Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello to all of you chi lovers! my name is Brenda and i'm 23 years old. I own a very handsome, who's three years old, named Guny. I posted this on the newbies corner but re-posting here just in case.

I feel like my Guny might be depressed... here's the story. About a month ago, my grandmother died and i haven't feel the same since then. I obviously got a little depressed and so did everyone at home. Then about two weeks ago, my sister's parakeet died. She was some sort of friend to my Guny. After that he got sick with parasites but he finished with his meds yesterday and we already got rid of the parasites. The thing is that i've seen him down and behaving in a weird way. He's eating but not as much as he used to. He's also sleeping too much and he's not being as playful as he's used too. I think it could be because of the meds but i am not sure. I've read that they can pick on our depression and feelings. I called the vet and told him about his behaviour, i also booked an appointment for tomorrow morning but i would like to know what you think. do you think that the environment he's been surrounded by is affecting him? is he picking our depression? is there such thing as a homemade something to help him cheer up?
i would really appreciate your thought on this since you're all chi owners

oh and one thing i forgot to mention, about two weeks ago we had some visits and my aunt had a 16 year old poodle with her and they basically spend the entire week with us. Guny and him were friends and now that they are gone, could that also be some sort of fact that can be affecting him?

thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wow that sounds like a lot to deal with. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Chi's, or actually any dog, gets emotional and they can totally feel when we're not doing well. My guess is that he just needs to readjust to how things are now. Of course that taking him to the vet is a good idea since some symptoms could also be from an illness.
Try to do the activities he enjoys the most more often and also try new things/games. You'll see that not only he'll get happier, he'll also help you deal with depression.
Hope this help and if you take him to the vet please keep us updated :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
What did the vet say? I've had many dogs in my life (76 yrs old) and I've had some of them grieve over a loss, but most have just gone on with their life. I grieved much more than they did! Give Guny a little time and see.

·
Registered
382 Posts
What did the vet say? I've had many dogs in my life (76 yrs old) and I've had some of them grieve over a loss, but most have just gone on with their life. I grieved much more than they did! Give Guny a little time and see.

I am roughly the same age. Some friends of ours had a pug who was very attached to the 90+ year mother, who lived with them. He did develop an anxiety/grief reaction to the death of the elderly lady - he was her constant companion. A vet did help out using Xanax; the problem is still not completely cured many months later, but there has been progress.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi all, thanks and sorry for the late reply... the vet said he didn't need meds at the moment because his case is not that serious. he did tell me to play more with him and involve him in more activities and that he knows it can be hard but that we all needed to try to cheer up and give him some extra love. he said that we would start with meds if he doesn't improve in a week. i'm starting to see some changes on him so hopefully we won't need them

1 - 5 of 5 Posts