Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! I'm new here. I have been mentoring with an AKC breeder for the past year and I have 4 chihuahuas - 2 of whom I plan on breeding, and 2 great danes (not planning to breed -a LONG story that I will post soon).

I'm having a bit of a panic attack because I think my young, first estrus bitch may have had an accidental tie this evening. I'm going to post about this in the appropriate forum but would love advice/feedback. She is a potential breeder bitch due to be evaluated by a handler later this month and a breeding this young is not desired. :(

Please look for my post regarding her cycle and how this happened (short story, I'm post-surgery and in laws are here and allowed access).

Thanks for the feedback!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I read your other post.

I see no option other than having the puppies. If your bitch has problems, that is just the way it is.

If she were mine, I would do the mismate shot. On her first season, likely under a year old, she is too young to be having puppies. The risks would outweigh the benefits in my opinion.

What does your mentor say????

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would have to agree with getting the shot. It isn't worth risking the momma at such a young age to have a litter of pups.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read your other post.

I see no option other than having the puppies. If your bitch has problems, that is just the way it is.

If she were mine, I would do the mismate shot. On her first season, likely under a year old, she is too young to be having puppies. The risks would outweigh the benefits in my opinion.

What does your mentor say????
My mentor brought up MisMate but agrees that she's late in her cycle for it and her pyometra risks would be elevated, which is also what my vet said. She mostly lectured me about not being more careful; which is completely understandable and deserved.

My vet was optimistic and encouraging, which was a welcome surprise. Their protocol (she explained that they use an algorithm to determine the best course of management) actually didn't indicate the MisMate. Her only abortive suggestion was prostaglandin injections (Lutalyse) but she leaned toward a wait and see approach given how late in her cycle the possible tie was. I am hopeful that the breeding won't take but after hearing their experience with similar situations I'm glad to know I'm in good hands as far as pre- and perinatal care goes. She (the vet) also noted that Stella has nice hips should the circumstances lead to a whelping situation (although c-section is more likely given her age and inexperience). My vet practice isn't necessarily pro-breeding but they are very kind and understand my reasons for desiring to breed. She noted that there are plenty of other clients who are less informed, prepared, or studied and she's seen the negative side of breeding enough to be opposed in general but she was gracious enough to recognize my efforts and quality of life I give all my pets so I feel we have a great partnership for the future. She is also surprised by my chihuahuas and their temperaments compared to others in their practice. I feel that's a testimony to early training and socialization and an indicator that there are still too many chi owners that don't understand the importance of early conditioning! Overall she spent over an hour with us and I left feeling much more reassured and confident in my medical staff! (They're still not fans of raw diet but I'm working on them - lol)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the group. So sorry you are going through what you are.
Thanks! And thanks for posting on my other thread as well...I'll keep you posted!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts