Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is charity and my lil pup isnt eating or drinking he is 6 weeks old and he had his parvo shot right before we got him....i am so worried i dont want anything to happen to the little guy. Any ideas?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Get to the vet. Your puppy is wayyyyyyyyyyyy too young to be away from his mom. They should be with their mother/littermates for at least 10 weeks. 12 weeks is better. And having a parvo shot at this early age may have made him extremely weak and immunosuppressed. Your puppy will need specialized care and possible ICU for supportive care/fluids, etc. Don't wait. Get to the vet ASAP.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I personally wouldn't wait around with a 6 week old that is not eating or drinking. I agree with the karo syrup, and I would do that - but then get to an ER vet. Babies go downhill quickly.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
They probably took him straight off mom before you got him since he's so young. Poor guy probably doesn't have the hang of eating and drinking all on his own yet. Vaccines are tough on them, and with him not eating or drinking he'll dehydrate within hours. Not to mention hypoglycemia. So you have several things going against him. Karo alone will most likely not get him through the night. If he were mine I'd find a vet to see him, stat! Best wishes!

·
Registered
370 Posts
how long have u had him?if u really cant get him 2 a vet rite away.give him karo n get some 'pmr'(puppy milk replacement).if he doesnt drink out of a bowl n u dont have a bottle put some pmr on your fingers n rub it on his nose/mouth.once he realizes he likes it put more on your finger n let him lick it while u bring your finger(w/him following)closer to a bowl of pmr.with a little encouraging he should start to drink.u mite have 2 try it a few times but he should get the hang of it.i had a 5wk old rescue recently n he drank pmr from a bowl n was eating dry kibble the 1st day home but i kept him w/me at all times-even 2 go 2 my dr lol.:D:D:D

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
This poster hasn't been back since she/he posted on the 16th. So who knows.

I hate it when I don't get updates. Makes me worry. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.