Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other week I went to Walmart and found a new dog food for Sissy. Normally I would buy the beneiful for sissy that comes in the container with the colorful lids. I noticed another brand, next to it for 50 cent less named 'ol roy'.
I looked at it prior to buying and it has all fresh foods. no msg or preserves. the first ingrediant is chicken broth. :) the quality of it isn't all wet like beneful does it is more of a meaty substance.

does anybody else feed their chi w/ this?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
That brand is not a very good food at all! Really, none of the grocery store or Walmart brands are good at all, especially for chihuahuas. They are among the most re-called dog foods for contaminations and very poor quality. I myself feed my chis Ziwipeak and Wellness brands which you get in specialty shops for pets. Places like Petsmart and Petco have Wellness brand and there are a number of other better brands of dog foods that will be much better for your dogs. Someone else on this forum may have a list to tell you of the brands that are excellent for your chis!:D Please don't feed them Walmart brands!:(

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I agree with both that food is bad, I never will feed my animals department food again. I feed Amberleah Wellness Puppy dry and canned wellness core. I Feed eukunba for years to my Poms and all of them are gone, it crap food too!!! Look at food review chart above from Missy r

·
Registered
371 Posts
Petco has really good prices on wellness and what not when they go on sale. I just wait until it's 40% off then stock up! 9.99 for a 4 lbs bag, i got 4 bags for myself and 1 for my mom's dog. Bang free shipping!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I get mine fro a small feed store here, I live in country and no petco for a least a 1 drive. I wish they sold Orjieon but they dont. I would feed Raw but my husband wont let me. GRRR!!!!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Petco has really good prices on wellness and what not when they go on sale. I just wait until it's 40% off then stock up! 9.99 for a 4 lbs bag, i got 4 bags for myself and 1 for my mom's dog. Bang free shipping!
I noticed Petco is carrying a fairly decent variety of good quality foods lately. I'm lucky to have a couple of specialty stores close by plus a dog gym that will special order anything you want, including frozen raw.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
When we first brought Jaxx I sent my boyfriend to get him some food. He brought back Ol'roy. I refused to even give Jaxx a bite of it. I have had friends that worked in a store brand dog food plant. After the stories that they told me I would never feed a dog a store brand dog food.
The stories made me sick just to hear them (literally.)
I am not happy with the variety of food that PetSmart carries because I wish they carried better quality dog food but at least they carry a few good dog food brands much better than the ones carried at Wal Mart and other department stores/grocery stores.
Better quality food is more expensive but when you think about it our little dogs are so small that a small bag lasts long enough that in my mind a few dollars more for better health of our dogs is worth it.
The way I feel about it is I would not eat food that I was not sure is safe and good quality so I would never feed Jaxx food that I was not sure of and know that is good quality.
Tractor supply stores (or stores like tractor supply) carry food like Taste of the Wild that is reasonably priced and is much better quality then the food bought in a grocery or department store. I do not feed Jaxx Taste of the Wild but if it was a time when I had to find a lower priced food I would definitely feed him Taste of the Wild. I think the last time I was there I saw they had it for 10 dollars a small bag.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts