Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm Lori and my husband and I just adopted Lexi from our local animal shelter, just over 3 weeks ago. She was a stray, so no background on her. They said she is 9 years and she was spayed 3 weeks before we got her.
She's people and dog friendly and doesn't act like she was ever mistreated. Only problem we're having is house breaking. She doesn't go to the door or let me know when she needs to go. I have found that in the evening when I'm holding her, sometimes she'll start panting really hard. I'll take her outside and she goes potty and doesn't pant any more. The only other thing is after she goes potty she sometimes leaks a little and licks herself after she goes potty.
Oh, and Lexi doesn't bark - at all. I've heard her do a little yip noise, but that was in the middle of the night as if she was havng a bad dream!

· Registered
36 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Sound like you have yourself a pretty good dog. If she doesn't let you know she needs to go potty just take her out at regular times when you know she is most likely to go.

· Administrator
58 Posts
We are once again having that problem. Our little one was going out and never had an accident in the house after she learned to go out until a huge dog tried to grab her. Now she will still go out but we have to carry her to the backyard. Even then she will still potty in the house. We put pads down and she will use the pad, but she always uses it right on the edge and it runs out on the floor.

We bought some Sprinkle and Sweep to soak up the pee and it does a great job but the pee has ruined our floor. Hopefully, in time she will overcome the fear of the huge do and go out as she should again.

Usually, a little one will need to go out 30 or so minutes after drinking water. Our little one usually stays right at our side but she will sneak off and pee right at the front door so we need to watch her closer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts