Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wave:
Hello, my name is Katt, short for Kattia (kah tee-ya). I've posted a few times before, but thought I'd introduce myself. I live in Saskatchewan, Canada, in a tiny town of 900. I moved here from Vancouver, BC.

I don't own a chihuahua as of it. A few months ago, when friends of ours had Great Dane puppies born, we though, we would introduce a dog again in our lives. We had previous experience with dogs from the SPCA that went diasterously wrong for us. As a multispecies home, we found that dogs with previous issues just do not get along and unfortunately, one of these dogs killed one of my other pets. We vowed that the next dog would be a pup to raise it with proper socialization with other species.

So any how back to the Great Danes, Vanan (my b/f) and I discussed a Dane, we both like them and though, yeah why not? However I made sure I did some research into Danes and dogs in general and looked at other breeders and breeders.

One day at work (I work as a cashier at an IGA) I saw a lady with two chihuahua's outside. So I had to go out and visit them. Through this lady I found that there was a chihuahua breeder near here. So naturally I called. We talked and talked and talked. She invited us out to meet her and see the dogs.

Vanan wasn't too interested in a "chiwahwah". Other breeds we looked into Golden Retriever, Rotties, Dobermans (my favourite), Danes, G-sheps (Vanan's ultimate dog). So a toy wasn't really into our considerations. However, we figured why not go see them before making our decision.

We went out to meet the breeder and her dogs (at this point the puppies weren't even born) and we totally fell in love! Both Lois and her dogs were extremely nice. The dogs were not barkers, very friendly, great condition, lovely faces and nice heads. We were really impressed with her dogs and that turned my boyfriend around.

There was no question we wanted a pup from Lois specifically. Her dogs had the look we liked in chihuahua's. (Certain head shapes and eye placement turns Vanan off.) She lives very close to us; a ten minute drive. I had no interest in shipping a puppy more than two hours away from us.

Anyhow, the waiting begun. We weren't particular about what colour or coat type we wanted although, a short hair tan and black would have been my ultimate choice, but a short hair fawn is my second. So we waited for the pups to be born. Fortunately, she had two litters to choose from, however, one female gave birth to one male, and the other female gave birth to four. Two males two females. One of the females was a chocolate black and tan. That one was a keeper for Lois as she never produced one of that colour before. (I keep wishing she had been black and tan.) The other female was spoken for, so I had three males to choose from.

We went to see the pups when they were just days old. We had never seen such small pups before and were totally blown over by their smallness. We decided then, that we would decide which pup we wanted when they were older and able to walk. So a few more weeks past and now the pups are 5 - 6 weeks!

Lois brought out the pups and one caught my eye right away. Just a fawn pup with a bit of black on the back. I didn't want to let that cloud my judgement so I spent time holding all the pups. However, I found by just the smallest bit of difference, the pup I liked, spent more time with me. When I held him, he did not try to get away and instead chewed on my watch strap and later on, licked me in the face. The gorgeous little fawn pup just wanted to get away from me, whilst the pup who was born alone was very affectionate, but quite rumbunctious. That pup has champs in his line so Lois and I thought it would be best if he went to someone who had interest in showing. I plan to neuter and you can't show altered animals.

The pup I choose was also the pup that Lois would choose, so I guess I made the right decision!

I've been thinking of name for this guy and I like Xavier (pronounced the spanish way "have yare"). For his registration papers I would like Xavier El Rey (Zavier the King). The pups are all PB chihuahua registered through the Canadian Kennel Club (CKC), which is a recogized registery just like the AKC, but only in Canada. I guess that's not really important as we would have welcomed a mutt into our home as long as it was young and healthy, but this dog has got to be one of the most important things that has happened to me and having all the bells and whistles is kind of nice.

Anyhow, here's a few pics of the pup. He's only five weeks old, so I have a few more weeks left of waiting. Even though this will be my dog, Vanan is really pumped on getting this pup! Kind of funny for a guy who wanted a dog he could rough house with! Now he's saying, he's gotta watch his every step so he doesn't hurt the poor thing!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Oh my gosh Xavier is beautiful! I love fawn Chihuahuas! What did the other puppies of the litter look like?

You can tell Vanan that he will still be able to 'rough house' with your little pup, it will just be in a much different way. :)

It was neat to hear how you made the decision to get a Chi. My husband also wanted a big dog - he always had a Doberman growing up - but just like Vanan he fell in love with Chi's.

I can't wait till you get your pup. Please keep us posted! And welcome to the forum, Katt!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Puppy Pics!

I'm pretty excited. There's been a few rough bumps. I have bad allergies (and allergic asthma to boot) and in order to get this dog, I had to rehome some of my more dustier pets. We decided to get the chi in around the time I was in the hospital for a lung infection. Vanan was quite concerned about my health and we spoke to Lois and she said, if my allergies were a problem with the dog, she would refund no problem. However, the times we have spent with her dogs, I find my allergies aren't bad. Vanan has worse dog allergies than me!

Cost was also a bit of a snag too. The dog is going to be mine so that cost was going to be all mine. I had thought the price was lower than what she is asking and I thought, oh no, I can't afford this pup, but Vanan said, he'd chip in the rest as a Christmas present!

I've bought most of the supplies, kennel/crate, stuff plushie for comfort, Eagle Pack, doggy blanket, three coats, a pair of PJ's, a hood, dog dishes. Today we are going to hit a pet store and snap up some chews and toys, and in a few week's time get Nature's Miracle and pee pads.

As for his name, Vanan and I think Zacchaeus is an awesome as well. I love Biblical names.

Anyhow, here's a pic of the choc and tan.

And the gorgeous light fawn. This is the one Vanan liked, and he seemed to like Vanan too!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some more pics!

Lois is very open and let us take all sorts of pics of her dogs!

The bigger pup from the mother with all only one pup.

The light fawn again. He's so pretty with a white blaze. He's so darling!

The momma's! The mom of my pup is the one in the middle. Lois is holding them.

And Mom wearing PJ's I bought off Ebay.ca from www.dogedesigns.com (I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM.)

That black hand is Vanan's. The light hand is mine.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
beautiful - I love both the one you like and the light fawn I dont think I cvould choose between them i would have to have both :lol: welcome by the way :wave:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts