Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Mommy's & Daddy's!

I recently bought a 3 month old Chi, the owner said she was a Chiweenie, but she looks like a Chihuahua to me, on Craigslist for $150 (it was love at first site)... she has no shots or flea/tick treatments so I'm wondering about that... any info will be appreciated! I am a first-time Chi owner.

The owners said she was partially potty trained, and she does go to the bathroom outside, but if I don't take her out every hour or so she goes in the house randomly and she is so fast I can't catch her sometimes!

Is this normal behavior and how long until she understands to use the bathroom outside? Also, she doesn't even signal to use the potty? She comes over to me, follows me around, but how do I know she has to potty and not play?

She also bites like crazy, when she's not pottying or playing!

Any tips longtime Chi owners can give me??

·
Registered
150 Posts
Jax looks like a chihuahua/dachshund mix. You can look at the pictures I recently posted to compare (he's a shelter pup so we can't be entirely sure). As for flea and tick medication, I'd be wary. These dogs are very small and dosing can be tricky. On most chi's, you'd see a flea and can comb it out and drop it into an alcohol and water mixture. Small breeds are notoriously hard to potty train. I used puppy pads, first putting them anywhere he'd peed and then gradually reducing the number. I still have two in the house. Coupled with frequent walks and outside time (lots of praise!!), this seems to work. I've never had biting issues, even with small children. Maybe another poster can offer advice there. I'd definitely show my displeasure at the biting, though. A firm "no" and stoppage of play goes a long way

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for writing back Jessica! I uploaded some pictures of Lucy. She has tall legs so I don't know about the Weenie part of it...

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi and welcome to you and little lucy i looked at her pics and she is so cute my buster has long legs to and hes all chih so is lucy

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Congrats on your new puppy. Unfortunately hose training does take a while with little dogs as they have peanut sized bladders!! (Daxies can be even worse and my chiweenie took 10mths to get the hang of it!!). Crossbreeds can look like either parent or a mix so you could have a cross who just happens to resemble the chi half! My girl Hannah looks more like a badly bred daschund then half a chi!!LOL:D

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi there,

Congrats on your new baby.

My Jadzia took about 1 1/2 to 2 years to get the idea to let us know she had to go potty and our Kira is just over a year old and she still doesn't really know how to let us know. We just watch for signs like running around as if looking for something, sniffing around, pacing etc. We also just try to keep an eye on the time between bathroom visits and take the girls when we think it's time.
It's a bit of a chore but now that Jadzia has the idea it's easier and we expect Kira will get it before long.
I think the problem with my girls is they think they are giving us clear signals, it's just that we had to learn what their signals were LOL.

Oh, also I will say that Jadzia doesn't always whine or bark when she has to go, she usually just sits quietly at the back door with a "well, I'm waiting" look :)

Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts