Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ! I will be getting my chihuahua in a couple of weeks ! I am so excited and I am trying to gather all the items he will need before he is able to come home. I Have his bed and pee-pee pads already. I am wondering which is the best pen to get for him during his housetraining sessions and to find one that is big enough to have his crate inside to as his den. I was told that a baby play pen is fine; but I am not sure if a crate/carrier will fit in there. Also I heard the portable pop up (pictured below) one are good too but have multiple cons! If you can help me I would greatly appreciate it !

Also I would greatly appreciate it if someone can post pictures on here of their set-up.

Thanks!
Hope to hear from someone soon !

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Hi and welcome to the board! :)

I am going to move you to Chi questions so you may get more feedback there. You can do a search here and you will answers to some of your questions :)

As for the crate, an xpen during the day with a small crate, pee pad, water, food, bed and toys for during the day when you are not around and a crate at night (just large enough for him to have a bed and to be able to stand up and turn around in). I do not see a picture? I used a baby play pen when one of my was a pup but when they jump around in it, it gives a bit and would make a mess with food and water. Sorry no pictures. Mine are older now and have free run of the house during the day and are in an open laundry room with a baby gate (with an opened door crate) at night. I wouldnt suggest a laundry room or bathroom area while they are young as it can be very scary and overwhelming to them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and welcome to the board! :)

I am going to move you to Chi questions so you may get more feedback there. You can do a search here and you will answers to some of your questions :)

As for the crate, an xpen during the day with a small crate, pee pad, water, food, bed and toys for during the day when you are not around and a crate at night (just large enough for him to have a bed and to be able to stand up and turn around in). I do not see a picture? I used a baby play pen when one of my was a pup but when they jump around in it, it gives a bit and would make a mess with food and water. Sorry no pictures. Mine are older now and have free run of the house during the day and are in an open laundry room with a baby gate (with an opened door crate) at night. I wouldnt suggest a laundry room or bathroom area while they are young as it can be very scary and overwhelming to them.
Thank you ! The crate that I would in the exercise pen can be the one used at night for his bed ? I was looking at this type of exercise pen; the link is below. What your opinion on it ? It seems large enough to put the crate in an etc. I have carpet flooring and I though that might be the best fit.

Dog Pet Play Pen Extra Large Playpen Maroon | Price, Reviews, User Ratings, & Comparisons at Petstew.com

·
Registered
30 Posts
That looks quite nice, i just don't think i'd want such a huge thing in my house lol. :p

If you have carpet you will need to be prepared for some damage. Until you have toilet trained your pup is going to have accidents so i would at least train your pup to use a pad if you're going to be out :)

I'm planning to baby gate my bathroom and have my pup in there if i need to go out, lino floor is waaay easier to clean :D:D

I couldn't crate a dog while i was out, just seems mean so mine will only be used at night. After a while, my dog will have free run of my house.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Is that the larger size? If so then I think it would work great. We have one that we take with us on vacation. Be cautious and read reviews though as one of the different name brands said that it was very difficult to clean so make sure you get the one that has a bottom that zips out and can be washed. Yes the crate you use in that can be used as night time crate. Are you going to permanently pad train or will you be teaching him to go out? It is very important not to leave them unattended in the home when you cannot watch them. When you have him out you need only allow him a smaller space in the house where you can have full view of him. If this isnt an option then you can tether him to you so where you go he goes. Also make sure that you take him to potty when he first wakes up whether from a nap or first thing in the morning, after he eats or drinks water, and right before bed. You also need to take him out during random parts of the day especially if you see him sniffing around. If you are going to permanently pee pad train him then take him to his pad at all the above times. Make sure you have a pee pad that has a strong urine scent ;-) Never scold them or hit them for having an accident they just do not understand this. I believe in and have always had great success with positive reinforcement. Praise, praise, praise! If he potties on his pad or outdoors then get really excited and praise him you can also give him a treat. He will quickly learn what you are wanting him to do. Scolding and hitting can confuse him even more and can result in more frustration for you and your dog as well as him never learning to go where he should go. I am sure you are not going to hit/pop your Chi but I always like to add this as you would be surprised at the amount of people that still feel this is a way to discipline :-(

Again, I will mention that baby gating a tiny chihuahua puppy in a bathroom, etc... can be overwhelming to a baby as they need security and feel more comfortable in smaller spaces. mishka- I would strongly suggest a small crate with a door open for your Chi to be able to seek refuge in while in the bathroom (if you do not already have one for this purpose) Like a Wolf seeks out a den to live in, a dog is also more comfortable in a den/crate. They need their own place where they can go and get away from it all so to speak :) JMO

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is that the larger size? If so then I think it would work great. We have one that we take with us on vacation. Be cautious and read reviews though as one of the different name brands said that it was very difficult to clean so make sure you get the one that has a bottom that zips out and can be washed. Yes the crate you use in that can be used as night time crate. Are you going to permanently pad train or will you be teaching him to go out? It is very important not to leave them unattended in the home when you cannot watch them. When you have him out you need only allow him a smaller space in the house where you can have full view of him. If this isnt an option then you can tether him to you so where you go he goes. Also make sure that you take him to potty when he first wakes up whether from a nap or first thing in the morning, after he eats or drinks water, and right before bed. You also need to take him out during random parts of the day especially if you see him sniffing around. If you are going to permanently pee pad train him then take him to his pad at all the above times. Make sure you have a pee pad that has a strong urine scent ;-) Never scold them or hit them for having an accident they just do not understand this. I believe in and have always had great success with positive reinforcement. Praise, praise, praise! If he potties on his pad or outdoors then get really excited and praise him you can also give him a treat. He will quickly learn what you are wanting him to do. Scolding and hitting can confuse him even more and can result in more frustration for you and your dog as well as him never learning to go where he should go. I am sure you are not going to hit/pop your Chi but I always like to add this as you would be surprised at the amount of people that still feel this is a way to discipline :-(

Again, I will mention that baby gating a tiny chihuahua puppy in a bathroom, etc... can be overwhelming to a baby as they need security and feel more comfortable in smaller spaces. mishka- I would strongly suggest a small crate with a door open for your Chi to be able to seek refuge in while in the bathroom (if you do not already have one for this purpose) Like a Wolf seeks out a den to live in, a dog is also more comfortable in a den/crate. They need their own place where they can go and get away from it all so to speak :) JMO
Thank you ! That is actually the extra large but I am think about getting the large or medium size. My pups mom & dad average size is about 7 pounds so i think that will be good for him.

Which brand did you choose for your pup and I am considering permanently pad training him.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I do have a crate for bedtime use, but my bathroom is pretty tiny so not sure it would fit in there :rolleyes:

I could get a cardboard box with comfy bedding though!! :)

I am sure a small card box would work but then you would have to worry about them chewing up the box and ingesting it. They make some pretty small crates and a puppy wouldnt need much more than just a place to be able to stand up and turn around in with a little bed. ;-)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Thank you ! That is actually the extra large but I am think about getting the large or medium size. My pups mom & dad average size is about 7 pounds so i think that will be good for him.

Which brand did you choose for your pup and I am considering permanently pad training him.
Mine is one that doesnt unzip and it really bothers me, LOL! The one you are showing seems to zip but something also to consider is if it leaks where it zips? I have seen reviews say that some zippers are cheap on some. You can find them on ebay and amazon cheaper than the site you posted. It takes some research and watching reviews. Also, I have yet to figure out how to fold mine back properly to put in its case, LOL!

I really like the one Kristi posted as well. I like the one I have as it is more for when I travel somewhere like a hotel and it has the bottom so I cannot mess up a hotel floor, etc... It would be according to what you are going to use it for? If you are going to only use it at home then get the sturdy one Kristi posted ;-) Also it seemed way bigger when I got it home.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
With a screened in porch I would have several concerns. Not sure where you live but someone could easily cut a screened in porch and steal him. Also predators could tear into a screened porch and reach him. Lastly I would have weather concerns, too hot or too cold for him out there. JMO :)

The link did not work for me?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With a screened in porch I would have several concerns. Not sure where you live but someone could easily cut a screened in porch and steal him. Also predators could tear into a screened porch and reach him. Lastly I would have weather concerns, too hot or too cold for him out there. JMO :)

The link did not work for me?
I understand. the porch isn't near the stairs and I am on the 3rd floor and it doesnt have any access to it unless you come into my apartment.

I understand the weather concerns also! I am thinking I might just stick to the exercise pen with all the items he will need inside of it. I just though the screen balcony might give him more room to play.

Here's the link:

Walmart.com: Iris iri10374-Panel Indoor/Outdoor Pet Pen in White: Dogs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts