Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well I live in Phoenix and long story short lots and lots of dogs at pound. So after listening to the news I decided to go and I brought home a 1 yr. old chihuahua (there must have been at least 15 of them). Mind you I have a 8 yr old poodle and two cats. He came home with a bad kennel cough which he's now on medication from vet. But he absolutly will not eat dog food only table food. I purchased Royal Canin for Chihuahua's but he puts his nose up too it. I will break him from table food but my question is this. Since he's on medication for kennel cough and not the strongest should I wait to break him from table food right now? I don't need him to get any weaker and if so what is recommended. I had a chihuahua many years ago and he died at 18 years old so I'm not new with this breed but the food issue is worrying me.
Thank you:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Hubby and I adopted a chi about a month and a half ago from the pound here in ABQ. She was also very much wanting to beg and none too thrilled with her dog food. I got some Blue Buffalo for her and she now eats that like a champ. You might want to give it a try. Good luck with your new addition!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Honestly, you have to just not worry about it. He will get hungry and eat the dog food sooner than you think.

Twice a day, put down a bowl of food for 15 minutes. Pick it up afterwards. He'll probably be eating like a champ after 3 or so meals but some are stubborn and take longer.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
My dog was not eating and is so skinny you can see all her ribs. I went through a food search all last week and finally have settled on Sojos. It looks like table food (and smells like it too) after you rehydrate it (I sound like a commercial). Maya loves it. She even growled at Bruiser when she was eating and he came over to the bowl. (something she has NEVER done....doesn't care about food). So, she loves it and already after only a few days is filling out a little more (or I could be dreaming that, but I think so)
Good luck and can't wait to see pics.
Tricia

·
Registered
8 Posts
You should try wet puppy food for a couple of days till dogy gets better. Puppy food has more vitamins and Nutrients than adult food. Then switch/whine little by little to dry food. My recommendation is Nutro Natural Choice Puppy Chicken, rice & Oatmeal dinner @ pet supermarket. Also recommend NutriCal. Good Luck!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
My brother also swears by spaghetti sauce. He says that dogs will eat anything you put it on. ??? I have no idea personally, however.
Don't give a dog spaghetti sauce...that makes no sense at all. First of all it usually has onion and garlic in it, once which is toxic to dogs and the other a debateable food for them. Second, it's mashed up veggies, it has no nutritional value for it.

Stick to your guns. Food down a few times a day, food up after 15 minutes.

Sweep your floors. No treats or table scaps.

Your dog will eat, I promise.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Haven't personally tried it, but I have noticed a lot of people suggest baby food. Someone correct me (or add to) this, but a grain free chicken formula (no veggies) is the best. There is a specific brand name that has been thrown out there a lot, can't think of it now. Only add it to the kibble you bought a few times to get him to start eating it.

Don't do spaghetti sauce.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: Rocky is doing so much better day by day. I actually got him to eat some dry food
today. It was a chore but at least its a beginning. On a really brite side he's housebroken. Wow that was a nice surprise. He's the best and so very loving (except to the cats which he loves to chase) Rocky has a forever lovin home now and I'm blessed to have found him.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Do you have pictures of Rocky? I'm glad he's getting better.

Our Chi came from the shelter about a month ago. She's great, but she's still working on her housetraining. She's almost there.

I have adopted a few dogs from shelters and one had kennel cough. Kennel cough sounds so terrible, but I was told it's not really as bad as it sounds. My Cairn Terrier didn't really eat for 21 days. I thought she would die. I tried all kinds of foods, but after about 4-5 days I got nervous and I gave her calorie paste. I kept giving it to her every couple of days. She would eat about 3 kibbles or maybe half a tablespoon of wet food a day at most. Finally she started eating, and she has been eating like a champ since then so I have to make sure she doesn't get fat.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Please let us know how Rocky is doing.
Get some soft food chicken and rice and mix a little of that with the hard food or just a little bit of baby food.Not alot just enough to make it smell better.And just keep an eye on him he should eat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well first Rocky is doing GREAT. Kennel cough seems to be gone, he's eating dry dog food and like I stated he's housebroken. He does LOVE to chase my two cats and he gets along OK with my older poodle. Best of all he has brought so much love into our house. Its only my husband and I (he's on disablity) so he's home all day except for when he goes to dialyses and Rocky keeps him company at home. Rocky has made himself feel right at home. I cannot believe this loving dog came sooooooo close to being put down. On a sad note once again on the news they are asking people to adopt cats and dogs and they showed numerous chihuahua's. The pound is so over crowded here in Phoenix. It breaks my heart to see the chihuahua's in the pound. So if anyone out there lives near the Phoenix area get down there this weekend. Also can someone tell me how to upload a picture.
Thank you

1 - 16 of 16 Posts