Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm Caz and have a 2 year old long haired chi called Roxy. I have a couple of questions and would really apprieciate some advice please. Roxy has just had her first litter of puppies. She had a completely natural birth and is doing very well. She gave birth to 4 puppies and 2 are doing very well but I'm concerned about the 2 boys they are not growing as quick as the girls. They were all around 120 - 125 grams at birth and they are now 12 days old. The boys are 145g and 198g and the girls are 408g and 469g. The vets don't seem to be very concerned and have suggested it could be fading puppy syndrome for the smaller boy:(. The bigger boy is latching on to mum and gaining weight nicely now and even tho alot smaller than girls he seems to be ok. I am feeding the smallest boy every 2 hours and helping him to latch on to mum, which he is doing now but wasnt for first 3 days he isnt latching on everytime sometimes he isnt intrested, but some is better than none i was thinking?. He is also colder than the others so am putting him on a hot water bottle. It is funny as one of the girls have opened their eyes and the smallest boy one eye is starting to open so he is quicker than other two for that and also he moves around the create no problem.

Coud anyone tell me if they have had this experience ? And can anyone give me any more advice on what I could be doing to give them the best chance of surival?

Caz x

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Hello & Welcome! :)

Would love to see some photos in some time please!

Congrats on the natural birth

have you tried feeding your smaller puppies with a bottle?
If you can go and buy a Newborn Avent bottel ( I find this the most efficient brand)
and mix up this formula:

1 Tbsp of Mayonnaise
1 Cup of Natural Yoghurt
1 Egg Yolk (only egg yolk, the white clogs the teat)
4oz of Boiled/Sterilized Water
8oz of Evaporated Milk

Use cheap brands (i.e. Tesco Value or Asda etc) as they contain the most calories and will help with weight gain.

Heat gently in the microwave don't let it seperate or over heat, make sure its not too hot before feeding it to him. Keep it in the fridge, its good for 7days. Its also good for weaning puppies. I find it better results than Lactol etc but thats personal experience.

If the boy is suffering Fading Puppy Sydrome not a lot can be done but to try and help him. Life Aid is also good for inactive puppies who seem to be failing.

If you'd like to know any more about this recipe or any help feel freeto PM me and ill try my best. Thanks x

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks hun once i have worked out site i will upload pictures thank you for being so friendly i was a little worried about asking from perious experience from another site not over breeding myself just someone didnt get a great response. Im not sure if he fading puppy or not he 2 weeks tomorrow and one of his eyes are starting to open which is quicker than 2 others. He weights 150grams tonight i have donr a chart of their weights they are 440g 490g 150g 212g the boys are the smaller weights. They look like 2 different litter of pups x Will try uploading pictures x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts