if you are comfortable feeding BARF, then go ahead! I don't myself because the research I've done points out that wild canids shake out the stomach contents of their prey and that dogs don't have the digestive enzymes required to digest vegetables. So basically it just acts as a fiber and passes on through. I'm sure small amounts of vitamins get absorbed though. It's just what you are comfortable with.

The important thing is to remember to feed lots of meat *80% of the diet* and then fill in the rest with raw meaty bones and organs. I use cornish hens almost exclusively for my bone content or chicken wings. The rest is meat. You can certainly use the doves for your little puppy! Bet she would go to town on them. :)

Welcome and can't wait to see pics of Audrey Lyn! She sounds adorable!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Sarah & Tracy have covered it pretty well. I've been feeding my chi, Zoey raw for 2 months now, and she's doing great on it. I don't feed veggies but for an occasional treat as dogs/wolves don't really eat the stomach contents of their prey. I use Cornish hens for the boney pieces, and also give Pork Neck & Beef Ribs for Zoey to gnaw on although she doesn't eat the bones entirely on the pork/rib bones, but she loves ripping & tearing at it.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Daisy and lotus will eat pork ribs :roll: pigs

They had wood pigeon today so doves would be fine just freeze them before hand for a couple of weeks if they've been hunted

I don't feed barf either oh I found amazing pics somewhere of proof that they don't eat the stomach contents I must find it abd post it!! But if you're comfortable then feed it I would do what you do fir your others just in smaller amounts

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I don't feed barf either oh I found amazing pics somewhere of proof that they don't eat the stomach contents I must find it abd post it!! But if you're comfortable then feed it I would do what you do fir your others just in smaller amounts
Are these the pics you are talking about Sarah? I find them so fascinating!! I started a new thread with them. :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Besides wings, what else is a good bone source for Chi? My little Audrey will be my first small breed dog so I am tying to lean as much as possible about the beed.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Besides wings, what else is a good bone source for Chi? My little Audrey will be my first small breed dog so I am tying to lean as much as possible about the beed.
Can you get cornish hens? They have edible bone all the way through. They are just young chickens. If you have access to quail or rabbit, those bones work well too. Also Farmland has pork riblets (like applebees sells) and they have edible bone. Our Walmart also has lamb breast which is very fatty, so trim that off, but there are edible bones there as well.

Also chicken necks and chicken feet work for bone heavy meals. You can add extra boneless meat on the side.

I like to start with cornish hens. The ones we have weigh one pound. So if you cut them up into about 8 pieces of meat and bone, you've got 2 ounce pieces ready to feed. :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
My Zoey weighs 4.5#, about the only 'edible' bone she eats is Cornish Hens and chicken wing tips. She has a hard time with bigger bones than that. She does gnaw on Beef Ribs and Pork Neck Bones and will wither away some of the bone but not much, mostly just pulls off the meat. One thing I found is the tinies don't necessarily need bone with every meal. Zoey gets it every 4-6 meals and does just fine with that. I judge by her poops. She gets boney meals with her organs as well to help with any issues....she's been really easy to give raw too, no diarrhea or anything.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hey, im only just reading about this raw diet stuff! i didnt know it existed, but i am interested!

Fiddle is 4m nd almost 2weeks. if i wanted to change over to raw feeding what would the proccess be? and what meats?

Thanks!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Hey, im only just reading about this raw diet stuff! i didnt know it existed, but i am interested!

Fiddle is 4m nd almost 2weeks. if i wanted to change over to raw feeding what would the proccess be? and what meats?

Thanks!
1. Throw out the kibble or donate it to a shelter.

2. Buy a cornish hen or small chicken and get started. Feed bone-in chicken for the first couple of weeks until stools are stabilized. You will add in other proteins slowly. Most people start with chicken.

Depending on the weight of your puppy, you will start out with about 3% of their projected adult weight. So if you are thinking your pup will end up about 5 pounds, then you would feed 2-3 ounces a day. Split it up into several meals.

There are several people here who are feeding puppies who can help you.

You can also go to the beginning of the raw forum and read the sticky thread about starting on a raw diet. Lots of links and info there.

To sum it up, you will eventually be feeding mostly meat (80%), along with 10% edible raw bone and 10% organs (5% being liver). Voila! Easy! :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
1. Throw out the kibble or donate it to a shelter.

2. Buy a cornish hen or small chicken and get started. Feed bone-in chicken for the first couple of weeks until stools are stabilized. You will add in other proteins slowly. Most people start with chicken.

Depending on the weight of your puppy, you will start out with about 3% of their projected adult weight. So if you are thinking your pup will end up about 5 pounds, then you would feed 2-3 ounces a day. Split it up into several meals.

There are several people here who are feeding puppies who can help you.

You can also go to the beginning of the raw forum and read the sticky thread about starting on a raw diet. Lots of links and info there.

To sum it up, you will eventually be feeding mostly meat (80%), along with 10% edible raw bone and 10% organs (5% being liver). Voila! Easy! :)
ok, at risk of making myself look like a moron, im still going to make sure haha. So, dogs can eat raw chicken? how come us ppl cant??

Also, how do i figure out the projected weight? When i first got her at 12 weeks/3months she was 600gms... which is 21.5oz and at 16 weeks/4months she was 750grams ... thats 26.5oz

bone in chicken is just like, if i cut off a wing and gave it to her?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Just wanted to throw in there that there are commercial raw food diets too out there that some like (like me) if I like the idea of raw without having to actually make it all the time. I have a hard enough time making dinners for my family. Honest Kitchen is one I believe and I use Sojos complete. But they also have formulas that you add only the meat. So, there are easier ways. It's debatable if it's "raw" or not in that it is freeze dried and you re-hydrate, but there are also some frozen meals too. I just started switching the puppy to Sojos instead of her puppy kibble mostly because she got into the older dogs' food and loves it. :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Awesome! Thanks Guys for all the info, i will let you know how it goes!!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I feed two puppies raw one is 14 weeks one is 10 months ask any questions none are stupid I still always ask stuff and I've always fed raw!!

Basically the reason they can eat raw meat and bones is because they are canines tier digestive tract is totally different to ours their stomach acids are made to digest through meat and bone... Think wolves all dogs descend from them and in the wild they didn't pop tonthe shop and buy some kibble.

Those who do pre made raw (ziwi, thk etc) should feed a few bone meals a day for teeth cleaning ad stimulate them.

To find out their projected weight you should speak to the breeder theyshould have an idea it's best to go by what their parents weighed and rule of thumb is double 12 weeks weight and add a pound. Although this doesn't always run true!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Just wanted to throw in there that there are commercial raw food diets too out there that some like (like me) if I like the idea of raw without having to actually make it all the time. I have a hard enough time making dinners for my family. Honest Kitchen is one I believe and I use Sojos complete. But they also have formulas that you add only the meat. So, there are easier ways. It's debatable if it's "raw" or not in that it is freeze dried and you re-hydrate, but there are also some frozen meals too. I just started switching the puppy to Sojos instead of her puppy kibble mostly because she got into the older dogs' food and loves it. :)
Tricia - thanks for mentioning the pre-mades! Yes, they are a great alternative to kibble if you aren't quite ready to go full raw. In the states, I like Stella and Chewy's, Primal, and Bravo. Nature's Variety is fine too and it's available at a lot of retailers. You can either do the frozen nuggets or the freeze dried. Wysong Archetype is another alternative and it's good.

ZiwiPeak is an excellent food, as is Honest Kitchen. They are both that extra step above kibble and on par with the raw diets.

It's important to educate yourself on the different choices. There are so many good ways to feed our dogs other than kibble. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts