Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey so I'm Natalie:) &I'm wondering if the Chihuahua is right for me.
I want a dog that will get along with other dogs, and occasionally a small child who will want to pet it - the Chi wouldn't live with a small child. I want a dog I can take with me wherever I go and I want to have a good bond<3 :) I want a dog that is good for apartment life and will be friendly with my family and close friends. I don't want a dog that will constantly bark and yap.
So, do they have a good temperament for my life?
I really want to hear about your Chi's and their personalities and how you trained them to adjust to your life (like not to bark, be social, etc). THANKS!! :D

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Welcome to the forum! If you use it often, you'll find a lot of great advice and tips on here! :) A lot of great people! :nhappy3:

To be honest, I think it just depends on the dog. One owner's chihuahua may be super nice and calm with a great personality, while another owners chihuahua may be a little aggressive or mean. Some may bark and yap, while others may not. It really depends on the dog. This goes for other breeds as well. Make sure you get your furbaby from a good breeder. The breeder I got Roxy from breeds for temperament. That's her goal. So, just do your research first. I think it also depends on how the dog is raised by their owner as well. :)

Roxy gets along well with my two labs, however, she is around them often. It takes her a bit to warm up to new dogs, but after a while, she's always fine. She likes to let all other dogs know she's in charge though! She's not ALWAYS super sweet to them like she is to me. But she LOVES to play with other dogs. I got her used to being around other dogs right away. I started as soon as possible. I wanted her to be sociable!

I personally think it's okay if a young child is around a chihuahua, as long as they are constantly being supervised and know how to handle it. These babies are so fragile, that anything could happen, even unintentional. Just keep a close watch! :D

I take Roxy with me to many of the places I go (that are appropriate). She's easy to bring a long because she's so small. When I'm at school, she lives with me in my apartment too. It's a college apartment, but it's a pretty decent sized apartment, so she still has plenty of room. She RARELY barks, so it's very easy to keep her in an apartment though. It's not possible to say that ALL chihuahuas bark, and its not possible to say that NO chihuahuas bark. This also just depends on the dog. Roxy has a great temperament and she doesn't bark. But, some do! There are ways to train them not to bark and other options to stop it too. :) Since Roxy rarely barks, I barely had to do any training. When she does bark when it's not necessary, I firmly tell her "no". But, a dog is a dog! They're going to bark sometimes, so I let it go when it's okay. :)

Look around and search the forum, you'll find a lot more advice and tips from training, walking on a leash, collars, food, etc. You'll learn things you'd never even think of! :)

Welcome!

·
Registered
407 Posts
hey so I'm Natalie:) &I'm wondering if the Chihuahua is right for me.
I want a dog that will get along with other dogs, and occasionally a small child who will want to pet it - the Chi wouldn't live with a small child. I want a dog I can take with me wherever I go and I want to have a good bond<3 :) I want a dog that is good for apartment life and will be friendly with my family and close friends. I don't want a dog that will constantly bark and yap.
So, do they have a good temperament for my life?
I really want to hear about your Chi's and their personalities and how you trained them to adjust to your life (like not to bark, be social, etc). THANKS!! :D
WElcome to CP! Sounds perfect for wht you wish,just keep reinforcing tons of early socialization! Good luck!:hello1:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum! If you use it often, you'll find a lot of great advice and tips on here! :) A lot of great people! :nhappy3:

To be honest, I think it just depends on the dog. One owner's chihuahua may be super nice and calm with a great personality, while another owners chihuahua may be a little aggressive or mean. Some may bark and yap, while others may not. It really depends on the dog. This goes for other breeds as well. Make sure you get your furbaby from a good breeder. The breeder I got Roxy from breeds for temperament. That's her goal. So, just do your research first. I think it also depends on how the dog is raised by their owner as well. :)

Roxy gets along well with my two labs, however, she is around them often. It takes her a bit to warm up to new dogs, but after a while, she's always fine. She likes to let all other dogs know she's in charge though! She's not ALWAYS super sweet to them like she is to me. But she LOVES to play with other dogs. I got her used to being around other dogs right away. I started as soon as possible. I wanted her to be sociable!

I personally think it's okay if a young child is around a chihuahua, as long as they are constantly being supervised and know how to handle it. These babies are so fragile, that anything could happen, even unintentional. Just keep a close watch! :D

I take Roxy with me to many of the places I go (that are appropriate). She's easy to bring a long because she's so small. When I'm at school, she lives with me in my apartment too. It's a college apartment, but it's a pretty decent sized apartment, so she still has plenty of room. She RARELY barks, so it's very easy to keep her in an apartment though. It's not possible to say that ALL chihuahuas bark, and its not possible to say that NO chihuahuas bark. This also just depends on the dog. Roxy has a great temperament and she doesn't bark. But, some do! There are ways to train them not to bark and other options to stop it too. :) Since Roxy rarely barks, I barely had to do any training. When she does bark when it's not necessary, I firmly tell her "no". But, a dog is a dog! They're going to bark sometimes, so I let it go when it's okay. :)

Look around and search the forum, you'll find a lot more advice and tips from training, walking on a leash, collars, food, etc. You'll learn things you'd never even think of! :)

Welcome!
Thank you so much!! Your reply had a lot of good information to keep in mind. I'd just want my dog to be friendly to my other dog, not bark so much to drive my parents insane, would be adaptable to an apartment when the time comes for me to move out, and would be open to petting from the many little kids I babysit and my little cousins (under supervision) :)

Soo, it seems like if I get a Chi from a responsible breeder it may be right for me! :D I will look around the forum for more info.

Thanks again!! :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
I agree that it all depends on the dog, but in general Chihuahuas do well in apartments, and when they are socialized young, they are good with other dogs and people, once they get to know them. It's important that the Chi feels safe when meeting new dogs and people or socialization can turn into fear rather than trust. My little girl was afraid of my Boxer-mix when we first brought her home, but she warmed up very fast and now they are best friends. She has an easier time meeting new people than big dogs, though.

I started introducing her to new sounds, places, people, and dogs right away, because she has a personality where she could turn into a very stand-offish adult if left to do things on her terms.

Ein is very stubborn so training takes patience. She is sooo smart (her name fits her perfectly!) but she wants to eat the food, not work for it :)

Other Chihuahuas I've worked with as a trainer and pet-sitter take time to get use to new people, but in general they are sweet. Often they will have a favorite person who they will be closer to than anyone, but this doesn't mean they won't love the whole family. They love to be with their people! Even independent personalities (like my naughty little girl) love people. She also loves to play with other dogs once she knows them, but I've known adult Chis who will bite other dogs who get in their space. Socialization is the key to any wonderful family dog!

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Hello and Welcome to CP. Sounds perfect for you. I like to meet the parents and as many siblings as possible to get a idea of the personality. It has ALWAYS worked FOR ME. I end up with temperment I am looking for if I find it in the parents.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's important that the Chi feels safe when meeting new dogs and people or socialization can turn into fear rather than trust.
I started introducing her to new sounds, places, people, and dogs right away, because she has a personality where she could turn into a very stand-offish adult if left to do things on her terms.
Socialization is the key to any wonderful family dog!
^Those parts especially helped, thanks a ton!! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello and Welcome to CP. Sounds perfect for you. I like to meet the parents and as many siblings as possible to get a idea of the personality. It has ALWAYS worked FOR ME. I end up with temperment I am looking for if I find it in the parents.
Thanks so much! I will definately make sure to spend lots of time with the parents if my family agrees to let me get a Chi:coolwink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts