Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, here's another girl i have found to see about. I am told she is 16 weeks old and is 1.5 pounds. I have requested pics of her next to a pop can so i can do a size compare, plus since its a request i know it will be a recent pic. i hate when people post the youngest pics and then the pup ends up bigger in more recent pics. i know WHY they do it lol but its not helpful to me hehehe. anyway, also was mentioned that her eyes water a bit sometimes but its probably her eyelashes??/ whats that about? i have asked for more details about that in my mail./ anyway. here she is, opinions please :)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i wanted to post this as well, she has another litter thats just ready to go home, with first shots and dewormed (standard puppy stuff) I don't know how old they are , I will ask, but the 16 week old girl has all shots done including rabies and this litter only first shots and deworming (the first girls shots are all done, the first series of shots not just the first one). anyway, as a bit of a size compare, here is the second litter of "just ready to go home" pups with first shots only

and again....the first girl ( 16 weeks)

Vet papers also will be given I guess as proof of age and shots, so I don;t thinjk she is trying to pass a 16 week old pup as an 8 or 9 week one that would be "just ready to go home" (to sell it as a tiny when really its the same as the others I mean)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and, not to be left out lol Her's a pic of Willy beside a big bear at about 13 weeks and he is now mr 3.5 pounds lol

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I see these guys are all from the same person. One thing that worried me / is strange is that one puppy in the can has like NO fur. Really really naked looking...

Also maybe its just me but the 16 week olds head looks a bit weird to me. As does her eye set. If the breeder says her eye lashes are causing tearing thats a possible problem. There are conditions where eyelids can turn in and irritate the eye.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i can see fur on the back of the pup in the can, it just looks like it has a naked neck area like Tracys Brody

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I see these guys are all from the same person. One thing that worried me / is strange is that one puppy in the can has like NO fur. Really really naked looking...

Also maybe its just me but the 16 week olds head looks a bit weird to me. As does her eye set. If the breeder says her eye lashes are causing tearing thats a possible problem. There are conditions where eyelids can turn in and irritate the eye.
Actually very common in short hairs. My lil girl honda has the same problem with no hair on her neck.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this pup also is in decent driving distance from me so its an easy drive to check her out personally before making and decisions

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Yes neck hair missing ok. Schroeders got a naked neck and stomach. And as a pup Phoebe had somewhat thin hair, and still has thinner hair on her head but no where near that pup. That pups head looks almost completely bald!

And I still think that girls head looks odd...

Are you just looking for a pet girl?

·
Registered
320 Posts
i agree with Quinn, the little puppy does look bald, around the neck area and above her eyes, she is cute though! i also agree that the girl in the first pic, her head looks a little large, her ears dont look big enough. she is beautiful and i do love her markings, but if your not using her for show and she is just a pet i think she is gorgeous.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
They are all sooo cute!!
I do have to agree about the wee baldy one though, seems a lot of fur is missing.
I actually love the long coat black and white one in the 2nd litter best, but that is just me, lol

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
These babies are precious. I would take the whole litter. The one in the can looks so sweet and scared. Poor baby. Make me want to swoop her up. LOL.

Looks to me these babies are more what you are looking for!.

And I know all the reasons for not chooseing a "runt" but I have always been a sucker for the "little one".

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
My opinion.... these are not quality dogs. They are pet quality. If that's what you want - that's perfectly fine. But if you are looking for better conformation - this isn't it.

The first girl has an odd shaped head/muzzle. Her stop isn't 90 degrees or anywhere near that. She isn't apple headed at all. Her muzzle is like a ski slope, coming right off the head. PLEASE DON'T TAKE THIS AS INSULTING. I am just giving my opinion. ;) Perfectly fine for a pet! NOT breeding quality, regardless of how small she stays. There's more to conformation than size. Correct head is a hallmark of our breed.

The other pups are very common, typical backyard bred Chi's from non-standard parents. The little one in the coffee can has a skin/coat problem. Yes, smooths can have bare skin on the neck and underside. That's common. Sometimes some thinning in front of the ears. But this puppy is practically bald as a baby! I think this puppy is going to lose most/all of it's coat at a very young age.

If you are looking for breeding quality - keep looking. If you are looking for a pet - they'd all be fine probably.

Again..... before I even LOOKED at puppies, I'd be asking for pictures of the PARENTS. That's going to be a good indicator of how they will turn out. As I've said earlier, most puppies are really cute. But if you are looking for a good quality pup, cute doesn't cut it.

·
Registered
898 Posts
She's not "standard" but she is very cute and she seems to be very tiny, so if tiny is what you really want than you should go check her out, well you should find out about that eye problem though.

Are you looking for another pet or to breed? If to breed I say don't go with this one.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Well im not being rude but i agree with TinyGiant & Brodysmum! none of these puppies are not of breeding quality as pretty as the little chocolate girl is she doent really appeal to me as something to breed from to me her muzzle/head is wrongly shaped and her ears look "wonky" I dont know whether this is just me or not! And the little puppy in the coffee can does look tooo bald for my liking ive never seen a puppy with that little amount of fur. At the end of the day its your decision and if you want one for a pet then its your choice. To breed from i would say no.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I would not buy from this breeder. Just my opinion. All of these pups are pet quality, but I guess I'm not real sure what you are looking for? You are looking for pet quality, right? Just more to standard in size and looks? You aren't looking to show or breed? Correct me if I am wrong. :)

I would skip all the pop can pics, Bear pics, etc. Just ask for them to take a pic of them on a scale. It takes no more time to do that then these others. But please remember that their weight right now won't tell you much. They can be slow growers, fast growers, or steady slow growers. Also, look at all the size ranges you get with certain weights.

It's also hard for us to help and give advice on size and weights. Everyone has their own opinion of what is small, etc. Are you trying to find one Willy's size? I think I read that in one of your threads. I don't really see much size difference between Willy & Luna. Other than Luna is more cobby. Short and stout. Willy is very tall, long and has a thinner build than Luna. I guess I'm kinda lost on what you are looking for. :confused:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great advice everyone :) Thanks :)
Just so everyone knows, I am in NO way taking any advice given as an insult :)
I want brutal honesty and thats why i am posting and asking.
I guess maybe to clear things up, I have been doing alot of thinking. I want a cute small girl and yes, if I dig down deeply I know I want to find one and breed. HOWEVER, I don't want to get into another breeding "agruement" with anyone. I don't want the posts to turn into "you shouldn't breed because "blah blah blah". I am trying to find a good quailty girl to do that if I am really honest with myself.
I am willing to look for one from a reputable breeder and pay higher then the BYB prices I have seen.
I just need help to do this. I am looking for what is right :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts