Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bella Boo and I just moved to Washington, DC from NY on thursday. We were previously in a home with another dog, and I can understand if she is sad/stressed/anxious. But she has only gone #2 three times in the past 3 days. She usually goes at least 2 times a day, often 3 times. Is this just from adjusting to a new home or should I be worried?

Also, any ideas to cheer her up? I feel like she is depressed without the other dog--she is being very clingy and whiney.

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
She may be eating less, therefore creating less poop. It's most likely stress-related.. I'd keep an eye on her and call the vet if it continues past a week.

Try taking her on a walk around the new neighborhood, letting her smell everything and get a lay of the land. If you have a routine that you followed with her in your old home, make sure to continue it in your new place so she'll have something familiar and make her feel safe.

Don't show her affection when she's being clingy and whiny though; if you do, you're telling her it's okay to be afraid and that behavior is what you want from her. You might try picking a moment when she's relaxed and cuddle her - or you might try giving her a massage when she's not being clingy, just to ease her and get her used to being calm in her new environment.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Sometimes a change of water can have a big affect on a dog (or person, for that matter). And I do think a change of environment in general can be very stressful to a dog. New smells, new sounds. I know Lily hates it even when I bring something new into the house. If we were to move I know she'd be weird for awhile... okay, weirder than usual. :lol:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I agree, it's probably stress related due to change in her environment and not having her little pal around. I know when I'm on vacation or just away from home a few days, it causes havoc with my system, and it probably affects our pets in much the same way. I wouldn't worry about it too much just yet, unless it continues beyond 2-3 weeks.

Rach, I know what you mean. :lol: Jazzy doesn't like it if I even move things around in the house. I moved the kitchen trash can from one side of the room to the other a few weeks ago. She acted like she was afraid of it, would not go near it and whined every time she went in the kitchen. I finally moved it back where it was, and presto - everything was hunky-dory again. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
chimom said:
I agree, it's probably stress related due to change in her environment and not having her little pal around. I know when I'm on vacation or just away from home a few days, it causes havoc with my system, and it probably affects our pets in much the same way. I wouldn't worry about it too much just yet, unless it continues beyond 2-3 weeks.

Rach, I know what you mean. :lol: Jazzy doesn't like it if I even move things around in the house. I moved the kitchen trash can from one side of the room to the other a few weeks ago. She acted like she was afraid of it, would not go near it and whined every time she went in the kitchen. I finally moved it back where it was, and presto - everything was hunky-dory again. :lol: :lol:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had to laugh here! :lol: I have always told my husband that our chis are such creatures of habit, so i know what you're talking about! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts