Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - My name is Jo and I have a 10 week old little boy, Auggie. I grew up with chi's from infancy through my teen years, but Auggie is my first OFFICIAL chi that I can call all my own :) Looking forward to getting to know everyone and learning a lot in the process.

I am really interested in feeding him raw and am thinking that trying pre made is a good way to get my feet wet. We are planning to make a trip to a few of the smaller specialty pet shops to see what kind of variety they have. Any good suggestions to get us started, that are idiot proof ;)

·
Registered
5,542 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the warm welcome and the link too :) I've been reading through old posts on here and you are right, this could become a very addictive place for me :) Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Jo

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi All - My name is Jo and I have a 10 week old little boy, Auggie. I grew up with chi's from infancy through my teen years, but Auggie is my first OFFICIAL chi that I can call all my own :) Looking forward to getting to know everyone and learning a lot in the process.

I am really interested in feeding him raw and am thinking that trying pre made is a good way to get my feet wet. We are planning to make a trip to a few of the smaller specialty pet shops to see what kind of variety they have. Any good suggestions to get us started, that are idiot proof ;)
Hey! I'm in Indiana too! Where are you located? I'm close to Speedway, on the west side. I feed my dog raw- he has been on it for two and a half months now- and I can PM you some great places for raw, both pet shops for pre-made and markets for "real" raw! Going all-raw is not only easy, it's "safer" and puts your mind at ease much more than pre-made, IMO, just because the ground-up patties that Primal, etc. make don't have the benefits of your Auggie crunching through bones AND you don't actually know the ratios (the ideal raw ratios is 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ). I was terrified of raw and one day I just decided (well, I was kind of prepped beforehand :p) to start!

The best raw site I know if is Dedicated to proper carnivore nutrition - Prey Model Raw Feeding for Dogs & Cats. It has a "Getting Started" link that contains pretty much everything you need to know.

My chihuahua has done extremely well on raw, so I hope you do decide to go raw, even if you start off with pre-made.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Chelsea! I'm in Goshen, about 1 1/2 hrs northwest of fort wayne. I really do want to do raw but am sort of scared to go 'real' raw at first. I'm afraid I'll mess it up somehow. I'm still leaning towards jumping in at first with the pre made stuff and getting our feet wet. Thanks for the site, I'll check it out :)

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Hello Jo and Welcome to CP. Cheryl posted a good thread to read thru. I feed Ziwipeak a dehydrated raw. We have many raw feeders that are so willing to help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts