Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you who don't know Cookie he's my 15 year old Chihuahua. I've had him from a pup and he was my first ever Chihuahua. He's totally blind now sadly. I carried him out to the garden this morning and he decided to stay in the sun. He's a bit of a scruff bag now in his old age. As he's blind now I couldn't get him to look at me for the pics sorry.

I just took these pics an hour ago on my mobile:

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
When Carlos went blind, I would walk bacwards in front of him, so he could smell me, and run my finger quickly from his tail to his head, which seemed to spur him to walk forward.

It wasn't long until he was galloping, which totally surprised me.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for your lovely comments. For those who haven't seen him in is hey day here are a few pics:

You can really see how his face has changed and gone white now with age. And OMG at the second pic VHS videos in the background lol.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When Carlos went blind, I would walk bacwards in front of him, so he could smell me, and run my finger quickly from his tail to his head, which seemed to spur him to walk forward.

It wasn't long until he was galloping, which totally surprised me.
He can't even smell that good I don't think. If you tap him or put your hands in his face he whirls around. If I give him a treat I have to literally shove it in his mouth. If I wave it there by his mouth he still can't find it. If he drops it then there's no hope.

Now I just gently place my hand on him to let him know I'm there and pick him up and place him in his bed or in the garden. When he wanders on his own all he does is bash into everything.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Thanks for posting that lifted me up a little to see the little old man.You have done a VERY good job taking care of him and all.His coat and age shows it.Good going.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
He looks good, Marie. He's such a good looking old guy. When I give a treat to Tico, I touch him on his face and he knows to start feeling for it and I place it to the side of him mouth so my finger doesn't get taken with the treat, though I must say he is very gentle most times. When I go to pick him up, I talk to him telling him I'm there, then side my hand down his side and scoop him up. It's hard when they get old and blind, but they still can have a good quailty of life.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Cookie is so handsome! Both young and older....what a happy, well taken care of boy & companion:) You are lucky to have such a sweetie, and he is lucky to have you...thank for sharing, I loved the comparison of pic's!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Marie, he is still a handome young at heart gentleman. He was truly playing the camera in today's collection.How handsome he is.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts