Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. My first post to the site. I have a 10 1/2 week old long haired chihuahua.

She's been scratching and biting every since we got her last week. We thought it was fleas so we gave her some flea shampoo from walmart but noticed that that didn't work. Tonight we noticed that she's losing fur on one side near her hind leg where she is always biting. Since there is not much fur we can see that her skin is dry and flaky.

So I was wondering what kind of shampoo do I need to get for her or do I just need to take her to the vet. And will her hair grow back there.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Well, first let me say welcome to the board...i'm sure you'll have lots of fun here and learn a whole lot about chi's! :)

As for the scratching and biting...if the flea bath didn't work, I'd suggest maybe going to the vet, it could be dry skin. I don't really know to much about dry skin, as I've never experienced it with any of my dogs...but i'm sure someone else can give you a more in depth answer. :wave:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Richie also has dry skin and our vet said absolutely no flea shampoo for him. There is shampoo for sensitive skin (we use Virbac). But he never had hair loss, so I would consult the vet about that, maybe he needs additional treatment!

Welcome to the board by the way!

Richie's mom

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
best is to go to the vet asap , before it gets worse ......it can be allergie, fleas and several other things that really need treatment :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
450 Posts
Corky was scratching everywhere and he didn't have fleas. Upon the advice of the board here and my mother-in-law who has a Boston Terrier who was doing the same thing, I got a supplement that goes in his food that has Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids and Vitamins A & E.

They had different things at the pet store but what I got is called Lipiderm and it has Omega 3 & 6 Fatty Acids and Vitamins A and E. For puppies 1-15 lbs you use 1/2 tsp daily on their food. I give 1/4 tsp to Corky with his wet food breakfast and 1/4 tsp with his wet food dinner.

It has really helped him. He rarely scratches anymore. It is so cute because is tummy is so soft like a baby's butt! He is short haired but his fur even feels less coarse.

Of course consult with your vet but it really helped Corky!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. :wave: This is a great place to come to have your questions answered or just talk about your chi. But warning - it is addictive. :lol:

If her skin is dry and flaky, I would not use a flea shampoo as it usually tends to dry out the skin even more. There are several good shampoos available for dry/sensitive skin, but if it were me I would consult the vet first. There could be underlying health issues that need to be addressed. Once the dry skin has been treated and she stops scratching and biting, the hair should grow back in the bare spots.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well we bought some oatmeal shampoo from petco and it seems to do the trick. She's not longer scractching and biting her sides, for right now...we'll see how the rest of the week goes.

Also I forgot to introduce her, her name is Sugar Bella. Bella for short. And attached is a pic!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
even though the oatmeal shampoo is working id still probably take her to the vet and have her checked for mites...mites are tiny and live just under the skin causing ittiration dry skin and hairloss. the vet will take a quick painless scraping and check for mites...if theres no mites she just has very sensitive skin and needs to be shampooed using non scented oatmeal (or aloe) shampoo which will take out any itch an dhelp with the dryness...a little olive oil or fish oil in the food will help moisturives the skin from the inside (youll also find her coat even silkier shineier and softer from the good oils.)

youll also want to make sure you use a MILD detergent and NO fabric softener when doing her laundry as the perfumes can cause major irritation, as it could also be an allergic reaction to something keep check of anything that changed when the episode happend.

however if she tests positive for mites your vet will be able to provide a medicated bath whihc will kill them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts