Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi! i just got my little bundle of joy a few days ago. she is a real angel -- most of the time. first of all, when we brought her home we didn't introduce her to one room at a time.. in fact i feel horrible about this, we just let her run freely, and this is where the problem begins. we live in an apartment, i make sure the main bathroom door is closed, the office door is closed and our bedroom door is closed. the only door open is the laundry room where i've placed her puppy pad and a bed. the first night i brought her home, i tried to get her to sleep in her kennel, but she would just scream to the top of her little lungs.. and i didn't know what to do.. so i would take her out to the living room and let her sleep on me for a bit then i'd sneak her back to her kennel but she'd do it again, and then she did a pee and a poo in her kennel which was not fun to clean at 3AM. after that, i just let her sleep with me in bed that one night but i never slept because i was scared to hurt her. the next 2 nights we would wait til she got sleepy in the evening, then place her on her puppy bed in the laundry room... but then she'd scream for hours non stop, and i'm worried my neighbors in the building can hear her. it was breaking my heart to hear her scream like that, but i know i must leave her there cuz she must understand that it's bedtime during the night.. so i've had to sleep listening to music thru headphones the last few nights... and my husband is starting to get a little impatient with her during the night as he has to go to work early. another thing, the first day i spent with her she would use her puppy pad, and now she wont use it at all!! if she makes an accident on the carpet, i show her that it's not where she is supposed to go and then bring her to her puppy pad.. but she just runs away from it or runs away WITH it in her mouth. she also is very playful but likes to chew on everything and bite, so we bought her a chew toy bone and it helps sometimes but i dont want her to grow up and think biting is okay.. i know she is a puppy and she is just playing, but where do you draw the line? i am really stressed out because i'm not sure i have a good handle on things, i don't know if i'm training properly. is there anyone out there with some advice?? also.. should i feed her at specific times? if i just leave her dish out she'll chow down all the time and then i'm worried she'll go potty everywhere.. i know she needs a bit of structure and routine but she likes to do her own thing and she wont listen. i haven't resulted in yelling at her and i wont hit her, i try and speak with a calm loving voice but she literally will mock me and pee on the carpet right infront of her puppy pad sometimes. i love her to death, but i'm scared i wont be able to bring her up to be the best dog she can be. :(

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
o.k 1st of all hi, nice to meet you. :wave:
My pup is 5 mths old. He cried and screamed it seemed like to get out of his crate, broke our hearts but they eventually get the hang of it. I say it's just like teaching your baby it has to stay in a crib all night. You have to be firm and don't give in to let them come lay w/ you b/c then the crying won't stop. They know if they do it long enough you'll take them out. Your rewarding the crying. Make sense :) ?
Feeding. I feed Mikey at set times during the day that way I can get a routine going w/ the pooping so I can judge when he needs to go. helping prevent accidents.
Discourage biting of the hands. W/ Mikey I always kept dog toys available that way as soon as he would bite I would firmly say no! And then give something he could chew on.
In time you'll get the hang of it. More people will be along I am sure w/ more advice. this is a great group of people w/ lots of info. :D

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Welcome......... :D

I am not trying to be harsh but BEFORE you get a pet you should do as much research as possible THEN bring your pup home and apply what you learn. It is not to late to search the past threads here or the internet, as there is a wealth of info available. It is a big responsibility owning a pet.... period.

I know you are overwhelmed right now but just take it slow, not having enough rest will make your fuse short. But as tattangel said its like having a child, it takes TIME and LOTS of patience. Nothing will come easy (expect that) and if the unexpected happens then it will be all the better for you. Set the pattern you want and work around that. Pups need to go about every two hours, when they wake up and after they eat (15 min or so). I found moving the crate to my room greatly reduced the dogs anxiety while still being safe at night. Whinig sometimes is stopped by a quick squirt of water (best if dog does not see you do it). Sleeping with you may set grounds for trouble later (depending on the dogs personality) as they will not realize you are alapha. Lots to learn.........

Good luck :wave:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I was like this at first when I brought Ozzy home the first6 few weeks can only be described as hell- but trust me there is light at the end of the tunnel - first thing is she is only 8 weeks personally she should still be with her mother till atleast 10 where she would learn skills like biting no nos etc , but you have her so you need t be mom and teach her best thging to do is when she bites you just shout owwww and she will soon get the picture - an 8 weeks has no idea of toilet training one day she will do it on the pad and the next she will forget - only ever praise good behaviour when she goes on the pad give her a love an d tell her good girl etc - if you find a wee in the floor do not take her over and say whats this etc as she will of forgot she did it one min after she did it - if you catch her say no firmly pick her up and out her on pad and praise her for finishing on there.

most of all good luck :wave:

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I think the ladies above me summed it up very well. It is HARD work, and it does take lots of time and patience. But when you notice everything starting to 'click' it makes all the effort worth it. Keep up the work and good luck!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Kemo's mamma said:
I am not trying to be harsh but BEFORE you get a pet you should do as much research as possible THEN bring your pup home and apply what you learn. It is not to late to search the past threads here or the internet, as there is a wealth of info available. It is a big responsibility owning a pet.... period.
Like she says - not to be harsh but..I completely agree with what she said there, i am getting my new pup in a couple weeks and have asked this forum many questions and bought books and al researched on the inet for imformation about Chi's. Its not too late to do that still, i would recommend doing so before you run into a differnt problem :) Good luck! and Congrats on the new puppy :wave:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree with everyone else, you need to show her that you are alpha, as for the crying at night you might want to try putting a little stuffed animal in the crate with her, she should think it is a littermate, I know I did this with Oreo when I brought him home when he was only 7 wks old and he slept through the nights. Good luck with your little angel

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Hi and welcome.
I know what you mean about the puppy "screaming" at night. My 2nd chi pup is 13 wks old now, but when we got her at about 9 weeks, we couldn't believe the wails, and loud cries at bed time, or midnight, or 3am, lol.
(She sleeps in a pen in the kitchen) I actually had to wear ear plugs for 3 nights. The 4th night....silence!
Those first few miserable nights paid off. Just be consistent with your puppy, and reassure your husband that things will get better.
Potty training is another story, lol. It takes a few months or more. There are a few different techniques; check web sites on puppy training. My older chi was fully litter trained by a little over 6 months old, though all chis are different. Patience, patience, patience. You will be greatly rewarded. Good luck, and congratulations. :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
One of the things I put in the crate with a pup is large soda bottle filled with very hot water and wrapped in a towel. Then I wedge the towel so it will not roll. It is something warm for a puppy to cuddle against. :wink:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Interesting thread. My pup is now 6 months old and she just started doing the crying thing too again! I don't know what happened. We totally wear her out and play with her in the evenings and then I put her in the kennel w/big fluffy flannel blankets and tell her "night-night" and then I turn the light off and walk away. She would start to cry, but stop after a couple of minutes. Now she cries for alot longer and then stops. She is in my bedroom and so when we come up to go to bed, she hears us and starts crying again! Maybe I should take her out of my bedroom?? I knew to expect this with a little puppy, but not a 6 month old!! I love her anyway bunches, but goodness!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
chidawl - I cant just add something small to everything said :)
Maybe when you are putting her in her room give her a little treat, I still do it with my Pupa :)
I say "who is a good girl and wants a cookie?" :lol: and she runs into her room, sits in her bed and waits for the treat :)
I know it is very difficult but you have to be very firm with her and not react on her crying...But to tell you the truth the second night Pupa was with us, she was crying so incredibly sad that I coulnd cope, I got up, stayed with her a bit, cuddled her, and she slept hugging my shoe :eek:
so I left my shoe in her room and she slept ok through the night, and then it was fine

·
Registered
44 Posts
oh hunny ive had problems like this too. i got rufus when he was 9 weeks. i was going to leave him in his kennel at night but the crying began as soon as i walked away. my best friend stayed the nite with me the nite i got him and we ended up letting him sleep with us. i was scared of him wetting the bed or waking us up but to our surprise he has never once wet the bed and he sleeps throught the whole night! when we was little he would sleep on the pillow next to my head but now that hes 6 months and bigger he just cuddles with me under my blanket. i cant sleep unless hes with me now. and when hes tired he sits here and whines at me like "mom its sleeping time!" but thats rufus, i know plenty of people would rather let the dogs sleep in the kennel. and like everyone has said just keep the baby in there and in a few nites the crying will stop, thats how it was with our old dog. your baby will be ok!
im sitll having issues with potty training and sometimes he can get out of hand. he doesnt listen too well hes very stubborn. i was cleaning up trash that he tore out of the can all the time until this week when we got a taller trash can WITH a lid! lol. and he whines when you dont pay attention to him. and he loves to tear up paper. pups are alot of work but in a few weeks you will see some changes and itll be alot of fun, im sure its fun now tho as well. ruffie may still be a little brat most of the time but i can also see him slowley understanding me, so hopfully he comes around and im sure youll do just fine with your pup! i had no time to research about rufus before i got him because well i didnt know i was getting him, he was a birthday present, so me and him are still learning about each other! good luck and have fun :) itll turn out ok just keep workin on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts