Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meet Pixie!
She came home with us yesterday and is our first dog/chihuahua. (My wife had one growing up--I had a golden retriever)

DSC_0721 by misterbremer, on Flickr

DSC_0750 by misterbremer, on Flickr

I have some questions. One... can anyone point me to some good resources for new owners? I've started browsing this forum a bit already, but thought somebody might be able to narrow down my search.

She is seven weeks old. I'm a teacher and the kids are off, so we have lots of time to spend with her. She already calms down when anyone in the family holds her.

Advice or suggestions welcome!
Thanks!

·
Banned
51 Posts
Congrats on your new addition first thing I will say is she is too young to be away from her mum and litter mates chis should stay eith their litter until 12 weeks (some let go at 8 weeksthey are still too young but 7 weeks is way to young!!)

Not your fault you weren't to know just the breeders problem! Is she eating solids?? I'd not I would soften her food up (what are you feeding her??) take her to the toilet every half an hour or when she starts shoeing signs.

Keep an eye out for hypoglycaemia, glazed eyes, listless, shaking etc there's plenty of info available if she is showing signs then give her some nutrical or honey if you have it but make sure you follow that with some food otherwise her sugars will peak and then shr will crash again. They go down hill quickly and will die!!

Obviously she can't go where other dogs are etc due to not having her vaccinations I would get her vet checked and vaccinated.

I would also worm her, as the 'breeder' let her go so early I very much doubt she would be on a good worming regime as a baby so maybe full of worms speak to your vet and get a good wormer.. Milbemax or panacure are good for pups. She will need worming again at 12 weeks (however they may want to do it again sooner if she hasn't been previously wormed)

She may become nippy as she hasn't learnt bite inhibition from her litter mates (huge problem in pups being sold earlier than 12 weeks :) ) you need yo teach her fingers are not for biting.

I'd also give her a bunch of chews and toys and play with her keep her stimulated

Good luck !!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Aww so cute. I got my Amberleah at 6 weeks. The owner had litter of three one looked just like your Pixie only boy. She was to young to leave momma the lady wanted them gone. I knew how to care for her and if I didn't take her someone else would have she was still getting calls when I was there. so I feed her puppy formula for a month in with her food moistened. She is doing great. biggest thing is socializing her and teaching her the things the litter mates would have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have been softening the food for her, and so far she is eating and going to the bathroom when we take her outside. A friend that lives around the corner has her brother, so she has played with him each day too.

We are also checking in on some local vets today... cost/how comfortable we feel, etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I started with chihuahua for dummies and I'm slowly building a library of chihuahua books. There are tons of books available for new chihuahua owners, most of them have the same information.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would also prowl the Chihuahua Health section (under Forums) of this website. I am a first-time Chi owner, too, and I found the information very helpful...the first thing I learned is that he's not a tiny little Doberman LOL! In a lot of ways, particularly health ways, that's a good thing! Good luck with your little Pixie!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Welcome! The Chi Dummies book is great, you will learn a lot there. This forum has a great Sticky thread....oh dear, forgot where it was, be right back--lol!;)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Okay, sorry, the Sticky thread is under Chi Chat section and is titled "Happy dog training". You wlll also find a great first aid sticky there, which is a must.
Good luck and keep coming back!:hello1:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
She is precious!

You've stumbled across a very interesting and unique breed...I was a "Golden retriever kinda girl" for years. We bred and raised many litters, and when I lost my female to Addison's disease, I wanted something as opposite of a Golden as I could find. Chihuahua fit the bill, perfectly!

She'll bring you lots of joy, I'm sure!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all!
Vaccinations round 1 scheduled for tomorrow.

How does playing with another puppy help nipping? Is there any wrestling moves I shouldn't let them do--they like to tumble around!

So far if she has tried to get a finger we pull away quickly with a stern No Pixie... anything else?

·
Registered
12 Posts
How does playing with another puppy help nipping? Is there any wrestling moves I shouldn't let them do--they like to tumble around!
The litter mates teach each other things, like not to nip. For example, if they are playing too rough and one gets bitten too hard, the puppy will yip out in pain and it will teach the puppy that bit him that it's not okay to nip. So you should be letting them play as rough as they want and they will learn on their own. :)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Welcome! The Chi Dummies book is great, you will learn a lot there. This forum has a great Sticky thread....oh dear, forgot where it was, be right back--lol!;)
Love this book it's what make me decide to get a chi instead of a yorkie : )

My 2 cents would be socialization is 100% key with Chi's as well that preventative medicine works best as well. Start early start early start early and train train train :) You will be much happier in the future for it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts