Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My name is Carri, and I am here because I am recently the new mommy of my gorgeous long haired Chihuahua Milo. I bought him from a breeder two hours from my home it was love at first sight. He is a beautiful chocolate color, I think I might use him for stud service he's so beautiful. What do you guys think:)

I have never owned a chihuahua so I hope to recieve lots of advice from other chi mommies and daddies, I'm so excited to learn!

·
Registered
158 Posts
He is very cute beautiful color. I don't know if non-apple shaped heads are used to breed from. Maybe you could neuter him later? He is so darn adorable!!!

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I can see why it was love at first sight. He is a baby doll. Welcome to Chi-people, and we hope to see more pics.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
He's a cutie..IMHO I wouldn't breed him though...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
He sure is a beautiful guy! I'm a sucker for long-coat chocolates (as if that wasn't obvious from my signature, hehe.)

But, unless he's registered and you're planning to show him & get his championship; plus invest in a couple genetic health tests to make sure you aren't passing anything on (since many health problems aren't obvious at a regular vet exam, and some take years before showing symptoms); he really shouldn't be bred. :) The only reason to breed a dog is if he's actually IMPROVING the breed. As everyone says too.. neutered boys make the best pets! No marking (leg lifting) and no humping.

But, if he IS registered with a legitimate registry; then you can check out your local Kennel Club for advice on getting into showing, handling, etc. just be prepared to make a hefty investment. Responsible breeding actually costs a LOT of money that you likely won't make back. Rarely do reputable breeders make any profit; since that's not what the point is; they're trying to improve the breed by only breeding those who've been evaluated against other stock to truly be the "best of the best."

Do you have a copy of his pedigree? Are the past couple generations Champions? It might be a good idea if you can take him in to any dog shows close by. You can get some opinions from other handlers and maybe even judges on whether or not he's breeding quality. =) And if not so what, he'll be the cutest pet in your neighborhood regardless!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wow, very eloquently said! Thank you for that. I think you're right. He would be the most cute pet in the whole darn county!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Hey
I have to say I agree. I know you think he would make one heck of a stud muffin I don't think you would want to add the the pet population with all the rescue chi's out there :(

But if you are looking into becoming a responsible breeder you can speak to other breeders. While I agree that all dogs for breeding should be conformation and be health tested I'm on the side of if they are top say agility dogs, or working dogs they don't need their conformation CH as long as they do meet the standard.

Is he registered? Was he sold to you on a non-breeding pet quality contract? If he was then you can't register any of his puppies and the breeder reconized he wasn't to the benefit of the breed.

But like everyone said he is super cute!! I think you have a show stopper there whether he enters the ring or not :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for all the advice! Yes, he both had AKC parents but I just noticed he has the deer head so I'm not sure if he should be used as a stud since the apple is more popular. I am not sure where to look, I am sending his registration in this Friday so I'm hoping they will send me some info on some shows near me. (I live in Washington state.) I am still considering neutering him because he's lately picked up the habit of peeing on the bed, I'm pretty sure it's a dominance issue.

Either way I just thought someone would love his color for a stud and I think so too! I think I will ask the vet when he gets his shots in a few days if a genetic blood test is possible. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts