Chihuahua People Forum banner

new chi puppy with parvo

3K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  MissMolly 
#1 ·
I finally got my 18 yr old daughter her dream chi pup and the little thing has turned up with parvo. We have contacted the pet store, who had already figured it sneaked in with another pup- she is very stressed! I am at the cautiously optimistic, but not out of the woods stage with our pup. She is only 8-9 weeks old and 1 lb. 1oz. I thought I was going to lose her twice already, but she is responding well to SQ fluids, antibiotic and aggressive syringe feeding. It is just so scary and was wondering about other chi owners with this. She is just so tiny- when can I feel like I am out of the woods with her?

#27 ·
Hi all & again thanks for all the positive vibes - I am still cautiously optimistic. It is a bit of a roller coaster - she was nauseated today :( , but all in all the trend is in the right direction. Went in for another gamma globulin injection and the vet was "pleasantly surprised" she looked as well as she did, compared to being on her death bed Saturday morning. Hanging in there, sleepless nights and all. By the way, the picture of her was just on the brink of her parvo outbreak. She had had some diarrhea at that point in time, but hadn't really gone totally downhill, which is why she looks pretty good in the photo. Again thanks and hoping to report more positive progress soon. The vet said it can take up to 2 weeks to recover a pup like her. :?

#31 ·
My pup, Tucker survived Parvo and he only weighed 1.2 pounds at the time. He was about 7 weeks old. He remained at the vet hospital for 8 days and nights. It's not the virus that actually kills puppies, but the dehydration that it causes. Tucker is a year old now. I pray that your sweet furbaby makes it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.