Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, how long does it typically take for a chi to be "potty-trained?" Our baby boy chi is about 4 months old and was in the process of being trained when we got him three weeks ago. He pees on his paper most of the time but I also find little puddles on the floor nowhere NEAR the paper. He poops outside first thing every morning and just before we get ready to leave him for a while. This is great, but I also find little "piles" in various places in the house throughout the day. We praise him when he does it outside or--very rarely--on his paper. Also, we are trying to kennel-train him. He does fine with this, except in the mornings I find poop in his kennel, then he does it again outside! (He was sleeping curled up all night long next to my oldest son but then began wanting to play and bark and bite my son on the ear while he was trying to go to sleep. It was becoming a problem, hence, the kennel at night thing.) So, how do you teach them NOT to poop in their kennel? I'm sorry, but I've never had a chi until now. We all absolutely ADORE him, but sometimes are unsure of whether our training methods are effective. We're new at this! Any advice?
(Our vet told us that the kennel method was most effective if their behavior ever became a problem at bedtime or during the night.) I just figured it would be helpful to talk to other chi owners with more experience than we have! Thanks! :) :?

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
the only good tip i can give is to take him to training class. that's what i did with my first chi so i could learn what not to do . but with my 2nd little one she is now 3 months and does the same thing half potty trained but when she came home with me and started seeing jamoka going out side she didn't want to go on the paper no more ,so now i just take her out

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
HI :wave:
You must be consistent and not let the lil darling out of your sight........then when you think he has got it he will turn around and say NAH!!!!!!! They take awhile. The trick is to CATCH him in the wrong place and correct him firmly (not yelling) direct him to the right place.
You are going to have to confine him to a room like the kitchen (when ur out) until you are certain her has it down pat. Letting him roam especially a puppy is an accident in waiting cause you never know what they are going to get into :wink:

·
Registered
403 Posts
when my lil girl was in the kennel when we first got her she pooped and pee'd in it..thats when we started leaving her in there and taking her out every hour or so..that way they dont have time to go in there kennel and then they realize that they have to go outside..ALSO when your outside for your pup to go potty....say GO POTTY or something in those terms and then when they do it praise them say good boy or good girl n give them a treat right away...it works wonders :D

·
Registered
403 Posts
ohh and also your NOT suppose to yell at them if you see poop or pee somewhere in the house UNLESS you catch them in the act of doing it..if you catch them yell NO or STOP or make a loud noise and it should stop them in the process then rush him/her outside and then praise her for finishing the deed there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts