Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cleaning lady just stopped by my house yesterday morning and gave my daughter a chi puppy. I'm not going to say that I'm thrilled to have a new 8-week old puppy in the house, but the pup is absolutely adorable and we are already half in love.

I used to show labs before I had children. We have always had a veritable zoo at our home, and the cleaning lady is well aware (perhaps too aware) of this. Hamsters, a hedgehog, and assorted fish have made their home here along with our two dogs--a Sheltie and an Eskie--and our two cats.

I have never had a toy breed. Our current fluffballs are the smallest dogs we've ever had before yesterday. After the unexpected addition to the family, we went to buy food. I feed the others Bil-Jac so I bought the puppy Bil-Jac Small Breed Puppy food. Is this okay to feed? Any feedback is appreciated.

I have ordered a pet pen from Amazon as others on here have recommended. I am concerned about housebreaking. I know that toy breeds come equipped with tiny bladders. I work and cannot be home in less than 4-hour increments, so we are going to try puppy pads. Any thoughts?

We have a vet appointment scheduled this week and I will ask the following questions, but any feedback is appreciated. We keep our home fairly cool--68 to 70 degrees. Is this too cold? The puppy is so tiny that the smallest clothes we could find don't fit. We live in south Texas, so fleas and ticks are a year-round problem. Can you use a flea/tick preventive? Are there any special health concerns I need to be aware of?

I'm sure I'll be stopping by often with questions. TIA for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
85 Posts
welcome to the forums and congrats on ur new pup! i dont have a lot of answers to ur questions but im sure someone around here will. post some pics please :)

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Welcome, Congrats on your new baby and welcome to the forum. We are glad you are here! My little guy, Quigley, is 2.5 lbs and I have trouble finding shirts for him sometimes. When he was a baby (17 oz at 12 weeks) I made him a sweater out of a sock. It worked well and kept him warm. If your home is that cool all the time I would suggest a sweater or sock sweater for him. You can also cover his kennel with a towel or blanket to hold his own warmth in. I also keep a bell on Quigley's collar so I know where he is all the time. Although I NEVER attach a leash to his collar as toy breeds tent to have delicate trachea's. For leashing him I use a harness. I keep the collar with the bell and his name tag on in the off chance that he gets away from me and gets lost plus I can always hear where he is. It is very important that he eats. Please read up on Chihuahua's. There are a few things that are very important for chi pups. Their sugar can drop You probably won’t experience low blood sugar (with your particular puppy) but, in the event that you do, it is an emergency. Small dogs, especially Chihuahuas, have a very small fat reserve around the liver. When they get stressed for some reason (like going to a new home), or if they play too hard (using a lot of energy), or miss a meal, the fat reserve is used up and the body will begin to draw upon the blood sugar for energy. If this condition is left unchecked the dog will grow progressively weaker until it falls into a coma and eventually dies. The good news is that this condition is easily arrested and puppies that do experience hypoglycemia will usually outgrow it by 16 weeks of age. Your goal, as a new owner, should be to keep the puppy s stress level as low as possible during the critical period. Signs of hypoglycemia vary; usually the dog will get a sad forlorn look on its face, then it will become inactive, eventually staggering, falling down, or just laying down, followed by what looks like sleep. This sleeplike condition will turn into a form of tooth-clenching seizures and spasms, followed by a comatose condition, and, eventually, death. Not all symptoms may be seen at any one time so watch for any lethargic behavior or lack of coordination. If your puppy seems too sleepy, wake him up, stand him up and make sure he stands and can walk normally. If he lies back down, falls, or staggers, then get some sugar into him. Keep some honey on hand for this reason. If you are unsure of how to proceed then call your breeder and/or your veterinarian.

Again, we are so glad you are here. Looking forward to seeing pics of your new addition!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Hello and welcome to the group and to the world of chis.. They are quite addictive, lol, so beware...

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I hope you can post some pics of your pup. Name? It sounds like you have lots of animal experience and lots of animal love. So , I'm sure your new addition will be well-loved and cared for. :)
Great advice above. As for potty training, I use a grass litter box system and it works well for my chis. (2 out of 3. The 3rd only goes outside). But many use potty pads well.
Can't wait to see pics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts