Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all im getting my first long haired baby on sunday 910/06/20120 so excited bought ever book to get me ready cant wait to get him home he will be 7weeks and 5days old when he joins us so any helpful information you think i might need to know would be a great help thanks
kim xx
also will be uploading pictures when i get him xx

·
Registered
437 Posts
Welcome!! Enjoy the forum. Can;t wait to see picture of your new puppy!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Is there a reason he is leaving his breeder so young? Usually 8 weeks is the minimum, but 10-12 is often recommended.

Sounds like you have prepared yourself, though. Congratulations! What will you be feeding him? Make sure you're feeding a high quality food and you might want to have a tube of Nutrical on hand in case he isn't eating regularly, which is very likely for the first week or so. He is so young and he is going to be a little uneasy in his new surroundings at first.

If you have any questions about anything, be sure to ask. There are plenty of members here with experience and knowledge who will be able to help! Good luck with your new baby. Can't wait to see pics!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Welcome to CP! Im sure the forum threads will be a great help for you and ay questions you have. Good luck! I am getting my new baby chi on sunday too! Post up pics when you get him

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hes been eating since he was 6weeks and will only be 2days off 8weeks so she feels happy letting him go,im feeding him royal canine puppy and natures first meat the vet recommended it.thank you everyone i will be staying here and will put pictures up on Sunday.what is Nutrical? ive not heard of that and where can i buy it from xxxx

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Royal Canin isn't a very good food. Don't be fooled by your vet's recommendations. Most vet's aren't properly educated on the subject of nutrition. I'm not sure what the second one is. Have never heard of it and get no search results when I try to look it up. If you would like to look up what the best quality foods are to feed, I suggest these two sites to look at ratings and descriptions of ingredients for a better understanding of what is good for your dog and what is not. These sites are really great:

Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings
Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

As for Nutrical, it's usually available at any pet store. Vets should probably supply it as well. It's a high calorie gel that will help prevent your baby from becoming hypoglycemic if he is not eating enough. I highly recommend having some. Gemma is 15 weeks tomorrow and I still give her Nutrical in place of any meals that she skips.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
nooo royal canin please! There are many brands that are soooo much better. We'd be happy to share or you can always search the forums as food is discussed often. Welcome to the site. Everyone here is very nice and informative..welcome welcome!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Hi & welcome Kim - as you're in UK & not USA, brand names will be different i.e. "Nutrical" is called "Nutrivet" or something similar here in Australia - it's a vitamin & mineral paste, looks to be molasses based, that most pups love to lick off your fingers, 2 of mine didn't enjoy it at all. Pays to keep this on hand in case your puppy goes on a hunger strike and has a "sugar drop" which can be extremely dangerous, with dire consequences.

Agree with the others re Royal Canin. Whatever you do, if you settle on an American brand of food, please, please make sure it has not been irradiated upon entry to UK - irradiation creates & releases free radicals; we had many cat deaths here because Customs Dept. irradiated Orijen off the graph so it was recalled - t'was a damn good food too :(

Many of us feed ZiwiPeak and raw food and I'm thrilled with the results - with Chi's, you need to make every mouthful healthy and count towards their development!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I live in Sweden and I was able to find Nutrical from a Swedish store online. It did cost me five times as much as it would have in the US, but hey, that's Sweden for you. :rolleyes: I think a lot of UK-based members here recommended Nutrical to me before I got Gemma, so I imagine it must be available there as well. I'm sure if anything, you could find it online.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you so much i will be looking for other food and i have now bought some nutrical thank you so much xx and hello to everyone really excited about getting himxx

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I'm glad to hear that you found the Nutrical. It's been a life saver for me with Gemma, mainly just because it took off so much of the worry I had when she wouldn't eat 3 meals regularly every day. I hope you are able to find some good quality food. I feed Acana grain free kibble and I replace a few meals a week with half of a raw chicken wing. Acana is not very expensive and you really get your money's worth from it. It is great kibble if you want to feed kibble.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you i will see if i can buy over here.also il be feeding him natures diet puppy wet meat its really good.also you can heat it up in the winter as a hot meal it does wonders for our dalmatian as they have sensitive stomachs

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I've never heard of that before but I looked it up and it seems decent. Looks to be about 60% meat which is good. Contains rice, but only 10% of it is rice. I don't feed grains at all because dogs don't actually need grains, but some people feed foods containing rice without problems.

Sounds like you are just about prepared for your new puppy. Can't wait to see pics!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thank you gemma xx the breeder phones me last night and she is happy for him to come home today so im just waiting in for her to deliver him so excited xx still not got a name its a choice between gizmo and harley xx i love harley more x

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I love both of those names! I've always adored Gizmo for a Chihuahua because they really do look like little Mogwai when they stick their ears out sideways. Harley is cute too, though. It sounds kind of tough so it's funny for a tiny little Chi. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my husband said the same about harley think i will stick with that x there are a few gizmos local to me lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the breeder phoned me last night saying he is on food and water and is doing so well tht she feels happy letting him go today so she is bringing him over lunchtime really excited x i spoke to my vet and taking him in this afternoon to make sure hes all healthy and ok to be away from mother he said if hes eating and not taking any milk then its ok

1 - 20 of 37 Posts