Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have just bought two chihuahua puppies, both boys called Rooney a nd Rio. I had a little girl called Pippa for over 16 years but we had to have her put to sleep in may 2011.

I am finding it very hard to cope with two this time round, they are 14 weeks and we have had them for just 4 weeks.

The biggest problem I have is toilet training them, I feel that I am doing everything that I should be doing taking them out in the garden regularly but they wait till they get in to do anything. I have found this site very helpful so far, so if anyone has any advice I would be very grateful.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Welcome to CP! I'm so sorry about your losing your beloved Pippa. I don understand what it is like to start over from an adult dog to a puppy--not two! My advice on the potty issue, for what it's worth, is go with the flow and use puppy pads if they are intent on going inside. Once they have mastered that, you can work on outside training. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Welcome! Please post pics of your little cuties soon.

Chi's are notoriously slow on the potty training. My first took until he was 5 months to be 100% consistent and my latest baby is 4 1/2 months and he is only about 80% of the way there. You sound like you're doing the right things, it's just patience and consistency. There are lots of tips and tricks suggested by members here, just do a forum search, maybe yo will find something that helps.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Welcome to CP!

Don't let the potty training bring you down! It's so difficult with Chis. Gemma will be 5 months in 4 days and she is 99% potty trained in our house (she uses pads). But if we take her to someone else's house and put a pad down, she just goes wherever she wants! She even knows how to go outside too, but also when we are not in our neighborhood, she will never potty outside. Drives me nuts!

Your guys will catch on eventually. I would actually advise against potty pads if you do not intend to use them forever. If you train them to pads now but you want them to go outside later, you're just going to have to start training all over again. Just be persistent with taking them outside and they will get it. Take them out every hour, and wait until they go to bring them back inside. You could even try buying some pee scented liquid training drops that you can use on the ground outside. Then they will be able to smell and hopefully be attracted to it to potty. Gemma trained herself to potty outside because of all the scents from other dogs. So if you put a few of those drops on the ground, that might help them get the idea that they're supposed to potty outside. I'm actually going to start using this method when we take Gemma to friend's and family member's houses since she never wants to potty outside when we're not at home.

This is the stuff I have:
M&C Train-Um Dog Training Solution 60mls - £4.39

Anyhow, we would all love to see some pics of your two little guys. Post some when you can!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Also, make sure to use an enzymatic cleaner after they have an accident in the house. It is very important that you completely rid any scent they left behind because if you don't, they will smell it and continue to potty in that spot. Even if you can't smell it because you washed it with hot water and soap, they most likely still can. That's why it's important to use an enzymatic cleaner, such as Nature's Miracle.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Crate train! I am a firm believer in crate training. It's not easy, but its probably the quickest way to do it. I got Angel at 9weeks old and he was trained by 3 or 4 months. It was difficult especially with my husband wanting him out of the crate all the time! But we made it, and now Angel loves his crate. At night, if he pesters me too much for play or sitting in my lap, I will say a firm "no" and he will go into his crate. He is only allowed on my lap if he is invited.

Where as you have 2 puppies, you may want to check into crate training. It may make your life easier.

Also, pee pads help! Angel will use them or go outside. I like the pads because if the weather is really bad, or you aren't feeling well, you don't have to worry about them.

Congratulations on your new family!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.