Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I just recently got my first Chi. I found him running around in traffic, and in spite of him being very clean and looking well cared for, nobody has responded to my signs, or put in a claim at the shelters near me. I think he might have come from a house a few blocks away where they have several Chi's in their yard in the morning, but I put a sign in front of that house and got nothing. He's cute as can be, and very sweet to everyone he meets, but I'm not used to such a hyper little dog. He has separation anxieties. When I put him in the bathroom to go to work, he barks and yowls something awful. He doesn't always come when called, or only comes part way and then when I move, he runs the other direction. If I put a leash on him and try to teach him to come, he just drops down and rolls over on his back. He goes potty in the yard, but will also go in the house, sometimes after just having come in from the yard. If I tell him no about something he will stop....for about 30 seconds, then go right back to doing it again. And this occurs repeatedly until I tell him no to the point of him cowering down and not wanting to come over to me. Same with having him sit, or lie down, or stay. He does these things, but it only sticks for a few seconds, then he's off again. Is there any hope for him? I'd like to keep him, but my husband is already saying maybe I should sell him, or take him to a shelter (where he'd probably just end up getting put down for space). Any help will be greatly appreciated by all of us. I also have cats, and a great dane, so he's not the only animal here.:banghead:

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Hi & welcome! Kudos to you for taking the little guy in!
YES of course there is hope! There is always hope! With a little love and patience all is possible. Before trying to diagnose any behavior issues, number one thing is to make sure your pup is healthy. Have you taking him to the vet yet? How long have you had him for? What's his estimated age?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Welcome!!

Since we do not know how long you have had your little one, I am going to answer assuming it has not been many months.

Everything is new to him. EVERYTHING. Imagine if you were dropped off at a strange house in a strange city and you were unfamiliar with their culture, language and food. It would take you awhile to settle in.

He is going to take some time to come around. Since you do not know where he is from you also do not know how he was treated, where he slept, what he ate, etc. It is likely that everything that you are doing is something new.

I have one who is skittish and will often run away when we are trying to get her. She came from an excellent background, she is just that way. It took her a good 6 months with us to become more of who she is today.

Chis, by nature, (unless they are ill or older) are not typically overly docile nor passive. They are a companion breed. They feel it is their JOB to be with you, follow and look after you. Usually very excitedly. One of mine is independent. The other two cannot bear it if I go into a room where they cannot be with me. It is just their nature. I do not know the nature of Great Danes but I do know that my Chis are NOTHING like cats.

It is going to take a TON of love, patience and teaching if you keep him. I'd take that route before I'd be too worried about correction or trying to have him behave as if he had always been with you or he is someone other than who he is.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the quick responses. I do realize everything is very new to him. I've only had him one week today. I haven't taken him to my vet yet, as the office visit alone is $50 and I don't have the money right now. However, when I found him I was on the way to work, and I work at a wildlife rescue where we have on staff vets, and one of our directors used to operate a dog/cat shelter. We estimated his age to be about one year, as he has all his adult teeth and they are still sparkling white - no tarter. He was VERY clean when I found him, not a flea or speck of dirt anywhere. And the whole time he was in the office at work he didn't mess once, and was very quiet. Not so much so now that he's been home for a week. I just bought some pee pads to try with him, since I do work all day. I had been putting him in the bathroom with a gate up when I'm not home. Of course he barks and howls about that. But just now when we went out to the store and I put him in there, he was out by the time we got back home. Not sure if he jumped over the gate or climbed it (is a high one), or if he figured out to jump on the toilet seat, then to the tank and over. Point is, he's figured out how to get out. But if I close the door, I'm afraid he thinks he's being punished. I do know I've had to take everything off the vanity because he figured out to jump up to the edge of the bathtub, then up to the vanity. He does want to be with me where ever I go, even if its just a few feet away. I do believe he slept on a bed with his owner(s) because the first half of the week I would put him in the bathroom when I went to bed and he would howl throughout the night. I finally told my husband we needed to try him in the bedroom and he agreed as long as I thought he would stay on my side of the bed (hubby is a very light sleeper). As soon as he was on the bed with me, he curled up right under my arm with his head on my shoulder and went to sleep. I've brought him into bed with me since, and he curls up next to me (usually under the sheet) and stays there all night. He is not neutered yet, don't know if that makes a difference in energy level with chi's or not as it can in other breeds. I'm just used to a lower energy dog, this will take some getting used to assuming I never find his original owner. On that note, the house I mentioned hanging a sign in front of turned out not to be the one where I had seen with all the chi's in the yard. The house I had seen was a couple of blocks further down, and is an immaculate looking house, as is the yard, and the dogs in it. I'm going to put another sign up in front of that one. Just for the dogs sake. Even though I would like to keep him, I would think at least at this early point he would be very happy being back with other chi's he knows in a house and situation he knows. I don't know if they're breeders and were just going to sell him though. Any thoughts on that?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts