Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as most of you know, we lost our Ferret "Haku" a little over a year ago and quite frankly I really didnt think we would ever get another but...Today we ran into this guy. He is 18 weeks old, 3.6 lbs and 22" long, LOL! He is quite the chunker and we fell immediately in love with him. His name is "Gaara" after a Japanese cartoon character. Sorry so blurry, taken from a picture phone.
Meet Gaara
He pulled down part of the box on the way home to make himself sort of a cot :)

He is sooooo sweet

He is bigger than the Chi's LOL!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Oh how cute! I've always been a bit scared of these because I've heard stories but I always wonder if they are just raised poorly in those cases. How long do they live? So sorry about your other little one that passed away :( Gaara sure is cute and how smart to make himself a bed LOL That is super cute!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Awwwww what a cutie!! Is he a Marshall Farms? He is so big he almost looks privately bred!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, he is a Marshall Farms ferret. Not my first choice by any means. From my understanding Marshall Farm ferrets do not live as long? I am not I big ferret expert by any means but we did some research when we first got "Haku" and we read some stuff about them. Ofcourse lately we have been hearing a lot of good about them so I am not really sure what to believe. We just know that "Haku" was the sweetest guy ever. Although I am thinking he may have been a girl as "Gaara" is 3 times the size that "Haku" was.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yes, he is a Marshall Farms ferret. Not my first choice by any means. From my understanding Marshall Farm ferrets do not live as long? I am not I big ferret expert by any means but we did some research when we first got "Haku" and we read some stuff about them. Ofcourse lately we have been hearing a lot of good about them so I am not really sure what to believe. We just know that "Haku" was the sweetest guy ever. Although I am thinking he may have been a girl as "Gaara" is 3 times the size that "Haku" was.
Marshall Farms are the puppy mill of ferrets. They breed thousands and thousands for the mass pet shop market. They don't select for size or color, but they do breed the "easy keepers" so they are likely to have sweet personalities. If they can't handle them, they are culled. Of course all kits are playful and nippy, but some ferret farms have animals with sharper temperaments.

The average lifespan of a ferret is 6.5 years. There is progress being made in the privately bred ferrets for longer lifespans but that is the average.

Is he deaf? I can't tell from the picture if he's a panda or a blaze. If he has a lot of white on his head (striping) or lots of white fur, then that color pattern is linked to deafness. Both of our ferrets were pandas and they were both deaf. It's not hard to deal with once you know it.

Diet is really important in these little guys. They are an obligate carnivore with a very short digestive tract, so they need premium kitten food with a very high protein and fat level. Or you can use a ferret food such as Totally Ferret. The Marshalls food is fish based and can make them smell quite offensive. The chicken based foods don't do that. They imprint on food so it's good to feed them several brands of food mixed together so that if they change the formula, they won't stop eating. They also like chicken baby food. :)

Adrenal disease and insulinoma are the main killers of ferrets. I don't think that Marshall Farms babies have a higher incidence than privately bred ferrets. I think there are just more of them afflicted because the sheer numbers of them is so much higher. It's good if you can provide total darkness for at least 8 hours, as that helps to regulate and protect the adrenal gland. A sleeping box is good in a dark room. Ferrets like to burrow. If, after several years, you see thinning of the hair you can do the hormone implants to prolong the disease progression. Some adrenal ferrets go completely bald. Insulinoma can be controlled with prednisone.

Congrats on your new baby!! :)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. Yes I did a lot of research with the first one and know about the diseases. I know about Marshall Farms and how they are the millers of Ferrets to. I wouldnt have chosen him myself but my daughter did. The first one we had was one we found that was being given away. We have a huge enclosure with a sleeping box, a sleeping tube and hammock among other things. We were feeding a premium ferret food that was suggested from a Ferret board when we had "Haku" but since this was short notice we have a Marshall Farm food until we can get the other. We also do not have him on Cedar shavings as that can be dangerous to any small animal. We use yesterdays news litter.

I did not know about the deafness in that color scheme but when I rattled a bag yesterday while in the car it seemed to scare him so dont think that is the case but I will test him further.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ours is a Marshall as well b/c the sale and breeding of ferrets is tightly controlled here. She is 3 lbs of fluff and is very sweet-natured. We feed her only premium chicken-based food. The Marshall stuff stinks! She won't eat anything else. Fuzzies can be considered exotic and some people group them with rodents. We have a playpen for her but she prefers just to hang out on my shoulders.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Our first one didnt like the Chi's and would bite at them but Gaara doesnt seem to mind them and Yoshi pretty much ignores him but Chibi plays with him :). Yuka our Coatimundi used to torture Haku but she has been ignoring Gaara thus far. We always have to give them different play times through out the day as Gaara would be food for Yuka if they were in the wild :-(

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have been looking at a website that shows the colors of ferrets and it looks like he is a Siamese or pointed pattern. He has the zipper on his belly. He has like a gray mask and a little darker behind the ears. He has a white bib, black as night legs and white feet. It says on this site that the colors that usually are deaf are the "Badger/Shetland or Blaze.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I have been looking at a website that shows the colors of ferrets and it looks like he is a Siamese or pointed pattern. He has the zipper on his belly. He has like a gray mask and a little darker behind the ears. He has a white bib, black as night legs and white feet. It says on this site that the colors that usually are deaf are the "Badger/Shetland or Blaze.
Good, I'm glad he's not a panda or a blaze. Deaf ferrets have some special needs. Not that big of a deal, but it's really nice when they can hear normally! :hello1:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts