Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!! How I have missed you all! I haven't been posting much lately as I have been extremely busy this past month with school. It's almost finals week too, so that makes my work load 10x heavier! AH! But, I have been popping in here and there browsing and looking at all the cute pictures! I shall be back in no time! In the meantime...

I'm thinking of getting another fur baby! The breeder that I got Roxy from is ABSOLUTELY, 100%, without a doubt where I will go to get another fur baby. Roxy just has the best personality, attitude, social skills, etc. Everything I worried about is NOT present in Roxy at all. She's seriously perfect. Not saying that ALL of this ladies dogs will be perfect, but she does a great job at raising them and refuses to breed dogs with questionable or negative temperaments.

So, ANYWAYS ... now that I rambled on ... she has a litter now that is about 7 weeks old. Most of those dogs were claimed within days! There is one left. A little boy who is a bit reddish now, but she thinks he'll be mostly fawn when he's older. I am in love with him, but right now is just NOT the right time at all. She just had a litter of LC born YESTERDAY! YAY! :) But, I'm not ready for a LC yet. I'm still too set on SC at the moment. So THEN I see today that she has a litter that should be due in the middle of MAY!

Now, I'm torn! I am taking summer classes up here at college until the end of June. By the time these babies are born and ready, I'll be done with classes! PERFECT TIME FOR ME TO GET ANOTHER BABY!!!!!!!! :)

Now, my only concern ... boy or girl? Will Roxy get along better with one over the other? What are your experiences? Will she be jealous at first? Or will she love the new sibling? ALSO ... these babies will be Roxy's HALF brother/sister. They'll have the same dad! Is this okay? Please let me know your thoughts! :hello1:

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Well i have 2 girl chis and a boy sheltie ,they all get on no trouble at all In fact Lily thinks Dottie (the new one ) is her baby ,cleans her eyes and gives into her when she steals her toys.there wasn't any jealousy at all .but this is just my experience with my lot.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahhh! This is soooo cute! Good to know! Thanks!

Well i have 2 girl chis and a boy sheltie ,they all get on no trouble at all In fact Lily thinks Dottie (the new one ) is her baby ,cleans her eyes and gives into her when she steals her toys.there wasn't any jealousy at all .but this is just my experience with my lot.

I have heard that about females! Which is why I wasn't sure ... but I guess it depends on the dogs like you said because Lily and Dottie love each other.

Well it's hard to say because it depends on their personalities. If it were me i'd get a male though. I always tried to alternate sexes lol. They say females can really get "into it" when they don't like eachother.:nscared:

Roxy will be 8 months tomorrow!! :)

Can you remind us how old Roxy is?

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Well, I have 6 females and they all get along pretty well now that Xena is no longer here. But Xena was an agressive min pin mix, so that was different. Introducing a new dog has always been pretty easy for my lot. So basically, it's comes down to whatever dog strikes your heart should be fine. Roxy is young enough to acceppt any new playmate.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Well, I have several thoughts.

Since Roxy is young you remember how much work she was in the beginning. My girl's are close to her age and they are a BREEZE now. I do not have to watch them every second and they are potty trained, of course. HOWEVER....We were going to wait until Hope was one or older to get another and decided with the help of enablers (haha!) here to do it sooner rather than later. For us it was a good idea. Neither are jealous when the other is getting attention from us and they seem on pretty level ground in terms of who is in control of what.

My girls LOOOOOOVE each other. Our shy one even runs to the other if she is spooked by someone or something. They groom each other and look for each other if they are not nearby. They wrestle and chase. They will, however, get into a squabble when one has a favorite toy of the other. I have only ever had 1 chi at a time until now so I cannot tell you if that is normal or a same gender to same gender issue.

This cannot have been helpful because I gave information that may be conflicting!! You have to decide for yourself but in light of school and those stresses, you will know best if adding a baby to the mix would be too much right now. Also, get who and what you want.

Cannot wait to hear what you decide!

·
Registered
355 Posts
From the way you describe Roxy's temperament - and her relative youth - there should be no problem integrating another pup of either gender, but I always alternate. Friends of mine always have two males, though, and they do fine. I know how you feel about the smoothies - the Shih Tzu rescue I volunteer for didn't understand why I wanted a short-coated dog, and my hubby loves a curly spaniel-type coat, but give me a smooth coat to stroke (and maintain) any day!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts