Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a smaller chi than my holly and I might have found one. He was on Craigslist this morning for 50 dollars. They said he is Nine weeks old and the last of his litter. What do you think?

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, but, I want a chi that will stay small - 4-5 pounds at the most and the man that has him said hs parents were both six pounds. So I don't know...

·
Registered
186 Posts
It depends on how the body is built... Bella just got weighed at 6lb and she still is small framed...The vet said he though she was 4lbs for sure..

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I think it can be very hard to tell with puppies, if the small size is really important, you might want to think about looking for an older chi (like a young adult) then you will know what you're getting.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Welllll, no, not all chis are small. My Lovee is now 13 lbs. However, she was the smallest of her litter and her siblings weigh 3.5 - 4lbs. She's a good two inches taller and longer than Babs. So, you never know. If he's looking like he's got the personality, go for it. If he doesn't stay small you'll have to look for another one, darn. lol

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I have to agree with some of the others...it's really hard to tell how large they will be. Some go through huge growth spurts while others stay small. Boo was the same size as a pup as Pearl, but he's a whopping (for chis) seven pounds while she's tops out at four.

If you have your heart set on a small dog, I'd either go with a good breeder who is known for producing consistently small dogs (which will set you back $$$) or adopt an older dog. The more I researched breeders, the more I saw where they will often give away or sell retired breeding stock for much less money than pups.

I don't know how far away you are, but there is a beautiful little girl on Cupid Chihuahua's website that's 3.7 pounds. She's spayed and is being offered for a pretty affordable price. Go to their available dogs and scroll down. Her name is Rose.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
I would be hesitant of anyone selling a chi for $50.00. I doubt it has seen a vet
I would request medical info for the mom and the litter. If non
is available I wouldn't even consider purchasing the pup.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I got my little chocolate girl chi and my chinese crested from craigslist. You are NOT SUPPOSE TO SELL pets on craigslist. The cost is a rehoming fee. People may need to rehome for a number of reasons and these animals should not be turned down just because they are on craigslist. Lots of times if people can't find homes for their pets they have to take them to the pound, if the pound can't adopt them out they are put down. I highly recomend finding a pet on craigslist, you could be saving that animal from going to the animal shelter and a terrible fate. Sometimes people try to sell on craigslist and they usually get their ads flagged. I have had my little chocolate girl for a year this month and so love her, the lady I got her from had an accidental mating with her 2 chi. and could not afford to care for that many dogs she had planned to have her dogs fixed but had not had extra money for it and thought she had kept them seperated but accidents do happen, one of her children left a door open and opps it happened. Sorry to be on a soap box but you can get very nice pets from craigslist, just DON'T SEND money to anyone, go see the animal and where it's coming from. I love the 2 dogs I got from there and being I'm wanting them for family pets (family members) they are beautiful, wonderful dogs.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Decided to add the history of my chinese crested, the girl I got her from was a young mother of two, she had always wanted a cc and had finally found one, which she paid quite alot for but her timing was really bad, she had a 2 year old and a new baby, she couldn't give the cc the time and attention it needed and deserved also the toddler was too rough on the pup, she didn't try to get her money back out of the dog, she truely was trying to find a good home for it and did ask for references from my vet and asked for a small rehoming fee (far from what she had paided) She had made a bad choice and didn't want the dog to pay the price for her bad judgement. I feel good about finding my fur babies on craigslist, I still have contact with Chloes old family and share pics of her. I'm not saying you can find "show quality" on craigslist but you can find very nice pets that need a new home. O-K, I'm finished. I just feel very strongly about this.

·
Registered
510 Posts
You certainly can't go by the size of the pup, Elmo was tiny as a pup and has grown bigger than I had expected but I don't mind, we love him as he is. Someone on here said.........
"TBH I think Elmo is one of the least chi like babies on the forum. His extra fluffy coat and drop ears are quite unusual. Then you catch his head at a certain angle and... 'oh, of course he's a chi!!'"

Believe me I'm still angry at that comment, I'd never say anything so personal about anyone's chi's!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
He is a very cute baby! $50 is a steal for a Chi pup. I'm not sure what that could mean though. Possibly an amateur that had an ooops litter and just wants them to go to a good home? Or could be that there are some problems? Hard to say. As for size, there is no way to tell at 9 weeks old how big he'll get. And weights don't really tell you much as far as size goes.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Just try to find out if he's been to a vet and is healthy - $50 is very cheap (sounds too cheap to be true!!) - but you could spend thousands on it, if it has health problems.

The cost price of a dog is nothing compared to what is spent on them over a lifetime!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts