Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Megan, my chi's name is Yoda he is eight months old I have had him for about a month. We love him to death. Today though when I got in the car to drive to town he threw up clear foamy liquid. Later we came home he eat and drank and took a nap. Again getting in the car he did it again same thing? is it something I should be considered about? I gave him a bath last night thought maybe he got to cold but not sure why that would make him throw up. Please help

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Sounds like he gets car sick! ;)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Definitely sounds like he gets car sick. Before you take him in the car, ask him excitedly if he wants to go for a car ride. Him seeing how excited you are will eventuly help to calm him down. Take him to the park for walks so he sees that a car ride is a fun, good thing. He's scared. Might have had a bad experience before with a car. He might think you're taking him to get rid of him. Don't forget to talk calmly to him while you are riding in the car.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I disagree. Excitement is the last thing you want to do to overcome fear of something. He will still throw up, he'll just be wound up and maybe throw up more. He is anxious and car sick, that is why it's clear and foamy. Make sure that when you take him for car rides, he doesn't eat soon beforehand. Start with the car off and spend some time with him in the car. If he isn't showing any fear signs (shaking, hiding, excessive panting) then play with him, give him treats ect to form a positive association with the car. I know you can't stop taking him places, but the more time he spends in the car with you in a manner that allows him to feel safe and not anxious, the easier it will be. Try super short trips (when the car is going to move don't use treats) and use toys and affection to make car rides the best experience possible. Make sure that if he is showing signs of fear that you don't reward that, allow him to get comfortable first or you will be rewarding his fear rather than reinforcing a positive association. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I disagree. Excitement is the last thing you want to do to overcome fear of something. He will still throw up, he'll just be wound up and maybe throw up more. He is anxious and car sick, that is why it's clear and foamy. Make sure that when you take him for car rides, he doesn't eat soon beforehand. Start with the car off and spend some time with him in the car. If he isn't showing any fear signs (shaking, hiding, excessive panting) then play with him, give him treats ect to form a positive association with the car. I know you can't stop taking him places, but the more time he spends in the car with you in a manner that allows him to feel safe and not anxious, the easier it will be. Try super short trips (when the car is going to move don't use treats) and use toys and affection to make car rides the best experience possible. Make sure that if he is showing signs of fear that you don't reward that, allow him to get comfortable first or you will be rewarding his fear rather than reinforcing a positive association. Hope this helps!
He needs to see positive emotions and detect fear from her otherwise he'll never get over the fear of cars. Ignoring his fear is not going to help him get over the fear. He's young enough, that it shouldn't take long for him to realize a car ride is not a bad thing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Excitement is not an emotion. Positive emotions are fine, but excitement is counter productive. The idea is to let him become calm while in the car before creating positive associations; not ignoring the fear, but not rewarding it either. Rewarding calm, non-fearful behavior.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
chico gets car sick...... I feed him a Ginger snap cookie about 30 mins b4 I leave... helps him alot.... If I don't have cookies.... there are over the counter pills to calm him for the car ride.... either works well for chico....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yoda

Yeah I think he just has a tummy ache earlier ago he threw up some food. I am going to keep an eye on him and if I have to take him to vet tomorrow our vet costs way to much to take him in tonight.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I feel ya on the emergency vet visits $$$$$. If you can get him to keep some Cream of Rice cereal down, that will soothe his stomach and keep his blood sugar stable until he feels better. If you're grain-free, instant mashed works well, too. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts