Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.... we just got a chihuahua today and he is a year old.
We adopted him from a lady who breeds them.
She ended up keeping him and his sister for awhile longer since they didn't sell right away.
She finally sold the girl last week and now I got the little man. She has 4 other chihuahuas and a sheltie mix and also said she had a rottie that she sadly lost 6 months ago.
So she said my new little man was fine around other dogs and kids.

Well he is fine with me and my kids...very sweet gives us kisses too. But he is very afraid of my dog...I do have a bigger dog a golden doodle.
Whenever my doodle tries to go closer to him to smell him or check him out my Chi growls at him. Then I say no and he stops and looks so scared to me. Even when the little one growls at my big one my doodle shows no aggression towards him.

Tonight the little guy started to walk around very cautiously as I was watching them both together and when my big dog moved a little too fast for him it scared the daylights out of him.... he started running away and screaming like he was getting killed. My doodle did run after him a bit but also would back off too..... He did not bite at him or anything. The little guy screamed like crazy... I was able to finally calm him and he coward in my arms. I feel terrible....Is he going to get use to my doodle and not growl or be scared of him... I know its only the first day but I feel like he will never like him....

Just an FYI...right now I'm in the computer room and my chi is in his crate and my doodle is laying right near me and him. My chi is quiet but watching him constantly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you to everyone who responded.

Benny our chi is doing better... he is still scared of Barney our goldendoodle but he has let him get closer to him now. Benny will come out and walk around a bit when he is out and both dogs will lay on the couch with me.
Benny has his crate that he goes too for comfort and I don't let them be alone together. When we leave the house, Benny goes in his crate and Barney has the run of the place.
I'm sure it will get even better between them with time.

I have a question... Does your Chi eat alot?

Benny hardly eats or drinks.
He will go and take a piece or 2 out of his bowl and a few sips of water every now and then. But thats it.
I figured its because he is still getting use to the place, but was wondering if it was also a Chi thing and that they are just not big eaters.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.