Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I am new here. I am also a new(er) dog owner. My chihuahua Fred is the first dog I've ever owned. My husband shares a lab and a brittany spaniel (hunting dogs) with his brother, and they normally stay at his brothers house, because I don't do well with animals that shed a lot.

Fred is the cutest thing, he is about 9 months old, and has such a fun personality. My husband works from home, so he is with him all day long. He takes him out to the bathroom and normally on at least one walk a day.

My question is this: The last two days I have come home from work Fred has been ALL OVER ME. He needs constant attention, even if I am cooking, or wiping the counter, he will jump and push me, jump and push, or just stretch with his paws up my leg, he always needs to be touching me. When I get home I take over taking him out (several times) for the bathroom, I throw his toys, and play with him for awhile, but I do have other things to do so I can't constantly entertain him. If I go to the bathroom he sits and the door and whines or scratches it till I come out. If i'm laying not he couch, he has to be standing on me.

Last night he just stood on me forever, and I tried to play and throw his toys, but he just stood and looked. Then he started whining. He whines occasionally but really quiet and snaps out of it when we play with him/take him out to pee/ get him water/ whatever. But last night he was whining loudly for a good 10 minutes straight. Nothing I did got him to quiet down. He also had a chew toy and kept frantically scratching at me and the couch. I took him out to see if he wanted to dig or something outside but he wouldn't.

I guess I am just not sure what to do because this is totally abnormal behavior. He is whiney, and sullen almost, and then suddenly has energy like a bat out of hell and runs around the room 3 times, then comes back, looks at me and whines. Any ideas? I am starting to go mad because I can't do ANYTHING without him needing attention, or wanting to be on the counter while I am cooking, or whining. Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
This behavior actually sounds pretty typical. Chihuahua's are a velcro dog. They always want to be with you, lying on you or climbing on you, being held, played with, etc. They aren't really the sort of dog that just goes off by itself and does its own thing. Chi's LOVE their owners and want to be with them and interacting. Some call it needy. But I wouldn't call it abnormal. At all.

How long have you had Fred?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have had him for about 6 months. I guess I just felt like it was weird because thats not how he normally acts. He always wants to play and get attention, but not like the past two days, and normally he hardly ever whines. I was worried maybe he was sick or something.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I think any change in behaviour can be a sign that something is wrong. I would keep an eye on him to be on the safe side.
He is becoming an adult now, that may have something to do with it. Is he neutered? He is a very gorgeous boy!

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I think any change in behaviour can be a sign that something is wrong. I would keep an eye on him to be on the safe side.
He is becoming an adult now, that may have something to do with it. Is he neutered? He is a very gorgeous boy!
This is true. I guess I assumed he was new to OP. I agree that if you've had the puppy for a while and this behavior is new to be on the look out for medical issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

·
Registered
432 Posts
This behavior actually sounds pretty typical. Chihuahua's are a velcro dog. They always want to be with you, lying on you or climbing on you, being held, played with, etc. They aren't really the sort of dog that just goes off by itself and does its own thing. Chi's LOVE their owners and want to be with them and interacting. Some call it needy. But I wouldn't call it abnormal. At all.

How long have you had Fred?
I love your description of Chis being velcro dogs, Tracy... it sooo describes Harry to an absolute 'T', lol!

So, yeah, I agree it sounds like pretty typical Chi behaviour :)

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Hey Crystal!

Welcome to the forum. That picture is so cute, you guys are adorable. :)

Is it possible that you've been busier than usual lately? And possibly due to that
spending less time with Fred? He could simply be hyperactive and extra needy
due to boredom/lack of mental & physical stimulation. Try taking him for a jog,
or a couple extra on-leash walks, and see if he calms down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts