Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my 18 yr old daughter her dream chi pup and the little thing has turned up with parvo. We have contacted the pet store, who had already figured it sneaked in with another pup- she is very stressed! I am at the cautiously optimistic, but not out of the woods stage with our pup. She is only 8-9 weeks old and 1 lb. 1oz. I thought I was going to lose her twice already, but she is responding well to SQ fluids, antibiotic and aggressive syringe feeding. It is just so scary and was wondering about other chi owners with this. She is just so tiny- when can I feel like I am out of the woods with her?

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Im sorry your pup is so ill and i do hope it survives, but why on earth did you buy it from a pet store, the only pups that come from pet stores are puppy mill pups who we all know have poor mothers who are bred from over and over again just for the money, please spread the word 'Dont Buy From Pet Stores' :evil:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Not all pet stores get their pups from puppy mills.
I got my Sandy from a pet store and they gave me contact information for the breeder.
Sandy is very healthy and a very sweet chi.
I got Koke from a breeder and she is the one I have health problems with.

My point is not all pet stores are bad. Some do get pups from good breeders.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, this is a smaller town pet store that buys from local breeders. It's not quite the puppy mill situation. It is just unfortunate that one of her breeders brought a pup in the shop and then figured out they had parvo. It all happens so quickly at that point.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I am glad she is responding well to the medication you are giving her. I will keep you and her in my prayers.

I have not had any experience with Parvo so I can't give you any good advice. Good luck and please keep us posted!

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I have no experience with parvo either but wanted to say, you'll be in our thoughts. I hope she gets better soon.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Poor little girl. Parvo is such a aggressive virus...very dangerous in smaller dogs. I really hope she pulls through it.
The biggest problem with parvo and small dogs is the weight loss they suffer from it.

I will tell you a story that might give you some hope...

My boyfriend's sister bought a pom from a petstore also. Turned out the pom has parvo. Her vet told her the best thing would be to put the little pup down but she wouldnt hear of it. She saw that her little pom had fight in her and went through with the expensive treatment. She was glad she did because Clara (the poms name) made it and is still alive and well at 15yrs old! She was only a puppy and not even two pounds when she got the parvo and yet she survived with no ill effects.

I pray your little girl has the same luck as Clara did!
Please update us when you can!

-Jessica

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I know the petstore 'warning' was not supose to be an attack, but I do feel that this member is going through a lot right now and needs our support more then anything right now. Maybe after her little girl pulls through we can tell more about the horrors of puppymills but for right now lets all just keep her and her little chi in our prayers

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the well wishing folks. After approaching almost 48 hrs of giving her glucose/lactated ringers SQ every 4-5 hrs round the clock, she is looking much better. I know she can still relapse, but she even felt like playing a few minutes today... yesterday morning I thought she was dying in my hands! I will let you know what the vet says- she needs a second gamma globuliin IV injection tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Oh my, what a pretty chi! I love the coloring. I also have no experience w/ parvo. I have heard lot's about it though. You both will be in my thoughts.

I think one of the members here "Tucker's mom" I think he had parvo when he was a young puppy :? didn't he?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Hi there! Don't worry, about 80% of dogs with parvo pull through with proper hospitlization and care! I have seen about 20 parvo+ dogs come through our hospital in the last 2 years and only 2 did not make it. Some things you can also do in the meantime:

Make sure you clean up REALLY well after your chi. The parvovirus is shed in the stool, and if you don't disinfect properly (with bleach, dual-quat, or trifectant, etc...), parvovirus can remain indoors for up to one month. Bathing is a good idea to clean off any shed virus (make sure your pup doesn't get cold though!). Recovery will be slower, and any dogs that come over have a risk of infection during this time.

The key to beating parvo is to keep your chi hydrated and it's immune system strong. Eventually your pups antibodies will beat the virus and survive the the sepsis.

You sound like you're doing all the right things and your veterinarian is doing great supplementing WBC's and keeping him on fluids with dex and treating the sepsis with antibiotics (hopefully IV or SQ since orals are less effective for parvo pups).

Good luck, your chi is in my prayers! -Nate

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
She is beautiful!!! She looks okay in that pic (health wise) I am very happy to hear that she is starting to get better. She is so lucky to have such a caring mommy (or daddy). Best of luck!

-Jessica

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I totally understand why you want to try to save her, she is so beautiful. I wish you the best of luck and please tell us how she does. You are a very special person to try so hard for her...good luck! :) :wave:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts