Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading these forums for a few weeks now ever since I came across this website. I almost feel like I already know some of you, lol! I am a wife and a stay at home Mom of 3 great kids (human, lol). I have 2 boys ages 16 and 8, and a girl who is 5. Come this fall, it will be the first time all three of my kids will be in school full time since my little girl will be starting Kindergarten. Out here, Kindergarten runs all day 5, days a week. I've been wanting to get a chi for many years, but wanted to wait until my kids were out of the toddler stage. I've loved chi's most of my life. My Grandma had 2 of them when I was growing up and I had a very special bond with both of them. She had a fawn male and a blue female. Both were fixed and never had babies. I knew that one day I would have one of my own and I am so excited that that time is almost here! I have done a lot of research over the years and am very comfortable with the ins and outs of the breed. The only thing I worry a bit about is housebreaking. My Grandma's chi's always left little "surprises" for her when she would leave them loose in the house for any period of time. They never pee'd, just poo'd. She just totally excepted this as normal and would just pick it up like it was no big deal. I'm hoping to not have to deal with that. I plan on crate training. I have found a breeder in my area that is expecting pups in mid-July so it will still be a few months until I am able to get my chi. I think this will be a good time since it will be after the kids are back in school. I am seriously thinking on getting two. I know I want to have two anyways, and after reading a lot of other people's opinions, I think getting two at the same time is the best route. The breeder I am getting them from is aware of this and says she will give me a good deal on two. I love to watch chi's together playing, and I don't believe having two makes things much harder. Actually, I think it makes things easier for them since they always have a companion around. Since I stay at home, they wouldn't be left for long periods, but I may one day get a part time job and who knows what will happen in the future. Well, sorry I made this so long, I really just wanted to introduce myself a little and say Hi! :hello2:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hello and welcome! As for housetraining, you just have to be really consistant. They are tiny dogs and they can't hold it long so they do go often, especially pee. If you have a house with access to a yard you can train them to potty outside. I have a yard so my girls go outside to potty when ime home. But because I do work part time 4 days a week, I have a pee pad inside as well and they use it at night and whenever I'm not home. 2 chi puppies may be more to handle than you might think but I think its possible if you are home all the time. The training is double, the cost off vaccinations, food, spay or nueter, is double. But I think if you are consistant enough, its doable.

·
Registered
97 Posts
hi hun welcome i have just got a baby chi 2days ago and already he is doing his poos outside xx today his paper dry and i have just been down to check in him and took him out back and he done his business very proud mummy i am xxx keep us informed on your babys and i think 2 is a good idea if your planning on having 2 anyway xxx

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! Kim how exciting just getting your baby! Congrats on him doing so well with his potty training! Hopefully I will be as lucky when I finally get mine!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
2 at a time is not hard. I got my 2nd puppy 8 weeks after I got my first because I thought he was terribly lonely (I work full time) and it wasn't any more work. You're already potty training so you just take both of them at once, it's easy to take 2 to the vet at once for shots (although more expensive), you can train them both at the same time - no harder at all really. I'm getting a third soon, I'm expecting that will be more work but I think it will be worth it!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I do get them both from this breeder, she will have already started training them to puppy pads, so that will be very helpful!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Welcome to CP. Potty training is easy if you are consistent. My little girl it didn't take long cause I took her out every thirty to forty five minutes. I haven't had her long but she is full grown, and has never been trained. Good luck to you! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts