Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, First time posting, though I've been reading the forum for a few weeks to learn about chi nutrition/health/etc. It seems like a nice, knowledgable group!

My bf and I adopted our 7-8 month old chi-mix puppy from a rescue group a couple months back. Not sure what he is mixed with as he was a stray before being adopted but he's just over 8 lb so we're guessing he's not 'pure' chi.

He loves giving kisses! He's such a love bug.
View attachment 5622

And reallllllly loves stuffed animals, although he's ripped apart all the plush doggie toys we've given him so far so he might just be stuck with nylabones/kongs/bullies for a while!
View attachment 5625

We got him a cave bed to put in his playpen while we're at work so that he can have a dark/den-like space in case it helps him feel safer when home alone, and he crawled right in!
View attachment 5627

He was pretty excited when a friend sent us Easter cookies from a doggie bakery. It was so cute how he licked all the icing off first!
View attachment 5628

Still can't really tell what he's mixed with. Maybe some sort of terrier? I hope he's a healthy weight - he's gained about a lb since we adopted him at 6 months old, and I think that may just be normal puppy growth? I can feel his ribs from below and see his waistline when viewing him from above. He's on orijen 6-fish and for treats he gets bullies, kongs filled with organic frozen pb, and wheat-free peanut butter and pumpkin treats. He was on Blue Buffalo small breed puppy chicken & oatmeal when we got him, but was constantly itchy and sneezy so we tried to find something without common allergens and it seems to be relieving his itchy paws.

View attachment 5624

We love him no matter what he is (I can't believe he was going to be euthanized!) but I'm somewhat curious as to his background because I'm cautiously trying to start jogging with him (starting with jogging for short stints within our daily walks) and he seems to enjoy it and not to tire before I do, and I've been trying to determine if maybe he is mixed with an active breed that can handle jogging/running (like some kind of terrier?) so any input would be appreciated! He loves the exercise, anyway, it seems. :)

Anyway, just wanted to say hi! Also, I was wondering if anybody had opinions about doggie daycares. I was thinking about taking him once per week to spend time with other dogs. He seems to love playing with other dogs he meets on walks and in puppy class. I'm just a little anxious about leaving him somewhere I don't know well with people/dogs I don't know too well. Does anyone here take their dogs to that aort of thing?

Sorry for the lonnnnng intro :)

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Hi and Welcome,he's a sweetie what a great life he's going to have with you and you can tell by the kisses he loves you already I have no idea on daycare classes but i'm sure somebody will know here.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Welcome to you guys and your adorable pup.. he is such a cutie and is so fortunate to have found a wonderfully loving home.. Kudos to you for rescuing him!

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Hello and Welcome, he is adorable. I am so glad he has found his forever home now.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
He's a cutie. He may be a pure chi, my Lexxi is and she is 8 pounds. He looks like he settled in quite nice. It's great that you rescued him, all of mine except one are rescues. They really need a second chance.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hello!
Your chi is so sweet! He looks like a happy and naughty pup :)
I don't know much about doggy day care because there isn't any in our area
And the only way you can be certain if he is purebred (some chi's can grow to be more than 6lbs!) or whether he has another breed mixed in is by a simple dna test
Try Dog DNA Test, Dog Breed Test - Wisdom Panel Canine DNA Testing
My friend used their UK website to order a test for her pooch and it gave rough percentages of each breed in her dog :) We were so surprised to find 5% pulli in him! haha

Good luck :)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Hi and welcome to the board! I want to commend you on adopting and saving his life :)
He looks like a full Chi just poorly bred. He is a cutie though.
Wow! You have done your homework on nutrition and what to give as treats, etc... I love seeing people do their homework :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts