Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all!

I adopted BonBon from the local Humane Society after she was abandoned in the night drop box. One look and it was love at first sight! How anyone could discard such an angel is beyond me! (that subject is another source of discussion at a later date)
Anyway, after completing the adoption process and bringing the wee one to be vetted prior to going to her new home, I got the chance to speak with the doc about BonBon's health. It seems she is closer to 10 than the 3 yrs the kennel intake personnel estimated. During the spay, doc determined that she had many litters of pups - probably a brood mom for a backyard breeder. Almost all of her teeth had to be extracted due to poor diet and lack of dental care. Even though this little girl has been through so much, doc said that her heart was strong and all other 'innards' look good. No joint, ear, or eye problems. Her weight of 3 lbs could be increased with a better diet of high-quality food, but she is only slightly thin.

I turn to the knowledge base of this list for suggestions on what to feed a toothless chi? It has been less than 24 hrs that BonBon has been home with us and she is still a bit sore from the dental extraction and the spay. She has eaten a spoonful of canned Nutro mixed with white rice for supper Friday nite, breakfast Saturday morning, and another at noon on Sat. It doesn't seem like enough nutrition but she turns her little head away and seems satisfied. BonBon is drinking water normally and has peed and pooped outside lilke a good girl.

Will post some pics of this tiny girl as soon as I can take some. Thanks in advance for any encouragement and advice :wave:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Just stick to whatever she will eat - they are always picky for the first week or so until they have settled in - you could always add a chopped up amount of boiled chicken breast to make her eat a little more they always seem to lopve this :lol:

lastly your an angel for rescuing this little lady - welcome aboard and Im dying to see pics of bonbon :wave:

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Hello & welcome How wonderful that you rescued this baby. Can't wait to see pics I agree with OzzysMom about the chicken, even if you have to cut it into tiny pieces and mix with the Nutro :wave:

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Welcome to you and Bonbon! :wave: God bless you for adopting that little girl. You are already tops in my book for that act alone. She sounds like an angel :angel11: and she's lucky to have you. I have a feeling you're lucky to have her too. That's how it usually turns out. :lol:

It is beyond me how anyone could think of "disposing" of a dog that way, as if she were a bag of trash. I hope there is true justice for those people when their time on earth is done. But as you said, that's for another discussion (though I never pass up a chance to express my outrage at puppy mills and backyard breeders). :angry5:

You might want to try giving her baby food. Right after my Lily had her most recent dental surgery I gave her chicken and broth, turkey and broth and veal and broth. I can't remember which brand but they contain only those ingredients. Lily loved them and I felt so good about getting something nourishing in her.

Can't wait to see pics of little miss Bonbon (adorable name, BTW)!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you all for responding so quickly with the great tips!

i look forward to reading more on this forum and hopefully to contribute as well.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Welcome to the forum :wave: You are great to rescue this tiny little chi. God bless you.

As Rachael suggested, the baby food is a good idea. You should be able to get some nourishment into her wihout her having to try to chew. I'm sure her mouth and gums are very sore. The finely chopped chicken is also good. Most chis seem to tolerate chicken well.

I'm glad you joined our forum. It is a source of great information, as well as a friendly and fun place to talk about our chis. Please let us know how she is doing, and I look forward to seeing pics of this special little girl.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Welcome and bless you for taking little Bonbon into your home and heart..she will spend the rest of her life in a loving environment. You will get lot's of good advice on here, I learn something new almost everytime I read thru the posts LOL

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
BLESS your soul I hope you and Bonbon have MANY wonderful years together. You can also moisten dry food with chicken broth and mush it up. Poor baby! They are resourceful ones so as soon as her mouth has healed I am sure she will be eating everything in site!!

Cant wait to see pics :wave:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
update on bonbon: she simply *loves* chicken (boiled and finely chopped)! i tried several combinations of chicken mixed with rice or baby food and she gobbles it right down, yay :lol: i saved the liquid from cooking and she likes the chicken broth as well.
each day has found her more active and feeling better. bonbon does a few of the cutest things and i don't know if this is typical of chi behavior or just her little personality. she loves to snuggle her little face on my neck and when we are outside will rub her face/head in the grass like it feels good. she would rather be in my lap than anywhere else. 2nd choice is in her little bed on the sofa where she can watch everything that is going on. at first, i worried about her trying to jump down from the sofa and hurt herself following me around but she will stay in that nest for hours. this is the most affectionate dog i have ever met.

my other small dogs are miniature pinschers and are quite active characters compared to bonbon.

attached are a couple of pictures which i hope turn out ok on this forum since i am challenged when it comes to editing digipics, lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oops, i already see that i got the captions switched. :oops:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts