Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - My name is Shani and I am from Grove City Ohio. We are new owners of a long haired Chi named Hank. He is 9 weeks old and we picked him up on Sunday. I also have a Silky Terrier and until just recently a Great Dane. My dane passed away a couple of months ago from hip problems. He was 11 years old and dearly missed by all of us especially our Silky. She was so used to having a buddy around that we decided to get another small dog. So far Hank and Ruby(the Silky) are getting along great.

I have Hank on Blue Wilderness grain free food...he was on Puppy Chow and I decided not to buy that since I have always had my dogs on grain free food. Hank seems to like it but I was just wondering if there is a preferred food that other Chi ownersseem to love??

Also I am crate training him and at night he is having a difficult time going to sleep once I put him in his crate. He does not like being alone...I make sure to wear him out so he is nice and tired but he still cries for awhile. What are some good tips to help him?

Thanks so much,
Shani

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums, Shani! I think your thread slipped away without anyone noticing. I'm sorry you haven't had any welcomings!

Congratulations on your new little guy. It's great that you are feeding him a good quality, grain free food. I feed Gemma grain free Acana kibble and she has been doing very well on it. It's very affordable for me as well.

Where is Hank's crate at night? It might be easier for him if his crate is in your bedroom so he can see you when he's falling asleep. We had Gemma sleep in her open crate in a pen with a puppy pad next to our bed at night for the first 2.5 weeks to let her get used to using her pad to potty. Now she sleeps in bed with us since she is fully potty pad trained. She uses stairs to get off the bed in the early morning and uses her pad if she needs to.

As far as the crying goes, my advice to you would be to not give in to his crying when you put him to bed. A little tough love will go a long way with training him. He needs to learn that it's okay to be alone. As long as you completely ignore him, he will catch on quickly and realize that crying will not earn him your attention. That goes for all times of the day also, not just at night when he's being put to bed.

We would all love to see some pictures of little Hank! We really, really like seeing pictures, especially of cute puppies! :)

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Welcome! Sorry we missed you, I hope you are still around. Does your crate have a place for him to pee and some food and water for him in the night? Puppies his age can't hold it over night. And they usually need to eat during the night, too. I use a pen with room for pee pads, food, water, and toys. This was my set up:

It's an Iris pen, it can be bought online at Walmart or Amazon. I find that with all their needs met, they are quieter at night.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Welcome Shani! It's nice to have you here.

As far as food:
Kibbles like Acana grain-free varieties, Orijen, and Fromm grain-free come highly recommended. Others feed Blue Buffalo Wilderness or others. This site has reviews of all kinds of dog kibbles, I would go for a 4 or 5 star food. Dry Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Advisor
Pre-made raw foods are even better than kibble. Stella and Chewys is frozen raw. Ziwipeak is air-dried raw. There are other varieties as well.

As far as crate training:
I started by doing exactly what Pam did, but I used a baby's play pen. It had his food, water, pee pads, a toy, and his bed. He cried the first couple weeks but I ignored him. Before long, he was completely comfortable in there. Consistency and tough love will go a long way as long as he has everything he needs in there.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Shani darling, welcome! :)

The ladies gave you good advice. If you have any other questions don't hesitate
to ask. Also, posting pictures of your pups is a must...it is part of initiation here. :coolwink:

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
...Consistency and tough love will go a long way...

I love these words!

Of course Shani, by tough love we don't mean being mean, simply strict, stick
to your guns if you want to see results. Chis will rule the roost if you let them.
Exercise, socialization and discipline will result in a well balanced dog. :)

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Hi there Shani. Like the others, I'm so sorry your post slipped through without a welcome. This is a very friendly and informative site, and we love pics! There is TONS of food info, but if you already have him on BB grain free and he's doing well I think that's fine. I personally love Ziwipeak or Acana dog food. Pam's set up in the photo is great to follow for any time you cannot have your eyes on him until he's trained, and it works for night also. I don't know how much it cost--I used a baby playpen if that's cheaper, but I have heard of some puppies climbing the mesh (I didn't have that problem). I put Lulu in a small crate with her bed and blanket on my bedside table when I first brought her home at 9 weeks, but you do have to get up during the night and take them to a puppy pad or wherever you potty in the middle of the night if you do it that way. Good luck and post pics soon.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Welcome! Everyone has great advise here- and you seem to be on a great track with your new puppy.

I crated at night from the time I got my puppy at 11 weeks- but I woke up every 3 hours and let her out to pee and gave her a little bite to eat. I really didn't want to train to pee pads first and slowly I was able to sleep longer and longer. Either method works fine- most people around here seem to prefer the pen thing but I personally am a big crate person. Like was said before- consistency and tough love is necessary no matter what way you go! Chis will run you right over in no time! So don't give into the whining, unless of course she actually needs something like to go potty.

Edited to add- I did use a pen when I left for longer than she could hold it, just not at night because I wanted to encourage her to "ask" to go out and not use a pee pad while I was home sleeping right next to her. It's all personal preference.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm new too, just joined a bit ago-- so welcome! Pictures please! I know I am with the rest of them on puppy pictures hehe, LOVE them!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts