Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
I have been reading the forums here for hours this morning.
Last week we brought home a 23 week old Chi. He is such a loving puppy and likes to be close to me every minute.
I have a few questions....
Are there any tricks to get him to eat from a bowl? The bowl we are using is small and he can't tip it over but unless we take his food and put it on the floor he does not eat. He had no problem drinking from an identical bowl.
Also he does not seem to be eating that much but could that be just part of his transition? His appetite is better now then it was the first couple of days but I would feel better if he would eat more.
My last question is about doggy clothes. Mater weighs 3.5 pounds and I am having a hard time finding clothes to fit him. All the XSm items seem too big but I have been unable to find XXSm. It has turned cold here and he does not like the cold. It seems like clothes for him that are XSm are too long and too wide. I thought about trying to shrink an outfit but I was not sure if that would work.
The breeder said that Mater would gain 1 pound probably max so I figure clothing size is always going to be an issue. Is there any place anyone can suggest to buy clothes for or small wonders?
Thanks everyone for any help and thanks for all the great info I have already obtained through this forum!
I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

·
Registered
311 Posts
When they are little I switch up bowls so they don't get used to one thing. Rio has a set of bowls for home, a different set for work, and when we travel she could use a paper plate, or those left over containers you buy at the grocery "keepers" I think they are called. I just mix it up a bit.

We're in Pa so it's been cold we've has nasty cold rain and it's spit some snow. I took a sock cut of the toe area straight across, folded the heal snipped it about half an inch and put it on her. Found it on Youtube and it works. We needed this when she was home the first week as the weather outside was frightful ;)

How to Turn a Large Sock into a Tiny Dog Sweater - YouTube

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Congratulations on your new pup! He is very cute.

You are right about him not eating as much at first. Moving to a new home can throw them off. As for amount, it doesn't take a lot when they are so small. I have a pup that is 20 weeks old and she eats about 1/4 cup twice a day.

I am lucky to have a store in town that carries the tiny clothes but I also buy online. I don't know where you are located but is there a Target near you? Up in the front of the store where they have the bargain bins of stuff they have Christmas sweaters and tshirts. Sizes vary from place to place but their xsmall should fit him. They are just a little big on my pup so should be about right for him. They are only $2.50 so not a big deal if he outgrows them.

There are lots of places online to buy xxs clothes. Ebay, baxterboo.com, and etsy.com for starters.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My mom did the sock sweater for Cosmo when we realized he needed one. This was 16 years ago so tiny sweaters weren't that popular. When Bianca came around she used Cosmo's old ones till we knew her size. Shortly after we brought Cos home he didn't want to eat the food the breeder had been giving him. Maybe put some water on it and warm it up so his nose gets interested. I know it's hard not to baby them. If he is drinking from an identical bowl then he will eat when he's hungry. Look in the kitty bowl section, I have two ceramic oval bowls that seem to work nicely.
Good luck. He's a cutie!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Congrats! He is precious!!

My 3 girls all wear an XS. My two oldest (over a year) weigh 3.7 lbs. and my youngest (will be one next month) is just 3.2 lbs. They have worn XS since we got them. Except my oldest who was just 1.5 lbs. when we got her. She prefers naked over clothing anyway so it worked out.
If he makes it to 4.5-5 lbs. he will easily be in smalls which are very easy to find. As long as they do not walk out of it then I consider that it fits. Just like we do not want to be in skin tight clothes, neither do they.
Many etsy sellers will custom make to their measurements. Ebay and tons of other online places sell shirts and sweaters in XXS.

On the food, he is training you. I'd be certain that you are feeding him a very high quality food. If it is kibble, I would definitely add water. He will not starve and he is big enough to likely not suffer issues with hypoglycemia. Once he knows this is what he eats, where he eats and when he eats, he will get with the program.
Just remember that it will be harder to break bad habits later if standing firm now seems hard.

Here is a great, unbiased site to check the food you are currently offering him. I'd strive for a 5 star food if you can:
Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings

I agree with the others. Right now everything is new, maybe scary and unsettling to him but he will come right along!!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the great tips so far!

He was supposed to have been puppy pad trained when we got him but he refuses to use a puppy pad (which I do not mind all that much I would rather train him now not to do his business in the house then to use the puppy pads then have to teach him not to use the puppy pads.)

He has had only a few accidents in the house and I think that is him being stubborn or testing us because it is normally I bring him in from outside and do not give him a treat because he did not do anything and then he goes and does his business on the floor but he always waits to see if he is going to get a treat or not first. I know that house training does not happen immediately though so I am positive he will get it eventually. For his age how long should it be between taking him outside? I know for younger puppies they should go out every 1 to 2 hours be since he is 23 weeks should it be longer?

Thanks for the great link for dog foods! I have really been wondering what to feed him. We have not switched him from what the breeder was feeding him because I figured the least amount of changes was best. The food that they were feeding him is a 4 star food on the list but I would prefer to find a 5 star after he is really used to us to slowly switch him too. We bought a small bag so I figured that would give him a chance to get accustomed to his surroundings before switching. I made sure though that the food had real meat as the primary ingredient before I bought it because if it didn't then I would have switched him immediately.

The sock sweaters is a great idea! Now I can go looking for some cute socks and make him a few outfits that way at least. Unfortunately, we only wear short socks though but this way I can look for cute socks that will make a cute sweater.

Thanks everyone so much! I hope you have a great day!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I get all of my dogs things from etsy. You can find great clothes that are all handmade to fit your chi at a great price and the quality is awesome. I even had baby clothes made for my pups and they are under 2lbs still. :) Check out etsy for sure!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We went and bought Mater some socks today to make a couple sweaters he looks so cute and doesn't seem to mind it either.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I get all of my dogs things from etsy. You can find great clothes that are all handmade to fit your chi at a great price and the quality is awesome. I even had baby clothes made for my pups and they are under 2lbs still. :) Check out etsy for sure!
I second this and don't overlook Ebay! there are lots of sellers in Hong Kong that sell smaller than average XS dog clothes, they have XXS :D as well!

I have one who wears XXS and another who is XS so I feel your pain!
I never find things local in pet shops.. I order from Etsy & Ebay for the most.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on you new puppy!! Tons of love and joy! When I got Angel at 9wks old, he weighed about 2lbs!! Clothes for him was a nightmare. But boy do they grow fast!! Now he is just a small to xmall at 9lbs.
For potty training, I highly recommend the crate training method. It works!! But, he was so tiny, I started him on pee pads because we got him in February and last year was very snowy and cold.

Now, he will use his pad and go outside. If I don't think to take him out, he will just go into the bathroom and use his pad. I don't really like it, but sometimes it is nice not to have get up, put the leash on, and walk him outside. I like having 2 options, that way, if I was ever sick or injured and couldn't take him out, he has an alternative.

Whichever method you choose, congratulations on your new pup!!

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Hello and Welcome, Walmart and Petsmart carry a XXS in sweaters. I used to use a ferrat sweater for Zoey. Now at 4lb she wears a XS. She has never liked to eat her food out of a bowl so I have little paper plates I feed her on. I use the Ugodao potty system for Zoey but she will outside to potty as well. She only pees on the pad when we are not home and will wait until we get home to be taken out to poo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts