Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends! I am new to this thread but ever so thankful I found it.
I have a new 3 month old female/spayed chi in my home - her name is Ruby. She was a rescue from a organization based out of California (so my little girl had to take a flight across country to get to me here in Maine.) I have several questions and would greatly appreciate your feedback and response to each, based on your experience and knowledge. This is my first baby chi ever and I am really wanting to raise and train her right. Also, sorry for the long post, but I want to make sure I am explaining thoroughly each case scenario.

1.) I work 8 hours a day, at night I crate Ruby in my bedroom/next to my bed. She is totally fine and already sleeps straight through the night. In the morning, she wakes, I ttake her out, feed her breakfast & allow her to run around the kitchen and I play with her for a good 30-45 minutes, then she goes into a pen while I get ready for work.
During the day she remains in her pen with her food/water, lots of toys, and another small crate for sleeping. She stays in the pen most of the day, but my retired mom is there to watch her and take her out every 2-2.5 hours regularly... as we are trying to housebreak her. When I get home, I take her for a walk and play with her, feed her dinner in her pen, let her out again for play for 1/2 hour before she is taken out for one last potty trip, then put to bed in her crate. I ask, is leaving her in the pen most of the day going to create a behavior issue or make her have separation anxiety, or is this what most people are doing while acclimating the new puppy & house training??

2.) In the evening, I take off her harness for over night sleeping. In the morning, I put it back on ,just before I leave the house, one more potty trip before off to work. Lately when I or my mom tries to take off/put on or attached her leash to her harness, she gets very snappy, bites and has even once growled and shown her teeth at me. Yesterday, she bit my mom and tore a hole into her shirt. I have been since holding up the leash & harness in front of her, before I put it on, I entice her to behave and allow for the leash & harness to be put on her with treats, this seems to work and deter her attention. Usually when she has acted nasty, I put her in the bathroom for 30 second time out. Can anyone provide feedback as to whether this is showing a future problem with her behavior, will she grow out of this, is this a puppy thing? What else can I do to train her out of this or curtail this from happening.

3.) I have an older chi in the home, he's 13 years old to her 3 month age. I have been keeping Ruby & Harley separate for the most part, as she is still primarily in her pen right now for housebreaking. Those times that I have introduced her to Harley, all she wants to do is jump and trample him. It makes for a very stressful situation, not only for Harley, but also for my other 3 cats. Is there any advice that can be offered on how to control her from doing this. At some point she will be allowed full access to the house & other animals and I am concerned she is going to scratch one of my other cats/dog eyes... as she gets so hyper when interacting with the other pets.

It is important to know she is going to puppy classes and I have teached her some of the basics, but I am seeking some additional feedback or ideas.

I'd like to thank you in advance for any responses or feedback/advice that any of you fellow chi owners can offer.

All the best,

Kristen ~

·
Registered
5 Posts
Similar issue, please help

Hello!
I am new here also. I am having basically the same problem. My new Chihuahuas name is Lucia is 18 weeks old, and now weighs around 3lb 4oz. I have had her since she was 10 weeks old. She is very out of control, and wants to always have her way. She gets angry if you don't let her do what she wants. She growls, and snarls. I correct her, by saying no, then try to distract her with a toy, or something like that, and praise her.

I have had 3 dogs prior to her, one of which was a beautiful Chihuahua that passed away in July. My Pomeranian was so depressed at the loss of her sister, that after three weeks, of her literally laying around, not wanting to move, I though if I got puppy to play with her that would cheer her up. She was always very playful, but now has become grumpy, since the loss of her sister. She hates Lucia. Lucia can't even get near her, without her becoming unhappy about it (she runs away, hides, asks to be carried...).

I do not keep harness on my little Lucia, because I am home with her most of the day, but I have to keep her and my 9 year old Pomeranian separated at all times, or else Lucia jumps at the pomeranian's face. Even if I tell her to stop, she won't. My Pomeranian kind of growls at her, and snaps a little, although I know she wouldn't actually bite her, but Lucia is not even a little bit afraid, and it doesn't stop her from jumping at my pomeranian's face.
As a result, my Pomeranian is terrified of Lucia. I have to keep my Pomeranian on the couch most of the time (by her choice), and Lucia is allowed to run around the family room. I do have baby gates up, to keep her, only in this room.

I am at my wit's end, and don't know how to get my out of control puppy, to behave. She's so cute, but she is unwilling to accept that someone (human, or dog), is her boss.

Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
my little chi is 13weeks old ,yes she would like to be the boss ,but she has to know that
she is to behave too ,She is very food motivated ,she likes to learn skills like sit ,and look ,look is good to distract her and focus her attention ,
try clicker training and rewards for the off command ,especially good for learning not to nip,or bite have another toy to replace ,

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 9 year old chi and a 7 month old chi. I have never kept them separated, except for times they were unsupervised of corse. I have found that my older chi was a very good tool in teaching my young chi some manners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Hopefully the older chihuahua will finally get up some gumption and correct that puppy. If you continually 'rescue' the older dog, it will never get to that correction.

I had a 3-4 month old chi puppy that plowed into a sleeping sheltie. As quick as you could say "ooh", that sheltie had that puppy and nipped her. The puppy went screaming under our computer table. I waited 15-20 seconds before I went over to the whimpering puppy. She had NOT a mark on her. Longest 20 seconds in my life.! She learned her lesson in one short session---nothing I had done before that made any sense to her. That nip did.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hopefully the older chihuahua will finally get up some gumption and correct that puppy. If you continually 'rescue' the older dog, it will never get to that correction.

I had a 3-4 month old chi puppy that plowed into a sleeping sheltie. As quick as you could say "ooh", that sheltie had that puppy and nipped her. The puppy went screaming under our computer table. I waited 15-20 seconds before I went over to the whimpering puppy. She had NOT a mark on her. Longest 20 seconds in my life.! She learned her lesson in one short session---nothing I had done before that made any sense to her. That nip did.

I find it so interesting to watch a pup and a mature dog interact. A mature dogs know how to take care of himself and a pup has a lot to learn. it isn't always pretty, but that is the way with most lessened learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
My chis sleep in the same bed as me and always play together as brothers

I couldn't imagine what my dogs would do separated

1 - 7 of 7 Posts